0-16 is more likely than 6-10

jumbalaya

If we only had the offensive line we had last year...

Our defense got stronger. If our D was better last year, we could have been a .500 team. The D was everybody's problem, but now that they have addressed the defense, considerably, everybody has a new reason we'll e 0-16.

Every year there are surprise teams. Buffalo is that team this year. I wonder if any of the fans would appreciate it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the NFL started the 16-game season in 1978, only one team has ever gone 0-16, the Detroit Lions in 2008. Would like someone here who actually paid attention in Statistics class to figure the odds of a perfect losing season.

Given that the Bills:

•  
  • Won four last season, and lost many games by less than a TD, including about three OTs, including against several playoff teams...
  • Drastically improved its run defense...
  • Did nothing worse than last season with the O line, which was less than average but did not lead to doom...

Not to mention the fact that Fitz can only get better, I'd say the odds are not in your corner, jumbalaya.

My money is on:

•  
  • 7-9 with no O-line upgrade.
  • 9-7 with one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpQ4O0poB0

Teams don't win close games because they somehow learned how to do it. They win them because they have more talent than the other team. Buffalo lost close games because they lacked the talent to make the big plays when needed. Until we get more talent, we will continue to lose close games. It seems all we as fans learn is that we have to accept mediocrity. This team is 26 million dollars under the salary cap. How does this create a feeling among the players or fans that the front office's number one goal is to win? Do they want to win? Sure they do. Do they want to do what it takes to win? It sure doesn't appear so.

So are you on board for 0-16?

It's like that Monty Python routine where the old farts are sitting around talking about how hard things were when they were kids, and how easy everybody has it today.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

If we do not find an offensive line in the next two weeks this team is doomed.

Oh, fercryingoutloud, it's the same offensive line as last year when we were mathematically closer to 6-10 than 0-16, coupled with a much better defense. Y'all cassandras need to get some sleep.

Since the NFL started the 16-game season in 1978, only one team has ever gone 0-16, the Detroit Lions in 2008. Would like someone here who actually paid attention in Statistics class to figure the odds of a perfect losing season.

Given that the Bills:

•  
  • Won four last season, and lost many games by less than a TD, including about three OTs, including against several playoff teams...
  • Drastically improved its run defense...
  • Did nothing worse than last season with the O line, which was less than average but did not lead to doom...

Not to mention the fact that Fitz can only get better, I'd say the odds are not in your corner, jumbalaya.

My money is on:

•  
  • 7-9 with no O-line upgrade.
  • 9-7 with one.

youtube.com/watch?v=GGpQ4O0poB0

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. You can't just assume that because we "lost close games" that this year they will somehow fall in our favor.

As someone else said... You don't LEARN to win close games. You get better, so that you have the talent to TURN IT ON in the fourth quarter, during close games. We always lost close ones to playoff teams because they often underestimated us early. But by the end of the game, they had the talent to pull it out.

To your other points:

> The Bills did upgrade the pass rush and run defense. That should help us out a lot. But that also means that teams will have to start testing our secondary, which might not be as good as we think (ask Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn).

> Fitzpatrick can definitely do worse. He doesn't have Lee Evans to help stretch the field. He won't take other teams by surprise anymore. And if the offensive line gets him hurt, we could be scary bad.

How exactly is it the same O-line as last year? Wood wasn't at center last year, Pears and Urbik started 3 games combined. Levitre wasn't being experimented with at Tackle. People should really stop saying it's the same as if it is fact. This is not at all the same O-line. It could very easily be worse.

Edited by Pondslider

How exactly is it the same O-line as last year? Wood wasn't at center last year, Pears and Urbik started 3 games combined. Levitre wasn't being experimented with at Tackle. People should really stop saying it's the same as if it is fact. This is not at all the same O-line. It could very easily be worse.

Worse? Not likely. At worst they have Bell-Levitre-Hangman-Wood-Pears starting, which is still better than last year's since Wood and Bell are no longer injured and Pears is better than Green.

This team had 4 wins last year how we get worse is beyond me. Our offensive line is pretty much the same one as last season and somehow we are going to get worse? I don't know how this unit gets worse and tanks the team to 0-16. 6-10 or 7-9 is where we will finish.

Our Defense is at least somewhat improved with potential to be drastically improved; and our offense is still pretty decent.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. You can't just assume that because we "lost close games" that this year they will somehow fall in our favor.

As someone else said... You don't LEARN to win close games. You get better, so that you have the talent to TURN IT ON in the fourth quarter, during close games. We always lost close ones to playoff teams because they often underestimated us early. But by the end of the game, they had the talent to pull it out.

To your other points:

> The Bills did upgrade the pass rush and run defense. That should help us out a lot. But that also means that teams will have to start testing our secondary, which might not be as good as we think (ask Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn).

> Fitzpatrick can definitely do worse. He doesn't have Lee Evans to help stretch the field. He won't take other teams by surprise anymore. And if the offensive line gets him hurt, we could be scary bad.

You win close games with experience and attitude. Many of the people on this team played last year, and learned from their mistakes.

Second, Lee had like 300 yards last year. I do think he will be better.

I still vote for the OP in the "Br. Smith is no DUMMY" thread.

Thanks, but That wasn't the title of the thread. It was "People act like Brad Smith is some kind of dummy" I abbreviated "Brad Smith" as "Br. Smith", and some simp actually thought I meant "Bruce Smith" -Of course, if they actually read the thread they would've known that to be false. I thought it was an O.K. thread. If they hadn't shut it down it would probably still be going. Thanks for the vote.

To your other points:

Whether Merriman can stay healthy all year is a big quesion, Nick Barnett was hurt last year and Morrision wasn't wanted by any other team. It appears that other teams trash suddenly becomes Buffalo Bills gold, at least to some fans. There was a reason why SD didn't care to keep SM, there was a reason GB didn't care to keep NB, there was a reason that the Jags didn't offer KM a contract, nor did any other team.

Lee Evans was Buffalo's #1 WR and opposing teams rolled coverages to him because he could burn them on any play. Because of Evans getting more attention from opposing defenses that left Stevie Johnson singled most of the time.

Did any of you watch the last two games of the season with the supposed good stable O line? The Jets and Patriots literally destroyed the Bills in those games. Spiller is still very suspect, the run game only has one good player atm. It won't matter because the bills will try and throw the ball 80% of the time.

Yea, I agree. The Bills could very well be scary bad this year.