Brad Smith Will Be The Starting QB By The End Of Season

Fitz was throwing bullets the other night against some tight coverage. Look at the first few throws he made and you'll see he is finally getting his timing. Now, its a different story when he has def lineman in his face so Chan needs to feed plays that get that ball out quick so fitz doesn't get afraid of footsteps.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought my comments were useless

Actually I thought that was a relatively poor throw. Missing your spot by nearly 2 feet when you're only at the 10 is not exactly a great display of accuracy.

Fitz is fine - In fact except for Kelly - he is our best quarterback since Ferguson

Fitz was throwing bullets the other night against some tight coverage. Look at the first few throws he made and you'll see he is finally getting his timing. Now, its a different story when he has def lineman in his face so Chan needs to feed plays that get that ball out quick so fitz doesn't get afraid of footsteps.

That throw to Stevie johnson was horrible, Stevie almost had to break stride before strolling into the ez. Brad smith would have made that throw along with any other scrub in the league. He threw 11/12 because they were checkdowns. The throw to Jackson was a duck.

There did I cover all the absurdity in one pass?

Um, no.

Um, agree. Smith is like a change of pace back, a gimmick that other teams have to defend. Even then, he is going to have to prove that he can actually throw the ball or everyone is just going to key on stopping him when he takes off.

The wildcat has it's place, especially down near the goal line where the D has to respect him on options as well as the fake draws and sweeps. It forces them to have to cover Jackson and respect what Smith can do with the ball. We should score some points with that offense.

Um, agree. Smith is like a change of pace back, a gimmick that other teams have to defend. Even then, he is going to have to prove that he can actually throw the ball or everyone is just going to key on stopping him when he takes off.

The wildcat has it's place, especially down near the goal line where the D has to respect him on options as well as the fake draws and sweeps. It forces them to have to cover Jackson and respect what Smith can do with the ball. We should score some points with that offense.

Since we lack a power back that will get the tough yards in short yardage/goal line situations, we need a gimmick

I think it's telling that they had Smith starting against the Jags, instead of Nelson. I think they (eventually) line him up at halfback, and then have Fitz audible him to wherever the defense dictates, be it WR, RB, or QB.

I think it's telling that they had Smith starting against the Jags, instead of Nelson. I think they (eventually) line him up at halfback, and then have Fitz audible him to wherever the defense dictates, be it WR, RB, or QB.

That would be interesting, but I think that Fitz or any other starting QB would get peeved at calling someone else's number to throw the ball. I could see Smith lining up wide for reverses, or in the backfield but motioning to the slot position to get that Poz-kind of match-up with an empty backfield.

Smith is chemical X for Gailey's mad science offenses. Unlike the high school plays we saw under Jauron, I expect Gailey will actually have them executing those plays successfully. Something that was woefully missing with all of our reject defensive-minded Head Coaches with the likes of Trentative under center.

That would be interesting, but I think that Fitz or any other starting QB would get peeved at calling someone else's number to throw the ball. I could see Smith lining up wide for reverses, or in the backfield but motioning to the slot position to get that Poz-kind of match-up with an empty backfield.

Smith is chemical X for Gailey's mad science offenses. Unlike the high school plays we saw under Jauron, I expect Gailey will actually have them executing those plays successfully. Something that was woefully missing with all of our reject defensive-minded Head Coaches with the likes of Trentative under center.

I think Fitz will do what it takes to win. I doubt we'll see a lot of throws from Smith each game, just enough to keep the defense honest (maybe 2 or 3).

Since we lack a power back that will get the tough yards in short yardage/goal line situations, we need a gimmick

We do seem to be missing that element, but that Johnny White kid looked interesting in his few games. He might be that goal-line back we have been looking for, but I don't know if it is the quality of our backs or the push of our line that causes our short yardage issues. It will help that we have so many big receiving targets that other teams have to respect that we may just throw a jump-ball to Easley or David Nelson and that TE pickup Chandler is not that shabby.

Still waiting for Shawn Nelson to emerge.... and waiting....and wait

That throw to Stevie johnson was horrible, Stevie almost had to break stride before strolling into the ez. Brad smith would have made that throw along with any other scrub in the league. He threw 11/12 because they were checkdowns. The throw to Jackson was a duck.

I'm talking about the 2nd drive. The throws to easley, over the middle, sideline pass, throw to stevie and then the td pass. Great timed throws that only comes with practice. JP could throw a great bomb but couldn't throw over the middle through coverage.

We do seem to be missing that element, but that Johnny White kid looked interesting in his few games. He might be that goal-line back we have been looking for, but I don't know if it is the quality of our backs or the push of our line that causes our short yardage issues. It will help that we have so many big receiving targets that other teams have to respect that we may just throw a jump-ball to Easley or David Nelson and that TE pickup Chandler is not that shabby.

Still waiting for Shawn Nelson to emerge.... and waiting....and wait

Youre right line is part of it. But against jags at least I was seeing some real lanes to run through

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm not the guy saying Fitz is the future, but the only way that pass gets completed, and probably the only way it doesn't get picked, is to go too high. Fitz was smart and took the 50/50; Easley brought it in.

Just to clarify, I thought he didn't place it high enough. That ball ought to be about 20" higher, ala that route that guys used to throw to Chris Carter that nobody could ever defend. It wasn't a horrible throw but he left it a little low where other guys had a chance to make a play on it. The fact that it was only first down and he had two more downs to play with doesn't improve the quality any either.

Of course, I haven't seen enough of Easley's hands to know whether his QB ought to trust him up there or not. But as a rule of thumb, on first down you don't put that ball where anyone else can make a play on it; and Fitz had a couple more feet of elevation to work with, most of which he probably should have used.

Fitz and the offense will struggle mighty. The only spark of life will be Brad Smith. Thigpen gets a go for 1 game at some point in the year and fails miserably like his predecessor Brohm. Brad Smith then starts because of some sucess with him running the offense in the wildcat. Gailey then finishes the year with Slash v2.0. We then draft Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Thats stupid, Why even post that garbage?

Fitz and the offense will struggle mighty. The only spark of life will be Brad Smith. Thigpen gets a go for 1 game at some point in the year and fails miserably like his predecessor Brohm. Brad Smith then starts because of some sucess with him running the offense in the wildcat. Gailey then finishes the year with Slash v2.0. We then draft Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Brad Smith is simply too dumb to run an NFL offense. I know he went to Mizzou, the Harvard of central Missourri, but he had Vince Young take the SATs for him. Its the only reason he was accepted. Everyone knows this.

C'mon. Not every pass from Brady, Manning, Brees is a perfectly placed tight spiral. And all QBs checkdown sometimes.

Fitz went 11 of 12 with two TDs against the Jags first team defense. The results speak for themselves. He put the balls in catchable spots and got yards, first downs and touchdowns. You can't rationally criticize that.