Same problem exists with the Offense

zow2

Yes- the O-line drives everything but the Bills remain a team that has problems getting chunk yardage. They tried to address this with Spiller and Roscoe, etc.. but nothing seems to change. This team needs to drive 10-12 plays to get TD's and that's a recipe for about 13 points per game. Now you will have many drives starting at the 20 due to the stupid kickoff rules. There's so much that can go wrong on any drive (sacks, fumble, int, penalties, negative yardage plays, failed 3rd or 4th down, etc..) that you can't expect more than one or two long drives per game. The best teams like Green Bay and NE hit on some long gainers and grab TDs on short drives. This is a problem that exists for the Bills and other struggling teams every year.

What the Bills need to do is play football with CFL rules. 3 downs to make ten baby!! Gailey's offense should be centered around playing for ten with only two downs to work with. We suck at third down anyway. The result is that no play in the book is drawn up for 5 yards.. :)

Tim-

And now that we've traded away our only deep threat and our only formidable receiver left will be doubled most of the time, with no proven #2 WR, I'd say we're pretty screwed on 3rd and mid to long ranges. I think we're gonna have to rely on draws and screens alot more than other teams because of our bad o-line and lack of depth at WR.

Hopefully Easley or Jones can really step up. I'm not too worried about Roscoe playing slot if he can stay healthy.

Blah....blah....blah.....we're doomed.

The fact is...none of us know what we REALLY have on offense until week one. Do you think Chan is going to show his hand in the pre-season? We have tremendous talent at the skill positions. This talk about how we will be unable to stretch the field because we no longer have Lee Evans is just ridiculous. Just wait and see before you give up on the season.

These offensive line changes this late in the preseason, remind me of Dick Jauron's changing of offensive coordinators early in his last season. As a fan I new this offensive line was doomed from the start just like we knew the offense was going to be futile when Dick Jauron kept changing offensive coordinators during his last season as coach. When you start tinkering, the message being sent is they have no clue how to improve and are running out of answers. Don't get me wrong, I think Gailey needs to get his best five linemen on the field, but the message being sent is we are going to be clueless for several games until we get it right. By then the season is gone and another year without the playoffs is another reality. The question I ask is, last year we had each of these offensive line players except for Hairston and a hurt Wang. Why didn't we get the right combination of offensive lineman figured out last year? Why are we tinkering again with the same list of offensive linemen? Why is there no continuity with this group? Why didn't we go out and make personnel changes if it didn't work last year? Why are we going through this experiment again? This front office and coaching staff looks like a bunch of bumbling idiots again. You add the stupid Evans trade and the way we are treating Fred Jackson, and the embarrassment just continues to escalate.

You know it's scary, but I was thinking the same thing when I read about the O-line shuffle today. I thought, here we go again, we're not prepared for a regular season that is just two weeks away.

I don't understand, why would it take so long to realize that Bell couldn't hack it? Hasn't he given them enough of a body of work the last two years with which to judge?

I think that the term you're looking for is "panic mode".

You are absolutely right. Great term. As a fan I'm in panic mode that we have made another hiring mistake with Nix and Gailey as year two of another continuous disaster begins.

These offensive line changes this late in the preseason, remind me of Dick Jauron's changing of offensive coordinators early in his last season. As a fan I new this offensive line was doomed from the start just like we knew the offense was going to be futile when Dick Jauron kept changing offensive coordinators during his last season as coach. When you start tinkering, the message being sent is they have no clue how to improve and are running out of answers. Don't get me wrong, I think Gailey needs to get his best five linemen on the field, but the message being sent is we are going to be clueless for several games until we get it right. By then the season is gone and another year without the playoffs is another reality. The question I ask is, last year we had each of these offensive line players except for Hairston and a hurt Wang. Why didn't we get the right combination of offensive lineman figured out last year? Why are we tinkering again with the same list of offensive linemen? Why is there no continuity with this group? Why didn't we go out and make personnel changes if it didn't work last year? Why are we going through this experiment again? This front office and coaching staff looks like a bunch of bumbling idiots again. You add the stupid Evans trade and the way we are treating Fred Jackson, and the embarrassment just continues to escalate.

You know what is frustrating to me....to see a post start out sensibly then fall off into ocean....:(

I also that offensive line shuffle right before a season is NEVER a good thing....dont like it.....never will. I also think that it is fair to say that the shortened pre season they really did not have time to properly get their evaluations in....I am not going to say that is a excuse because all the teams in the NFL have the same problem but still.......

The Evans trade was NOT stupid....they moved him while they could still get something for him...he was coming off two subpar years and do not fit the offense that Gailey is putting in.....and the Fred Jackson thing is just bizarre....Chan is sitting right in front of the mike telling the world that Fred is a big part of what they are trying to biuld but the whole business of having a top 10 running back drafted last year is causing an issue.....it really isn't an issue and what they should do is go ahead and extend Fred another 2 years to show they believe in him and give him a raise. This really is not an issue.

Yes- the O-line drives everything but the Bills remain a team that has problems getting chunk yardage. They tried to address this with Spiller and Roscoe, etc.. but nothing seems to change. This team needs to drive 10-12 plays to get TD's and that's a recipe for about 13 points per game. Now you will have many drives starting at the 20 due to the stupid kickoff rules. There's so much that can go wrong on any drive (sacks, fumble, int, penalties, negative yardage plays, failed 3rd or 4th down, etc..) that you can't expect more than one or two long drives per game. The best teams like Green Bay and NE hit on some long gainers and grab TDs on short drives. This is a problem that exists for the Bills and other struggling teams every year.

I think you can build an offense around many-play drives. The 49ers offense of the '80s was like this.

But to have an offense like that you need consistency. The bread and butter play of that 49ers offense was the quick slant to Jerry Rice. To make that play work as intended, Jerry Rice had to run a perfect route, and Joe Montana had to hit him in perfect stride. Also their OL had to provide reasonably good pass protection.

The more things which are wrong with your offense, the more likely it is that something bad will happen to disrupt the intended many-play drive. A bad OL means holding penalties, hurried throws, and sacks. A bad or inconsistent QB means more incompletions, or passes that fail to achieve the needed YAC. Questionable talent at WR means dropped passes and coverage sacks.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd rate the Bills' OL at about a 2, and Fitz at about a 4. Obviously both those things need to change for the Bills offense to consistently execute many-play drives. The Bills are very unlikely to add a franchise QB or Pro Bowl offensive linemen for this season, so improvements to the offense will have to wait until 2012. The 2011 draft was used on the defense, and I expect to see noticeable improvements there.

And now that we've traded away our only deep threat and our only formidable receiver left will be doubled most of the time, with no proven #2 WR, I'd say we're pretty screwed on 3rd and mid to long ranges. I think we're gonna have to rely on draws and screens alot more than other teams because of our bad o-line and lack of depth at WR.

Hopefully Easley or Jones can really step up. I'm not too worried about Roscoe playing slot if he can stay healthy.

And we will have many 3rd and longs just like last year...thats the sad part. 1st down run up the middle for 2 yards...2nd down throw to the outside, DB makes the easy break on the ball and gets his hands on it but drops it...3rd and 7 Fitz drops back and throws a 2 yard pass to Spiller underneath who gains 4 yardse...PUNT.