Jerry Sullivan on WGR this morning

Bits:

-Lee Evans being traded after our offense finally gets going again is ridiculous, and to not trade for another player is worse.

-Not signing Clabo for 5 years because you can't win now is a joke.

-Why are you drafting these gadget guys when you have true needs?

-Bell is the best tackle we have, and the best means he's being compared to bad offensive linemen, which is a joke.

-Depth at WR is not the same as numbers- New England has depth and we have numbers.

-Paying Brad Smith for only a handful of plays for a wildcat offense that is exposed is ridiculous.

-The Eagles' depth is so good at CB that they are cutting a $2 million CB because he's slotted as a dime back.

-The Buffalo Sabres want to win and the Buffalo Bills are existing.

It was a bomb fest...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP did a excellent recap of the talk. I, for one, am a very harsh critic of Sullivan as I think he's a lazy journalist who gets by on being a corrosive radio idiot. (when he gets with Dope and the Lapdog, he's insufferable and I don't listen.) That said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then and when Sullivan, despite his radio idiot schtick, says something accurate I have to give him that. His remarks this morning were hard not to agree with. You can certainly build through the draft but still bring in veteran talent to help in the short term (read: Barnett) and it's hard to justify a $4 mil gadget guy QB when your OL is arguably the worst in the league. Not all of Sullivan's blah, blah has credibility, but hey, I think he's right on this.

The OP did a excellent recap of the talk. I, for one, am a very harsh critic of Sullivan as I think he's a lazy journalist who gets by on being a corrosive radio idiot. (when he gets with Dope and the Lapdog, he's insufferable and I don't listen.) That said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then and when Sullivan, despite his radio idiot schtick, says something accurate I have to give him that. His remarks this morning were hard not to agree with. You can certainly build through the draft but still bring in veteran talent to help in the short term (read: Barnett) and it's hard to justify a $4 mil gadget guy QB when your OL is arguably the worst in the league. Not all of Sullivan's blah, blah has credibility, but hey, I think he's right on this.

i agree, like him or not, he said how i feel, and i am quite sure how others feel, about the bills and commitment to winning. i think pegula has only shined the light directly on the bills and their lack of commitment to winning. "small market" nonsense may finally be exposed as a faulty excuse because in reality, grabbing as much cash as they can every year while not even achieving mediocrity should be obvious.

Edited by dwight in philly

He's a hack because he writes negative things about a front office that hasn't managed to make the playoffs in 11 years? In your opinion he should be writing positive things about a franchise that consistently fails? Why should Ralph Wilson be given the benefit of the doubt about anything at this point? This team doesn't have an NFL quality tackle on the roster and is how many millions below the salary cap? Wilson should be ashamed of himself for not throwing the kitchen sink at Calbo...

I love the Bills and I agree with just about everything Sully said (except the Brad Smith signing). What does he have to be bitter about? His cushy job? His handsome salary? His oft-stated love for the Buffalo region? He's not even a Bills fan...

so a hack of a sports writer from the 52nd largest media market is bitter go figure .

The line, which isn't much different then what they ended with last year was not as dismal as fans make it out to be.

And they didn't sign Smith at the expense of the o-line. They have plenty of cap room to sign all the o-line players they wanted, there is just slim pickings for decent o-line players that aren't available for a reason (injured, grossly overweight/lazy, attitude issues, close to retirement). The front office, like it or not, know that they aren't going to be a contender this year and have taken the approach that they would rather see what they have in some potential players like Bell, Pears, Urbick, Wrotto, Hairston, Reinhardt, etc. instead of signing players that may not be here longer then next year. They went hard after one of the top RT's available this offseason and lost out cause he wanted to stay where he was. After Clabo, there wasn't much else out there thats worth getting excited over.

BTW, the only "gadget player" the Bills drafted was Spiller

-Lee Evans being traded after our offense finally gets going again is ridiculous, and to not trade for another player is worse.

I would rather have Lee on the team but I understand the reality of trading him. LEE DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE WHERE THE OFFENSE WASNT GOING TO FEATURE HIM.......he asked for a trade...and he did it with respect and not going to the media. The bills obliged him for being the stand up guy that he was. Want to know what Kelsay has HIS contract? because he does it the exact same way.....jmo on that

We offered the most....he chose to stay with Atlanta...the bills tried....what more is to be said here?

What gadget guy did we draft? Spiller? He was the best offensive talent on the board at the time. There are SEVERAL other picks in the draft and in case Sullivan wast watching quite a few went to the defensive lines.....then this year we went MOSTLY defense. We are going to B word about 1 player in a whole draft worth of picks?

-Bell is the best tackle we have, and the best means he's being compared to bad offensive linemen, which is a joke.

Nobody was complaining about bell after the 1st pre season game where he held off Peppers....he had a HORRIBLE game on Saturday no doubt....but you have to take work as a whole not just the last game.

-Depth at WR is not the same as numbers- New England has depth and we have numbers.

New Englands WR dept looks better because they have Tom Brady throwing the ball

-Paying Brad Smith for only a handful of plays for a wildcat offense that is exposed is ridiculous.

This is my biggest peeve of his wrants......Brad Smith is the BEST in the league at what he provides....and the Bills jumped on an opportuntity. And Chan knows how to use a guy like this. There was nothing wrong with this aquisition when you have a chance to make your football team better you do it.

-The Eagles' depth is so good at CB that they are cutting a $2 million CB because he's slotted as a dime back.

no comment

The Bills are doing it a different way while the Sabers look to be making Redskins type moves.....I dont agree with all of what the bills are doing but they are following the San Diego Chargers/Pittsburg Steelers game plan of rebiuld.

He's a hack because he writes negative things about a front office that hasn't managed to make the playoffs in 11 years? In your opinion he should be writing positive things about a franchise that consistently fails? Why should Ralph Wilson be given the benefit of the doubt about anything at this point? This team doesn't have an NFL quality tackle on the roster and is how many millions below the salary cap? Wilson should be ashamed of himself for not throwing the kitchen sink at Calbo...

I love the Bills and I agree with just about everything Sully said (except the Brad Smith signing). What does he have to be bitter about? His cushy job? His handsome salary? His oft-stated love for the Buffalo region? He's not even a Bills fan...

they offered him more (apparently) then what Atlanta offered, but it was enough for him to be comfortable to stay where where he was and not have to uproot his young new family accross the country to Buffalo. its actually refreshing to see an athlete turn down a bigger deal and accept one to stay where they are instead of chasing the bigger deal for a couple more million.

Who should the Bills have thrown all of this extra money at to play tackle? Who is out there worth millions still available that doesn't have injury/weight/attitude issues?

And enough with the comparisons to Pegula, all he has done so far is come in and throw money around. So far we have not seen any changes in the team at this point because they haven't even played a game. The guy doesn't care if the team makes money or not, he just wants to win. He is a fan who is lucky enough to have the money to own the team. Weither this is a good or bad thing, its hard to say, but it hasn't worked out well for a similar kind of owner in the NFL Dan Snyder

I would rather have Lee on the team but I understand the reality of trading him. LEE DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE WHERE THE OFFENSE WASNT GOING TO FEATURE HIM.......he asked for a trade...and he did it with respect and not going to the media. The bills obliged him for being the stand up guy that he was. Want to know what Kelsay has HIS contract? because he does it the exact same way.....jmo on that

We offered the most....he chose to stay with Atlanta...the bills tried....what more is to be said here?

What gadget guy did we draft? Spiller? He was the best offensive talent on the board at the time. There are SEVERAL other picks in the draft and in case Sullivan wast watching quite a few went to the defensive lines.....then this year we went MOSTLY defense. We are going to B word about 1 player in a whole draft worth of picks?

Nobody was complaining about bell after the 1st pre season game where he held off Peppers....he had a HORRIBLE game on Saturday no doubt....but you have to take work as a whole not just the last game.

New Englands WR dept looks better because they have Tom Brady throwing the ball

This is my biggest peeve of his wrants......Brad Smith is the BEST in the league at what he provides....and the Bills jumped on an opportuntity. And Chan knows how to use a guy like this. There was nothing wrong with this aquisition when you have a chance to make your football team better you do it.

no comment

The Bills are doing it a different way while the Sabers look to be making Redskins type moves.....I dont agree with all of what the bills are doing but they are following the San Diego Chargers/Pittsburg Steelers game plan of rebiuld.

I'm having a very difficult time following you buck the obvious. You think the Sabres specifically addressing their terrible defense with 2 of the most talented / young proven guys out there falls in a Redskins mode ?? The guys we brought in just gave us probably the most hard hitting / scoring talented defense in the League, you're way off base. Ville Lieno is one of the hardest working guys at LW & could possibly play center (he has before) if needed. I think your inner child's need for the positive has proven you off-track, better re-group here & find better things to poke holes in.

P.S. The Sabres salary cap arrangements will easily be made (when needed), so don't bother coming back with the "Sabres spend too much" BS, that will not be the case with the talent we have onboard now.

I know Sullivan takes alot of crap around here about being bitter & such, but seriously look up his articles since Flutie was the QB & he hits the nail on the head probably 90% of the time. What do you guys want from him. To blow roses up everybody's ass in WNY telling everybody what a great run organization this is? I mean this team has not made the playoffs in the last 11 years. The way the NFL is setup, that is almost impossible to do. But here we are looking at year 12 with the strong probability that there will be no playoffs. I am tired of this crap & for god sakes covering this joke of a franchise for the last 15 years has got to wear a person down over time.

I'm having a very difficult time following you buck the obvious. You think the Sabres specifically addressing their terrible defense with 2 of the most talented / young proven guys out there falls in a Redskins mode ?? The guys we brought in just gave us probably the most hard hitting / scoring talented defense in the League, you're way off base. Ville Lieno is one of the hardest working guys at LW & could possibly play center (he has before) if needed. I think your inner child's need for the positive has proven you off-track, better re-group here & find better things to poke holes in.

P.S. The Sabres salary cap arrangements will easily be made (when needed), so don't bother coming back with the "Sabres spend too much" BS, that will not be the case with the talent we have onboard now.

Calm down Scrap

What I am trying to say here is that rather then "biuld through the draft" like the Bills are doing they are going out and getting talent in other ways. I am not saying they aren't doing a good just just they arent relying heavily on the draft to biuld the sabers team.

And all the extra curricular that you are laying into your posts isnt needed.....wtf

Calm down Scrap

What I am trying to say here is that rather then "biuld through the draft" like the Bills are doing they are going out and getting talent in other ways. I am not saying they aren't doing a good just just they arent relying heavily on the draft to biuld the sabers team.

And all the extra curricular that you are laying into your posts isnt needed.....wtf

I partly disagree.. our defensemen and goalies are going to be home grown. Our prospects are a couple of years from being NHL starters, and we got spoiled with Tyler Myers. I can't wait for McNabb to make the roster...

they offered him more (apparently) then what Atlanta offered, but it was enough for him to be comfortable to stay where where he was and not have to uproot his young new family accross the country to Buffalo. its actually refreshing to see an athlete turn down a bigger deal and accept one to stay where they are instead of chasing the bigger deal for a couple more million.

Who should the Bills have thrown all of this extra money at to play tackle? Who is out there worth millions still available that doesn't have injury/weight/attitude issues?

And enough with the comparisons to Pegula, all he has done so far is come in and throw money around. So far we have not seen any changes in the team at this point because they haven't even played a game. The guy doesn't care if the team makes money or not, he just wants to win. He is a fan who is lucky enough to have the money to own the team. Weither this is a good or bad thing, its hard to say, but it hasn't worked out well for a similar kind of owner in the NFL Dan Snyder

Dan brought in players near the twilight of their career for huge money & brought in prime talented players. Ville Lieno is soon to be 29 (11-6-83 BD), Regehr is 30, Ehrhoff is 29.

I partly disagree.. our defensemen and goalies are going to be home grown. Our prospects are a couple of years from being NHL starters, and we got spoiled with Tyler Myers. I can't wait for McNabb to make the roster...

One more time to try to explain myself....

- I didnt say the Sabers were not using the draft to get players....they are mixing it up nicely.....but they ARE going out and aquiring quality players in places other then the draft.

- This is in direct opposition of what the Bills are doing.....who seem to be trying to draft well then bring their own players along in the hopes of having a team that is "good for a period of years" because they drafted them and they have been togother over years...then they "sprinkle in" guys like Burnett.

I am not saying I agree with the Bills plan...but it has worked for the Chargers and Steelers who follow this same plan

Calm down Scrap

At some point people have to recognize that "build through the draft" is a smokescreen that the Bills are using to take the focus off a crappy product. A team can build through the draft if it devotes the resources to scouting and can be trusted to draft players who will be consistent producers. That team also needs to retain the players it drafted, and draft for other needs than to replace drafted players who have departed.

But since the Bills are batting under 500 with their drafts and an even worse record when it comes to the top picks, then Bills version of "build through the draft" just etches mediocrity in stone.

Dan brought in players near the twilight of their career for huge money & brought in prime talented players. Ville Lieno is soon to be 29 (11-6-83 BD), Regehr is 30, Ehrhoff is 29.

Someone has to help the Sabres now until McNabb and Gragnani develop, and I for one am VERY happy they invested in depth. Excited is not a strong enough word! The Bills would never obtain top talent in pairs like the Sabres do...

God, I hope the Sabres win the Stanley Cup soon... that would REALLY embarrass the Bills!

They'll fall back on the fact that their franchise is worth $800 million and they're still making money. Yeah, the Bills would be really embarrassed. :rolleyes: