Will Spiller fall below the Maybin line?

CSBill

None of us what to say it out load, but is CJ Spiller heading in the same direction as Arron Maybin?

So far, very little production. And in my understanding of the way things work, running buck may be the easiest way to have immediate impact in the NFL. It's not really a development position, you either have it or you don't. I would contend that any RB taken in the top ten, better be at an All-Pro level very early in their careers.

If Spiller has another year like last year, I would say he is a worse pick than Maybin; drafted higher, at a position where success should come sooner than later, etc.

I hope he doesn't, I would love to see him succeed, but a number 9 pick has to be more than just an average player; and at this point, Spiller is not even average.

Yeah I said that and got grilled but I cant say he is as bad or worse than Maybin, that guy was strait up terrible. Spiller should have been Bulaga.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us what to say it out load, but is CJ Spiller heading in the same direction as Arron Maybin?

So far, very little production. And in my understanding of the way things work, running buck may be the easiest way to have immediate impact in the NFL. It's not really a development position, you either have it or you don't. I would contend that any RB taken in the top ten, better be at an All-Pro level very early in their careers.

If Spiller has another year like last year, I would say he is a worse pick than Maybin; drafted higher, at a position where success should come sooner than later, etc.

I hope he doesn't, I would love to see him succeed, but a number 9 pick has to be more than just an average player; and at this point, Spiller is not even average.

My, my. Where does one begin. I mean, holy crap, the fact Spiller was drafted 2 spots before Maybin means he should be like, 20x the player. Right?

Please do not ever put Spiller and Maybin together.

I think it's silly to say all styles of runner face an easy transition. I think spiller is from the mold that struggle most early. Has to learn pass blocking, can't just rely on speed so he has to re-learn reading blocks. A 4.5 between the tackles mark Ingram runner will still be doing the same thing at this level, a 4.3 small outside runner will not. You see this transition oftenfrom smaller speed backs.

There is an observant man!

Maybin and mike williams are all time bust. Spiller at worse will be a useful player.

Mike Williams certainly didn't live up to his potential, but still the guy did start for the Bills for 4 years and had 47 game starts at RT.

Both Maybin and McCargo were the worst first rounder's ever IMO. Maybin was drafted to be a pass rusher, and had zero sacks during his time in Buffalo. The Bills traded up into the first round to take a guy most other teams had pegged as a 3rd- 4th rounder, McCargo in 5 years he had ONE game start

Spiller still may prove his worth, he just needs to watch FJ and learn

I think the talk of Spiller being a bust is ridiculous. He has 74 carries for 283 yards and a 3.8 yard average. 25 catches for 157 yards and a 6.5 yard average.

Could he have been more productive? Yes. Did he have a "great" year last year? No.

To call him a bust just doesn't make sense to me. 3.8 yards is not terrible, it is average. I don't think you can call him a bust because he got 99 touches his first year and averaged 4.45 yards on each touch. That can by all means get better but that certainly wouldn't put him at Maybin status. Come on!

Yeah, he's not a bust, just an incredibly stupid pick for a team to take a toy rather than some substance to help build a line that makes toys valuable. Horrible waste of a top ten pick. He makes more sense for a team like the Colts/Steelers/Packers.

You're right. RBs always either have it or not. They never develop into great runners over a couple of seasons.

Sincerely,

Jamal Charles

Interesting...so who did he beat out for the starting job his second year after a 357yd no TD freshman year? Since nobody ever answers a direct question on this board I'll answer for you.....NOBODY!!! Larry Johnson was gone. I seem to recall KC had something called...what was it again?.....OH!!...a competent offensive line ;)

Your welcome for the FULL history lesson :) Seems much different when you look at the whole story doesn't it.

I guess I agree with you.

Love,

Darren McFadden

Are you referring to McFadden's AWESOME 357yd 1 TD sophomore season? I seem to recall something about a O-line on this one as well. Hrmmmm.

Edited by PDaDdy

There are guys like Mike Williams who can actually play some ball -- but are nowhere near worthy of being selected where they were in the draft. Let's not forget that Big Mike did a pretty good job as a rookie playing RT, protecting Drew. We actually got pretty good production out of him for a year-and-a-half. He had trouble keeping his weight down and didn't have the ridiculous threshold for pain that is required for a guy to play OT in the NFL. I call that one classification of a draft bust.

Then there are guys like Maybin, who simply cannot play football for whatever reason. They have no business ever being drafted in the first place. Shame, shame on the Bills for having drafted this guy!

The verdict is still out on C.J. He clearly has talent and has already shown that he can play some football. So he may not be a bust at all. And if he is, he will be more of a "reach" kind of bust than a horrible misstep like the Maybin selection was.

In 1975, a 4th overall draft pick ran for just over 600 yards and avg 3.5 per carry. In 1988, a second round pick ran for just over 800 yards, while avg. 4.3 ypc, and in 1990, a RB ran for over 900 yards, averging less than 4 ypc. It's true, a great degree of backs have success early; Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, LT, recently, AP, CJ2k, Arian Foster surpased the 1,200 yard mark. It appears to be a predicate that early success, will predict future success. Even thoughs running backs that are wedded to a dud must find some way to transcend their teams' perpetual mediocrity and a play to the highest of levels, like the greats: Walter Payton, Thurman Thomas, and Emmitt Smith--oh, yeah the aforementioned running backs stats.

A number 9 pick should be more than average you say?

Look up how many first round number 9 picks ended up "average". I did not rate the most recent ones. X marks the spot on average, some of my ratings may be debatable but many turned out to be average or below average. See below:

2011 Tyron Smith Cowboys 1 9 9 T USC

2010 C.J. Spiller Bills 1 9 9 RB Clemson

2009 B.J. Raji Packers 1 9 9 DT Boston College

2008 Keith Rivers Bengals 1 9 9 LB USC

2007 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins 1 9 9 WR Ohio State - x

2006 Ernie Sims Lions 1 9 9 LB Florida State - x

2005 Carlos Rogers Redskins 1 9 9 DB Auburn -x

2004 Reggie Williams Jaguars 1 9 9 WR Washington -x

2003 Kevin Williams Vikings 1 9 9 DE Oklahoma State

2002 John Henderson Jaguars 1 9 9 DT Tennessee

2001 Koren Robinson Seahawks 1 9 9 WR North Carolina State - x

2000 Brian Urlacher Bears 1 9 9 LB New Mexico

1999 Chris Claiborne Lions 1 9 9 LB USC - x

1998 Fred Taylor Jaguars 1 9 9 RB Florida

1997 Tom Knight Cardinals 1 9 9 DB Iowa - x

1996 Rickey Dudley Raiders 1 9 9 TE Ohio State - x

1995 Kyle Brady Jets 1 9 9 TE Penn State - x

1994 Antonio Langham Browns 1 9 9 DB Alabama - x

1993 Lincoln Kennedy Falcons 1 9 9 T Washington

1992 Tommy Vardell Browns 1 9 9 RB Stanford - x

1991 Stanley Richard Chargers 1 9 9 DB Texas - x

1990 Richmond Webb Dolphins 1 9 9 T Texas A&M

1989 Sammie Smith Dolphins 1 9 9 RB Florida State - x

1988 Terry McDaniel Raiders 1 9 9 DB Tennessee

1987 Jerome Brown Eagles 1 9 9 DT Miami (FL)

1986 John Rienstra Steelers 1 9 9 G Temple - x

1985 Kevin Allen Eagles 1 9 9 T Indiana

1984u Joey Jones Falcons 1 9 9 WR Alabama - x

1984 Rick Bryan Falcons 1 9 9 DT Oklahoma - x

1983 Bruce Matthews Oilers 1 9 9 G USC

1982 Gerald Riggs Falcons 1 9 9 RB Arizona State

1981 Mel Owens Rams 1 9 9 LB Michigan - x

1980 Doug Martin Vikings 1 9 9 DT Washington - x

1979 Al Harris Bears 1 9 9 DE Arizona State

1978 Keith Simpson Seahawks 1 9 9 DB Memphis State - x

1977 Mike Butler Packers 1 9 9 DE Kansas - x

1976 Bubba Bean Falcons 1 9 9 RB Texas A&M - x

1975 Mike Fanning Rams 1 9 9 DT Notre Dame - x

1974 Wilbur Jackson 49ers 1 9 9 RB Alabama - x

1973 Otis Armstrong Broncos 1 9 9 RB Purdue - x

1972 Jerome Barkum Jets 1 9 9 WR Jackson State - x

1971 John Brockington Packers 1 9 9 RB Ohio State

1970 Cedric Hardman 49ers 1 9 9 DE North Texas State

1969 Marty Domres Chargers 1 9 9 QB Columbia - x

1968 Haven Moses Bills 1 9 9 WR San Diego State - x

1967 Bob Hyland Packers 1 9 9 G Boston College - x

Edited by Bob in STL

In 1975, a 4th overall draft pick ran for just over 600 yards and avg 3.5 per carry. In 1988, a second round pick ran for just over 800 yards, while avg. 4.3 ypc, and in 1990, a RB ran for over 900 yards, averging less than 4 ypc. It's true, a great degree of backs have success early; Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, LT, recently, AP, CJ2k, Arian Foster surpased the 1,200 yard mark. It appears to be a predicate that early success, will predict future success. Even thoughs running backs that are wedded to a dud must find some way to transcend their teams' perpetual mediocrity and a play to the highest of levels, like the greats: Walter Payton, Thurman Thomas, and Emmitt Smith--oh, yeah the aforementioned running backs stats.

Payton, Thomas, and Smith all had hugely better rookie seasons that Spiller. That doesn't disqualify CJ by any stretch, but I'm not convinced about his future potential because great running backs had rookie seasons with 3-4 times his yardage.

I think it's silly to say all styles of runner face an easy transition. I think spiller is from the mold that struggle most early. Has to learn pass blocking, can't just rely on speed so he has to re-learn reading blocks. A 4.5 between the tackles mark Ingram runner will still be doing the same thing at this level, a 4.3 small outside runner will not. You see this transition oftenfrom smaller speed backs.

This is a great observation.

A couple of people beat me to the punch (not that I post very often, just read) but McFadden was considered a bust after his first couple of years and is now a STUD. Spiller will be fine and the Bills will be much improved this year. If we had a young "franchise" QB a la the Browns or Rams, the talking heads would be a lot higher on the Bills right now. Unfortunatley, Fitzpatrick doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I heard on SportsCenter last night they called him Fitzgerald for crying out loud.

Winning Week 1 vs. KC would be huge...and a give us a great shot at starting out 2-0 going into the NE game.