Jasper as ILB??

D521646

Jasper is not doing well at all, to be honest. He is getting pushed around by smaller players. He has yet to learn the technique for putting his weight and strength to maximum effect. We all hoped he'd be better but it's a big leap from NAIA D-2 to the NFL. He still has a lot to learn. Practice squad is his best hope right now.

PTR

I don't disagree at all, however I'm thinking out loud about how we could indeed use him effectively, as thus far I believe we're setting him up for failure due to his inexperience, BUT he does have some attributes that could indeed make him a good fit. One note though. In all fairness, other than a few plays here and there from what I've seen he has been double teamed the whole pre season. he does lack some fundamental, I'll concede that point, but we don't want to lose this kid IMO. With the right coaching he can be a beast, especially if he shed a few pounds.

Tim-

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think that Jasper ever at ilb would ever be a possibility? That's insane. The play would be behind him before he even go to the line and if a quarterback saw that mamoth at ILB he would audible the play immediately to take advantage of the fact that we have a 400 lb ilb in the game. This wouldn't even work in Madden.

Do you honestly think that Jasper ever at ilb would ever be a possibility? That's insane. The play would be behind him before he even go to the line and if a quarterback saw that mamoth at ILB he would audible the play immediately to take advantage of the fact that we have a 400 lb ilb in the game. This wouldn't even work in Madden.

Ok coach, or QB, what do you do on 2nd/3rd down when you see Jasper lining up behind the NT? Come on sparky, break it to me. :)

Tim-

Ok coach, or QB, what do you do on 2nd/3rd down when you see Jasper lining up behind the NT? Come on sparky, break it to me. :)

Tim-

Run a middle screen knowing that he's not agile enough to move in open space and his size and momentum will take him out of the play early.

On a somewhat more serious note, I do love the idea of Big Mike occasionally carrying the ball on 1st and goal from the 1, a la William 'The Refrigerator' Perry B-)

You know I'm not sure he'd be that effective. Did anyone see the play where Jasper recovered that fumble? Just before that he got blown back so bad by a Jags blocker he looked like he was on wheels.

PTR

Tim-

um, lets see here, how about put my runningback in motion with an empty backfield, it would be clear jasper wouldn't be going into coverage and that he will blitz so it's guarenteed the middle of the field would be open for play action, I'd attack the middle of the field with a throw to freddie or cj or more simply run straight at his fat, slow, ass for a first down.

Writing the "Jasper as ILB" and the word "thoughts" is so conflicting that my head just asploded!

The defensive line is made up of a nose tackle (NT) and two defensive ends (DEs). Linemen in 3–4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4–3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. 3–4 defensive ends were usually defensive tackles when entering at first. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. Size and strength become more of a factor for linemen in 3–4 defenses than in 4–3 defenses because they move primarily within the confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability

My take using Jasper in this "scheme" (Know what a scheme is) is clear. It's not a 4-3 but a stronger 3 - 4. Ya know for football fans you all seem a little trigger happy, and completely linear in your thinking.

Tim-

Run a middle screen knowing that he's not agile enough to move in open space and his size and momentum will take him out of the play early.

He's NOT supposed to move in space.. Sheesh, people please read?

Tim-

You know I'm not sure he'd be that effective. Did anyone see the play where Jasper recovered that fumble? Just before that he got blown back so bad by a Jags blocker he looked like he was on wheels.

PTR

Shame on you, PTR...bad-mouthing Big Mike...while wearing his jersey...

I've been watching Jasper closely, as I'm pulling for him, but as it stands he doesn't make this team, however; Given his weaknesses thus far I note that he needs a lot of work on his hands, and foot-work. That said, I would like to see Gailey try him out on run blitz, and pass blitz packages as an ILB, standing up 2 or 3 paces back from the Nose Tackle. This way what he lacks in fundamentals can be made up with his strength in weight and size. My "guess" is that if Jasper has a 3 - 4 step run at the line, he gets in, and penetrates more easily, even if they double team him, like they have been doing. I'd like to see that experiment play out for a few snaps just to see if my instincts are correct.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

Finally, someone is making some sense around here!

I think Jasper would be much better suited to lining up off the line and getting some momentum like you said. Now, if we could somehow drop him from an elevated position, like a low flying plane or glider, on to opposing QBs or linemen, that would be even better. Just my opinion, flame away!

Jasper is not doing well at all, to be honest. He is getting pushed around by smaller players. He has yet to learn the technique for putting his weight and strength to maximum effect. We all hoped he'd be better but it's a big leap from NAIA D-2 to the NFL. He still has a lot to learn. Practice squad is his best hope right now.

PTR

When Jasper learns to keep his pad level low and starts playing with leverage like all lineman need to do, then he'll be a force. Right now he is all brute strength and little technique. Not a surprise smaller guys who understand leverage are able to move him. They're basically taking him where his own momentum wants him to go.

A year on the practice squad, film study, training, OTAs, etc. and a chance to just learn the game and I think Jasper will be just fine. He's dedicated and intelligent. At this stage those are the things he needs most.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

yes, exactly, but you folks are missing the point. The point being that now with Jasper sitting off the line in the middle, the opposing team has two options, either run left, or run right, or throw. if they throw, blowing up the middle probably a win for us, and if a run, we have speedy LB's for that contingency.

Think defensively, and strategically.

Tim-

Maybe, but the offense has the luxury of running left, right, or throwing against a defense that is severely handicapped.

Maybe, but the offense has the luxury of running left, right, or throwing against a defense that is severely handicapped.

How is it handicapped? How is it any different than a stronger 4 - 3? (Misspoke earlier saying stronger 3 - 4)

Tim-

yes, exactly, but you folks are missing the point. The point being that now with Jasper sitting off the line in the middle, the opposing team has two options, either run left, or run right, or throw. if they throw, blowing up the middle probably a win for us, and if a run, we have speedy LB's for that contingency.

Think defensively, and strategically.

Tim-

The possibilities are endless...you are putting a defender in who has to have basic cover skills and run stopping skills. Suffice it to say, Jasper would be one dimensional. I.e. he is going to run blitz every play. I think an offensive coordinator of a 'professional' football team could exploit this. Much of the NFL is about isolation on a defender and exploitation. This is a set up and if they don't attack mike directly someone else is 'thin' in covering for him. I love your bravado and it would be neat to see 'that' defense. Just wouldn't work but for the initial surprise.

To directly answer your question...Come up in Single back set with two tight ends, two wide outs. QB under center. He sees Mike drooling at behind the nose. Audible to shotgun formation; one tight end drops to fullback slot (giving you two blockers in backfield). there is a 'hole' in your 3-4 defense. Run hot (quick) patterns with two wideouts and remaining tight end. I suspect we'd complete this most of the time.

I don't disagree at all, however I'm thinking out loud about how we could indeed use him effectively, as thus far I believe we're setting him up for failure due to his inexperience, BUT he does have some attributes that could indeed make him a good fit. One note though. In all fairness, other than a few plays here and there from what I've seen he has been double teamed the whole pre season. he does lack some fundamental, I'll concede that point, but we don't want to lose this kid IMO. With the right coaching he can be a beast, especially if he shed a few pounds.

Tim-

You shouldn't do this. It's better to remain quiet and have people think you're an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Ah.. Skepticism.. What a shock. Look he's not an everydown linebacker, apparently people can't read? :)

Anyway, try and stop a 400 pound man with a motor if he has 3 - 4 steps to get going? I don't see how you stop him? It's not like he will drop back into coverage.. Sheesh..

Tim-

Not skepticism, incredulity. Don't be snarky cause you had a dumb idea and people shoot it down.