Are we that good? Or are Jags that bad?

Put it this way:

The Lions just blew out the Pats. I guarantee you that if the Bills O line played as bad against Jacksonville as the Pats O line against Detroit, this board would have had a conniption. Are we to conclude that the Pats are going to be a second-rate team this year? Why not? The Pats D line was just as awful as their O.

What happens if the Lions win the Super Bowl? It is possible... and how would that reflect on teams like the Bills and Bengals who are spinning their wheels? The Raiders don't count because Al Davis is nuts...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have not finished watching the game. What I know. After 1st half, bills 1st team rested.

If not for a fake pass interference, we had them stopped on 4th and 3.... Bills keep the ball on almost the 50 yr line. Heck. Maybe we could have added to the 17....

I really study preseason with an emphasis on game 3. However the 1st 2 games were very different from the 3rd.

So what guys? Are we good.....Is there hope?

Bills opponents always suck. If we lose to them, it is "OMG, Look how pathetic we are, we even lost to <insert team name>". If we win, "Its really no big deal, the <insert team name> is prety bad"

IF Roscoe Parrish is in the game, that does a lot to negate the 3 Jag pass rushers that weren't in the game.

Roscoe Parrish will do little to nothing to negate 3 starting defensive linemen sitting out. A slot receiver isn't run blocking in A-gaps, and the Jags lost a lot more than just a pass rush.

My point was not to start an argument about who sat more players, but to highlight the effectiveness our skill position players had behind competent blocking. Again, it shows that with some OL help this offensive can move the ball well.

Put it this way:

The Lions just blew out the Pats. I guarantee you that if the Bills O line played as bad against Jacksonville as the Pats O line against Detroit, this board would have had a conniption. Are we to conclude that the Pats are going to be a second-rate team this year? Why not? The Pats D line was just as awful as their O.

The point is: anybody can have a bad game. And, anybody can have a good one. The Jags had players sitting out, but so did we. IF Roscoe Parrish is in the game, that does a lot to negate the 3 Jag pass rushers that weren't in the game. And on and on....if Jones-Drew was in the game, but, if Merriman was in the game...blah, blah, blah.

The truth is that the Bills players that were in the game on both sides of the ball executed play after play, consistently, against another NFL team that has been decent recently. But, we can read as much into this as we can read into the Pats getting thrown around the field last game.

Very good point.

What happens if the Lions win the Super Bowl? It is possible... and how would that reflect on teams like the Bills and Bengals who are spinning their wheels? The Raiders don't count because Al Davis is nuts...

I only chose the Lions example, because nobody would say they are a better team than the Pats right now. There are a lot more teams that have the potential to win the SB each year than the media would have you believe. The "any given Sunday" saying is real, and accurate. If the Bills are spinning their wheels, we will see that this season. I doubt that even Gailey will be able to hide it.

Roscoe Parrish will do little to nothing to negate 3 starting defensive linemen sitting out. A slot receiver isn't run blocking in A-gaps, and the Jags lost a lot more than just a pass rush.

My point was not to start an argument about who sat more players, but to highlight the effectiveness our skill position players had behind competent blocking. Again, it shows that with some OL help this offensive can move the ball well.

If you have Roscoe in the slot: You don't really need a running game, because you put the other team in nickel, unless they are idiots, and open up the 4 yard passing game, because they have to give him and the other WR a cushion. It's like West Coast, sort of. Nobody is dumb enough to try and play press coverage against both Parrish and Johnson(or hopefully our newly minted, equally good #2) on the same side of the field. If either gets free, it's 6, or it's get tackled by the FS 20 yards down the field. That's too much risk for a defense, so, one of them will be open for a 4 yard gain most of the time.

The only way you beat that is by being able to cover him with a safety. Good luck! No safety in the league can cover Roscoe 1 v 1. So, the 2 second quick shots to Parrish with Johnson setting up the WR screen...can be deadly. And, all of this is based on the 2 second play. 2 second plays negate everybody's pass rush, not just the Jags. 2 second plays to Roscoe, with a cushion in front of him...nice :D

I reiterate my argument: I believe the offense Gailey actually wants to run is this 2 second play offense. He's not doing it because he has to. This is by design, and not default. More and more evidence of this is becoming apparent. This type of offense means the O line only has to REALLY pass protect every 5-8 plays. It also only has to REALLY run block with the same frequency. In this style of offense, the O line just isn't that important. This type of offense is about deception, and mismatches-->see Poz trying to cover Jackson down the field last game. It is not about holding the point of attack for 3 seconds/power football. We'll see if it works, but, right now, I see this as the most likely explanation for why they aren't doing much, and saying even less, about the O line.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Bills opponents always suck. If we lose to them, it is "OMG, Look how pathetic we are, we even lost to <insert team name>". If we win, "Its really no big deal, the <insert team name> is prety bad"

i get your point. i didnt want that kind of interpretation.

i actually think the jags were a good test.

bottom line for me RIGHT NOW barring no injury, we are competitive. not superbowl ready. but maybe playoff ready. i saw all the players, specially on DEFENSE, big time energized and hungry to win.

this is the attitude we need to see. "in your face. knock you ass out attitude"

its good to see this on other players besides MAYBIN jumping up and down after tackling someone 15 yrds down the field....

Have not finished watching the game. What I know. After 1st half, bills 1st team rested.

If not for a fake pass interference, we had them stopped on 4th and 3.... Bills keep the ball on almost the 50 yr line. Heck. Maybe we could have added to the 17....

I really study preseason with an emphasis on game 3. However the 1st 2 games were very different from the 3rd.

The Jags are not good on either side of the ball. Here is my issue with all this...when Fitz and the O were not looking good in the first 2 preseason games, and even camp in general, people kept saying its preseason, relax. When we got lit up by Denver, again, its preseason, so relax. Then when we do have a good performance, everyone wants to now say, "see I told you so". However, if its just "preseason" when we play bad, isnt it still just "preseason" when we play good? Why is everyone wanting to make the excuse of preseason when its a bad outing, and then turn around and say our good outings are the real Bills?

For me, I loved seeing the offense finally show some light. Easley was impressive which was also exciting. Fitz finally looked good this preseason, however, there were several balls he threw while he was still perfect that I did not like the decision as they were pretty ill advised throws where if he was even a fraction off target they will turn into pick sixes. Yes, he completed them, but given his inconsistency with his accuracy in the past, and against a better secondary, those are the kinds of throws that can easily turn into a pick six. Not taking anything away from him, it was a great outing and his TD passes were great throws right on the money. But one game like this against a bad secondary doesnt remove all my concerns about his decision making and accuracy issues that have plagued him over his career. I mean even Trent had a good game this time last year. I want nothing more than to see Fitz come out each week and have strong outings, but I will wait until I see some consistency in the regular season for I stop thinking we still need to upgrade our QB and OL to be able to get back to the playoffs.

So, for me, it was a both a good outing for us and also helped I think by the fact that Jax isnt very good. Still encouraging though, and I hope the offense can build on it. I am really pulling for Easley to take over this #2 spot by week 1 or early in the season. His physical gifts are amazing and I have liked this prospect since we took him. He by far has the most upside of the other guys competing for #2, and honestly, may even over take SJ as the #1 target here if he fulfills his potential.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I only chose the Lions example, because nobody would say they are a better team than the Pats right now. There are a lot more teams that have the potential to win the SB each year than the media would have you believe. The "any given Sunday" saying is real, and accurate. If the Bills are spinning their wheels, we will see that this season. I doubt that even Gailey will be able to hide it.

If you have Roscoe in the slot: You don't really need a running game, because you put the other team in nickel, unless they are idiots, and open up the 4 yard passing game, because they have to give him and the other WR a cushion. It's like West Coast, sort of. Nobody is dumb enough to try and play press coverage against both Parrish and Johnson(or hopefully our newly minted, equally good #2) on the same side of the field. If either gets free, it's 6, or it's get tackled by the FS 20 yards down the field. That's too much risk for a defense, so, one of them will be open for a 4 yard gain most of the time.

The only way you beat that is by being able to cover him with a safety. Good luck! No safety in the league can cover Roscoe 1 v 1. So, the 2 second quick shots to Parrish with Johnson setting up the WR screen...can be deadly. And, all of this is based on the 2 second play. 2 second plays negate everybody's pass rush, not just the Jags. 2 second plays to Roscoe, with a cushion in front of him...nice :D

I reiterate my argument: I believe the offense Gailey actually wants to run is this 2 second play offense. He's not doing it because he has to. This is by design, and not default. More and more evidence of this is becoming apparent. This type of offense means the O line only has to REALLY pass protect every 5-8 plays. It also only has to REALLY run block with the same frequency. In this style of offense, the O line just isn't that important. This type of offense is about deception, and mismatches-->see Poz trying to cover Jackson down the field last game. It is not about holding the point of attack for 3 seconds/power football. We'll see if it works, but, right now, I see this as the most likely explanation for why they aren't doing much, and saying even less, about the O line.

You're going to upset the "3 yards and a cloud of dust is the way the Bills should play football" crowd with your suggestions on how Gailey is designing/running the offense.

17-10 is not handily, imo.

Actually it was 4th and 3 when the fake pass interference was called. YES FAKE. Lets forget about this fake call, point 2 is more sound.

Point 2. Announcers concurred about that play not happening in the REGULAR SEASON. They would have punted. Bills have plenty of time to possibly add more points. (20-3 or 24-3?)If I remember correctly Steve said something like this, "this play is only taking place to give the first team offense more playing time" IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A PUNT in regular season.

So yes, the score should have been minimum at 17-3. Handily, yes, imo.

We are good...scary good...

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Fear the 'stache!!!!! B-)

post-2970-007264000 1314745835_thumb.jpeg

I think we could be back on track to projecting a Jauron-inspired 7-9 year! Its amazing that would now be considered success?!?

:rolleyes:

The Bills are better than that this year.

Keep in mind they were 3 O/T losses to playoff teams away from being that 7-9 team LAST season.

Additionally - they threw away the first half of the season trying to learn how to play 3-4 with the wrong players, starting Edwards for 2 weeks, and starting Lynch for a month so they could showcase him for the trade everyone knew was coming.

10-6.