A Quick Thought About Merriman....

If the Bills defense is going to improve as much as I and others believe, I think that Merriman will be the biggest factor. I say this despite having high hopes for Carrington. I am very high on Dareus, but he is a rookie.

Merriman is a potential superstar. He showed this against the Bears. He had problems and sort of faded out of the picture, but imo he has all world talent. If the Bills can improve their run defense (which Dareus will help big time), AND they can put up some points, teams will have to throw. Under these conditions, I can picture a healthy Merriman with as many as 14 or so sacks, along with blocked passes and a ton of pressure in general. He was a great signing by virtue of what he can possibly do.

Now, let's take this to the OL (you knew I would lol). I hope that the Bills make a move at a UFA blocker. Brian Waters perhaps? If we can make the OL better, even for a season, it can open the door to winning football games.

I subscribe to the Edwards Arm theory. If you can draft a franchise QB, take him. I add that if you can't, go grab a LT. Look at superbowl rosters and you will more often than not see very good to great LTs.

Perhaps a player such as Waters can buy us time. We would be a better team this season, and be allowed bide our time to make a big time move at either a QB or LT next season.

My point is that signing a vet such as Merriman is looking great right now. There is nothing to lose by going after a blocker who can potentially help us a great deal. The money is there and the time is right to take a chance.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

I kind of agree and like the idea but judging from early days of FA unless there is a young one that fits the team, that becomes available by the start of the season. I just don't see it. I sincerely doubt the FO signs an older one. I say on D it is a different story because they got some options that fit their plan somehow. I think we go LT high in next years draft and see a full year of Bell, whether or not he pans out, it is honestly what I see happening. Not in love with the idea but not the coach or GM either.

Imho, I really feel the bills should make a move for the oline. If we look at what they did for the D, why not do the same for the O? You bring in a vet, if possible, to teach Hairston and the rest of the backups on the oline.

Kirk morrison is a perfect example. Shep , white, and all the young guys can really learn. So why not do the same thing with the oline? Even if it is for depth purposes.

Not comfortable with wrotto or howard......dam urbik too!! If the oline is not addressed it just makes me wonder how bad the fo wants to win.

Just imagine if fitz had some time back there.....

Agree on Merriman If healthy, he makes this a top 10 defense.

As for LT, since 2006, the only LT who has played for a SB team who I'd call above average is Matt Light. But continuing to upgrade the O-line should be the goal, and I think they do that next year.

Edited by Doc

HOF, I can't disagree with what you're saying about the line.

But my question is: What upgrade is out there? If Waters was a good addition, I think someone, Bills or another team, would have snatched him up already. As I pointed out in the thread about Hairston, almost every team in the NFL says they would like to improve their line play. So if Waters is that good, why is he still unemployed?

Anyhow, I do agree, if we can improve with an addition, go for it. But in the long haul, drafting good lineman and developing the ones you have, or get, is a far better solution than trying to bottom-feed on the NFL o-lineman free agent pond.

But my question is: What upgrade is out there? If Waters was a good addition, I think someone, Bills or another team, would have snatched him up already. As I pointed out in the thread about Hairston, almost every team in the NFL says they would like to improve their line play. So if Waters is that good, why is he still unemployed?

Well, McKinnie was unemployed. The Ravens signed him. They took a gamble which could pay off for them over a period of time, or it may not.

The Bills have the cap space and nothing to lose imo.

If the Bills defense is going to improve as much as I and others believe, I think that Merriman will be the biggest factor.

Can't agree with your basic premise - sorry.

Merriman will be a big help, but the addition of Dareus and a year of physical development by Carrington and Troup PLUS the healthy return of Batten and Barnett's coverage ability >> Poz will be more important.

Bill,

Agreed...Also, don't underestimate the role Barnett is going to have in stopping the run or covering the TE and the Bills have quite a few in the AFC East to contend in the TE department.

I am excited about the possibilities with this defense...The question is: Is Edwards up to the task of running a good defense with this improved group of talent ? I still have my doubts on him...May be Mustache will be able to guide him to run a better defense.

On the OL, I agree that if we can hire a RT even for a year, who can provide some calm and balance to that line, it will be wonderful. But it has to be at one of the tackle position. I think Gailey should stop the experiment with the interior OL and move forward.

I think the key may be Max Starks..He is better than what we got both at the LT and RT and has the experience...The question is: Will he sign for a one year contract?

Edited by ganesh

Can't agree with your basic premise - sorry.

Merriman will be a big help, but the addition of Dareus and a year of physical development by Carrington and Troup PLUS the healthy return of Batten and Barnett's coverage ability >> Poz will be more important.

I hope you are right. I am optimistic about every player you mention. Again, my sights are higher for Merriman, for whom I think that the possibility exists for him to be a superstar.

We shall see.....

Agree on Merriman If healthy, he makes this a top 10 defense.

As for LT, since 2006, the only LT who has played for a SB team who I'd call above average is Matt Light. But continuing to upgrade the O-line should be the goal, and I think they do that next year.

Very risky assumption.

This D had better look to rely on plenty of factors other than Merriman's health to be successful

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

My point is that signing a vet such as Merriman is looking great right now. There is nothing to lose by going after a blocker who can potentially help us a great deal. The money is there and the time is right to take a chance.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

Yes, he was a very good signing. Based on what we have been seeing in the pre-season games, we may not need to depend on him for the base defense. If his health is a concern, we can play him sparingly and yet get very good impact on the game. Also, his veteran presence will benefit the locker room. Frankly, I am quite excited about our D in general. We have loaded up on talent and so far it looks like we are better at drafting than we were in the past (lost) decade

Yes, he was a very good signing. Based on what we have been seeing in the pre-season games, we may not need to depend on him for the base defense. If his health is a concern, we can play him sparingly and yet get very good impact on the game. Also, his veteran presence will benefit the locker room. Frankly, I am quite excited about our D in general. We have loaded up on talent and so far it looks like we are better at drafting than we were in the past (lost) decade

This is the best signing since we lured Takeo Spikes....Takeo was outstanding in his first year here...I hope Merriman can reproduce that magic......Seeing Brady on his back on the RWS turf with Spikes, Adams and Milloy all over him was a feast...something we are yet to see since then....

Well, McKinnie was unemployed. The Ravens signed him. They took a gamble which could pay off for them over a period of time, or it may not.

The Bills have the cap space and nothing to lose imo.

Which they seem to be using for extensions like Kyle Williams and Steve Johnson, and maybe Fitz. I think after the Cornell Green debacle Buddy Nix will not throw huge money at players with injury issues. (I know, he signed Merriman but that was not huge money. Might become that is he plays well. Another reason to save some cap.)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Which they seem to be using for extensions like Kyle Williams and Steve Johnson, and maybe Fitz. I think after the Cornell Green debacle Buddy Nix will not throw huge money at players with injury issues. (I know, he signed Merriman but that was not huge money. Might become that is he plays well. Another reason to save some cap.)

PTR

I don't dispute the above Promo, but they traded Evans for a 4th and saved a good deal of money. I am not seeing where money should be an issue if a player can strengthen us in a weak spot and perhaps even win us a game.

I don't dispute the above Promo, but they traded Evans for a 4th and saved a good deal of money. I am not seeing where money should be an issue if a player can strengthen us in a weak spot and perhaps even win us a game.

Seriously, that trade saved all of $2.5M. That wasn't a salary dump. It was getting something for a player that wasn't in your future plans.

PTR

Seriously, that trade saved all of $2.5M. That wasn't a salary dump. It was getting something for a player that wasn't in your future plans.

PTR

I didn't say it was a salary dump. I do say that good teams try to re-sign their best players under any conditions (Williams, Johnson, Fitz, etc.).

If they can get a blocker with they money they saved they will have in essence picked up a blocker and a 4th for Evans. We need to build this team, not count pennies.

At the least get us some depth at o line even if we can't get a starter, Mansfield Wrotto can't play in the NFL. Say what you want about Merriman juicin up, but Maybin could've taken all the steroids in the world and he wouldn't have come close to Merriman's talent, there's gotta be more there. Very excited to see him, healthy hopefully, throughout the regular season.

Merriman is talented. But his health has been a problem. It seems that something is always hurting, tight or tweeked. I am concerned about this reported "groin tightness". I remember him from his San Diego days. He was definitely a threat and presence. I hope he can remain healthy for the season.