People act like Brad Smith is some kind of dummy.

#34fan

Which one of the old timers said there should be a minimum post count to start a thread? I'm thinking 200 sounds about right. :doh:

OP, it sounds like you're a bit unhappy with our starting qb. Fitz may or may not be the answer, but he has earned his shot this year. It would be very disruptive, on the field and in the locker room, to yank our starter this late in the game. If brad Smith is a great quaterback he will rise to the top with the snaps he is getting. If not, prepare yourself for Fitzball.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually addressing Kelly's comment about Smith's accuracy. -Please read through the posts next time.

That Tebow will likely be a bust at the NFL level and there are people that don't believe nor expect that doesn't effect Brad Smith's intelligence level; it more likely is indicative of their intelligence level.

It also doesn't alter your having set up a very bizarre straw man regarding Smith.

It's implied by the omission of his name from the starting QB conversation. You always hear Chan described as an "offensive guru", and Fitz is called "one of the smartest QB's in the league" I've even heard Thigpen described as "Sharp". It seems the only time Smith gets any praise is when he does WHAT WE THINK he should do. -Performing his limited role. He's referred to as our wildcat QB, or our "Situational" guy, which hints that he COULDN'T be capable of standing under center. I submit that he COULD BE capable of this and much more. By the way, when will Fitz and Chan turn their superior intelligence into actual wins? I fear the answer to that is NEVER.

@ Taro T.

It's implied by the omission of his name from the starting QB conversation. You always hear Chan described as an "offensive guru", and Fitz is called "one of the smartest QB's in the league" I've even heard Thigpen described as "Sharp". It seems the only time Smith gets any praise is when he does WHAT WE THINK he should do. -Performing his limited role. He's referred to as our wildcat QB, or our "Situational" guy, which hints that he COULDN'T be capable of standing under center. I submit that he COULD BE capable of this and much more. By the way, when will Fitz and Chan turn their superior intelligence into actual wins? I fear the answer to that is NEVER.

His name is omitted because he's not a very accurate qb. you're the only one who has implied anything about his intelligence.

And as Kelly and others have pointed out, the reason Smith isn't considered in the discussion as a starter isn't because of any lack of intellectual skills, but rather because he doesn't have the throwing / passing skills that are expected of an NFL caliber starting QB.

The Fish have shown that once the gimmick of the wildcat wears off, it isn't a particularly useful primary offense because it is highly predisposed to the run. A Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, or even a Michael Vick could probably be effective with it because they have (had) the ability to make NFL starting quarterback quality throws. Of course, their coaches wouldn't likely put them into a wildcat offense on a regular basis because they wouldn't want their passer getting the pounding that Ronnie Brown took. Smith hasn't shown anybody (except perhaps you and a handful of others) that he can throw the football well enough to be a starter at this level. Hopefully, he'll show enough throwing ability that between making the opposing D defend a regular O and the regular wildcat that it can work for Buffalo as a change up to the normal package(s).

Again, not considering him as starting material has nothing to do with what's in his head, it's what's not in his arm that's the issue.

And as Kelly and others have pointed out, the reason Smith isn't considered in the discussion as a starter isn't because of any lack of intellectual skills, but rather because he doesn't have the throwing / passing skills that are expected of an NFL caliber starting QB.

The Fish have shown that once the gimmick of the wildcat wears off, it isn't a particularly useful primary offense because it is highly predisposed to the run. A Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, or even a Michael Vick could probably be effective with it because they have (had) the ability to make NFL starting quarterback quality throws. Of course, their coaches wouldn't likely put them into a wildcat offense on a regular basis because they wouldn't want their passer getting the pounding that Ronnie Brown took. Smith hasn't shown anybody (except perhaps you and a handful of others) that he can throw the football well enough to be a starter at this level. Hopefully, he'll show enough throwing ability that between making the opposing D defend a regular O and the regular wildcat that it can work for Buffalo as a change up to the normal package(s).

Again, not considering him as starting material has nothing to do with what's in his head, it's what's not in his arm that's the issue.

I don't think that's true at all. The gimmick has worn off because Brown was a running back. he could throw like a girl but he really wasn't a QB. Other teams, like the Bills using Jackson, used RBs in that posiiton. teams had a couple years to learn how to defense it. But if you have a guy like Brad Smith back there who can run as well as a RB and can throw just a bit less than a starting QB, defenses cannot defend it like they did against Brown daring him to throw.

In fact, Gailey and Fitz have been raving about Brad Smith's accuracy in practice. Gailey in fact is now letting him be the actual 3rd QB and putting regular packages in for him where he will play under center and run regular plays. He will just have the option to run, which the defenses will have to honor. He has been good in camp throwing, make no mistake. Just because he isn't likely to be "starting QB material" doesn't mean he throws like a RB. He throws like a QB, has a strong arm, and can read defenses on some level. He's actually a very smart guy. He can and will throw. They may not all be darts right in the hands of WRs in stride, but he can throw.

OP, it sounds like you're a bit unhappy with our starting qb.

Ya think? Here's one of his recent gems. :lol:

Fitz doesn't do these things because he isn't interested in doing them. And because of the old "buddy" system, he isn't MADE to do them. Your'e right about one thing though, He IS one of the smartest QB's in the league. -Fitz knows he isn't going anywhere with this team. Still, he's figured out a way to pad his stats so that he looks better than he actually is. Once we dump his sorrry butt, some other team will undoubtedly pick him up due to his passing yards. I used to wonder why he made certain throws. -Throws that made no sense. Now I know it's because he's playing the system. Biding his time, and cashing his paychecks. This guy no longer cares if we win or lose.

And btw, a guy who shows the kind of instincts that Smith repeatedly has and also has the ability to execute so many different assignments successfully is obviously a very smart ballplayer.

I don't think that's true at all. The gimmick has worn off because Brown was a running back. he could throw like a girl but he really wasn't a QB. Other teams, like the Bills using Jackson, used RBs in that posiiton. teams had a couple years to learn how to defense it. But if you have a guy like Brad Smith back there who can run as well as a RB and can throw just a bit less than a starting QB, defenses cannot defend it like they did against Brown daring him to throw.

In fact, Gailey and Fitz have been raving about Brad Smith's accuracy in practice. Gailey in fact is now letting him be the actual 3rd QB and putting regular packages in for him where he will play under center and run regular plays. He will just have the option to run, which the defenses will have to honor. He has been good in camp throwing, make no mistake. Just because he isn't likely to be "starting QB material" doesn't mean he throws like a RB. He throws like a QB, has a strong arm, and can read defenses on some level. He's actually a very smart guy. He can and will throw. They may not all be darts right in the hands of WRs in stride, but he can throw.

Kelly, I didn't mean to imply that he can't throw the ball at all nor did I state that the wildcat couldn't work if it has a guy running it that can throw the ball. Actually, I think that his skill set can make the wildcat work as a change up to the normal package and had stated that in the post you took exception to.

Hopefully, he'll show enough throwing ability that between making the opposing D defend a regular O and the regular wildcat that it can work for Buffalo as a change up to the normal package(s).

I think he'll give the Bills 2-4 extra 1st downs per game than they'd get using just their base defense. I also don't see him having a good enough arm to be a legit starter, but I am not the guy that doesn't think he's smart (I haven't actually seen anybody take the position that he isn't smart in this thread) nor am I the guy that is imagining others don't think he's smart.

And, even with someone like Smith running the wildcat, I don't see it working over a full season as a team's base package because eventually the guy running it will get too banged up. But as a change of pace, where it isn't the thing the other team has been gameplanning against all week, especially when a pass is a legit threat 1/3 - 40% of the time, it could not just work but be reasonably successful.

And for Smith to run the wildcat successfully especially the way it seems to be envisioned this season here, being smart is a definite positive and pretty much a necessity. Which is just one more strike against the original straw man.

He sure can. He's done that, and more against our own D in the last few years. I think QB accuracy would be the easiest fix on our offense. Brad may not know the offense as well as Fitz, but so what? I look at his highlight reels, and I see a guy who I would like to touch the ball a lot more. Maybe permanently. It's not like he had HUGE holes to run through with the Jets. -Most of the time it took was ONE STEP and he was GONE. My point is that while statistically Fitz gives us the best chance to win, I Think Brad Smith is the player that gives us the best chance to improve. Whether that be just in team morale, or actual points scored. I hope Chan doesn't under-utilize this tremendous weapon.

Totally agree.

I've also had it with people claiming that Kyle Williams lacks toughness because he pees sitting down! The man has done nothing except dominate on the field and give 100% every Sunday and people talk like he's some kind of pansy. He never misses games and plays through the pain but still people say hes soft. He's an LSU Tiger - a school most posters here aren't tough enough to get in to - but people think he's a wuss. I guess I'm just sick of people thinking its OK for Dareus to wear nail polish and mascara, but say Kyle is effeminate for sitting while he urinates.

UMMM, WHAT??!! :thumbdown:

Ya think? Here's one of his recent gems. :lol:

Fitz doesn't do these things because he isn't interested in doing them. And because of the old "buddy" system, he isn't MADE to do them. Your'e right about one thing though, He IS one of the smartest QB's in the league. -Fitz knows he isn't going anywhere with this team. Still, he's figured out a way to pad his stats so that he looks better than he actually is. Once we dump his sorrry butt, some other team will undoubtedly pick him up due to his passing yards. I used to wonder why he made certain throws. -Throws that made no sense. Now I know it's because he's playing the system. Biding his time, and cashing his paychecks. This guy no longer cares if we win or lose.

And btw, a guy who shows the kind of instincts that Smith repeatedly has and also has the ability to execute so many different assignments successfully is obviously a very smart ballplayer.

That's how I feel about Fitz. -I don't apologize for it.

UMMM, WHAT??!! :thumbdown:

Just a slick way of calling me out. I got the humor.

Who acts like Brad Smith is some kind of dummy?

Well… hasn't the JaMarcus Russell experiment taught us all we need to know about black men playing QB in the NFL?

University of Missouri-- Harvard of the midwest...

Mizzou is a very good school. It's journalism department for example is one of the very best. If I had a family member attend Missouri, I'd be very proud. Incidentally JR, most of my family went to Michigan however… and I went to Buff State.

This is a very odd crusade. There's the implication of the Bills regime as southern slave owners and some hint of social justice being the impetus for the OP.

This is all noble and everything but you're disregarding the fact that the Bills gave Brad Smith the biggest payday of his life and his best opportunity to increase his stature as an NFL QB.

I mean for the first time in his NFL career he's listed as a QB and not a WR.

Kind of a bizarre and fun diversion from the other threads, I have to say. Some very funny comments.

Let's get Trent back and go to the academic super bowl.

On an even more serious note, winning teams have playmakers and surround them with solid positional players. Simply look at Green Bay. They lost their running back early in the year but had adequate back ups, or how many players on that defense can you actually name? Half if you're lucky? IMO Smith is a playmaker that makes this team better because he's good at what he does. What he does is not play every down at QB, makes people miss when running and can throw well enough to make that threat confuse defenses.