Keys to Week 1

eschej13

Here are my keys for the Bills in week 1.

1. Set the tone on defense. The revamped defense has an opportunity to make a statement against one of the best rushing offenses in football. Dareus and Williams need to be in the Kansas City backfield early and often. If they can bottle up Jamal Charles early, the Chiefs will be forced to throw the ball. Matt Cassel is effective at managing a game and picking his spots, but when forced to win a game he is prone to mistakes (see playoffs last season.) If the d-line keeps the run in check, it could be a long afternoon for Cassel (or Tyler Palko?)

2. Efficiency on offense. The Bills offense should not need to put up 30 points to win in week 1. Confidence along the offensive line is built through a solid running game. As long as Kansas City doesn't get up by 2 or 3 scores, expect a steady dose of Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller as well as a quick, efficient passing attack from Fitzpatrick. The last thing Buffalo should want to do this week is be overly complex. They should keep it very basic and let this o-line get their footing.

3. Avoid the critical mistake. The Bills' tendancy towards crucial mistakes at the worst time in games has been their undoing since the Music City Miracle. Ryan Fitzpatrick throws some bad interceptions from time to time, and this game is going to be close. Gailey seems to preach this, and it will especially be a key in this type of game.

Predication: I think the Bills put it together against a Kansas City team that overachieved last season. Chris Kelsay is a name that is sticking out to me for some reason this week as I think he will be largely forgotten due to all of the new faces that teams will have to plan for.

If Cassel plays, I see the Bills having to grind out a 20-16 win.

If Cassel doesn't play I see a laugher 24-6 Bills victory.

Either way, I think we'll feel good for about the first 4 weeks of the season until the Eagles come into town Columbus Day weekend and send us back to reality.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Pass rush

-Force turnovers

-Have SOME pass blocking from our o-line

-Establish Freddy early and throughout the game and use play action

-Williams Dareus Merriman -- enough said

Stop the run. KC is a running team. Stop the Run and then rush the passer.

now, enough said.

If Palko is the starter, load the box. Don't let Charles/Taylor beat you. If KC wants to win, palko is going to have to do it. Bring constant pressure, hope that our secondary is a solid as our coaching staff says it is. Bring no less than 5 defenders on each play, regardless of the situation.

Do not let Jamaal Charles get outside the tackles. IMO while the Bills' D is much stouter up the middle this year, they are still vulnerable on the outside. The Chiefs will try to exploit this weakness and look for ways to get the speedy Charles outside of the tackles. If that happens, we could give up big plays. The Bills D needs to stay disciplined and keep their lanes. If they do that, this is a very winnable game.

KC is no juggernaut. The Bills couldn't stop the run last year (200+ yards) and still nearly won. If Charles and/or Jones don't have big days, I foresee a lot of happy faces in Bills Country next Sunday afternoon.

If Palko is the starter, load the box. Don't let Charles/Taylor beat you. If KC wants to win, palko is going to have to do it. Bring constant pressure, hope that our secondary is a solid as our coaching staff says it is. Bring no less than 5 defenders on each play, regardless of the situation.

Cassel's injury makes Palko the likely starter, but regardless of who's QB-ing, bring heat. Cassel won't risk further damage to his rib. Lots of throw-aways, probably an INT or two.

"D"-are-us.

Absolutely. I think you gameplan alot differently with Palko as the starter.

Cassel isn't great, but he's cerebral enough to pick up on blitzes and will give the ball to McLuster, Bowe and Baldwin which could hurt us.

Great post. I'm looking for a very aggressive D in terms of blitzing. Not sure if we bring at least '5' on every play but I'd be thrilled if I saw it most of the game. Your point about Palko is spot on. If he's under center, he should be able to smell the breath of about 8 of our guys on every play. Scare the crap out of him.

Great post. I'm looking for a very aggressive D in terms of blitzing. Not sure if we bring at least '5' on every play but I'd be thrilled if I saw it most of the game. Your point about Palko is spot on. If he's under center, he should be able to smell the breath of about 8 of our guys on every play. Scare the crap out of him.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything - it is always possible Palko doesn't scare? "Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz"

Bob in StL has it right. KC is a running team. Cassel or Palko, stop the run, stop the Chiefs

Not to be a wet blanket or anything - it is always possible Palko doesn't scare? "Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz"

Bob in StL has it right. KC is a running team. Cassel or Palko, stop the run, stop the Chiefs

Sure. But I'd make him prove it. It's rare that an untested guy will come in and make 'more good decisions than bad ones.' Not impossible but less likely.

I think we're close to being on the same page anyway. As I said, If there are a bunch of guys in the box we are gearing to stop the run regardless. Essentially, daring him to pass.

Our base D 'might' be effective at stopping the run. I just think that coming out in the first game, on the road, you need to be a bit more aggressive than playing straight up. As above, I didn't think sending 'at least 5' on every play was necessary but I did want to see a good bit of blitzing (even run blitzes).