Who is Patrick Moran? Supposedly major news.

bbb

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any way you cut it, this story highlights the plight of 'journalism' and especially sports journalism. There used to be rules for sourcing especially when it came to anonymous sources. Now it's throw everything against the wall, collect views, repeat for success!

Just because we don't know his sourcing doesn't mean he just made it up. Even if it's questionable sourcing, it doesn't make it patently false.

Without written records or an officer going on record it's simply left as possible. Now we are in a hazy spot where it's just he said she said.

Your logic makes no sense. Just because some quack says it doesn't make it true. If I accuse you of beating your kids, are you obligated to prove me wrong? I would ignore this fool and move on.

Edited by bills-fan in arizona

If you can't prove it, what good is reporting it? As I've said before, people are in such a hurry to make a name for themselves by breaking news, that they are less concerned with getting it right.

And there's a reason most reporters don't admit "a single source told me..." It's because a single source, in the absence of any other sources, can he highly unreliable. If multiple people tell you the same thing, it's more likely to be true.

Without knowing the sourcing we are stuck wondering. For all we know there could be good reason to trust it. Could be junk. We don't know.

I agree journalism sucks these days

And I think you cut to an interesting conversation- what if you do know it's a fact but don't have full resources to prove it publicly. Should a blogger share the info?

I agree with your takes throughout this thread.

I disagree with several things being said by others in this thread.

Many here are treating this story as if it's an open and shut case.

Trajectory-wise, I would think that this story is just starting.

How has this story gained any trajectory when all Moran did was regurgitate an item from another blog posted 17 days ago? Sure it's created a huge buzz in our community as expected. But as far as gaining traction with any reputable news sources, it just hasn't happened yet. Moran just became another blogger to report the same thing only he reported it 17 days after the other guy.

GO BILLS!!!

Any way you cut it, this story highlights the plight of 'journalism' and especially sports journalism. There used to be rules for sourcing especially when it came to anonymous sources. Now it's throw everything against the wall, collect views, repeat for success!

This is a blog site, not a reputable news organization. The problem is with people pretending to be journalists.

That's why I'm still on the fence for what to think - as far as who has incentive to lie... It's merriman. But Moran definitely has a burden of proof to reach here. We will see.

Moran would lose his career in exchange for a week of traffic? Seems spotty in theory.

Career?

Again as posted earlier, this is just a Rumor. The people I know would of known about this and they knew nothing about it at all. There is no evidence that this ever happened. Let's close this subject and put an end to this please. I have no idea where Moran gets his news from but you cannot report something that doesn't have evidence behind. Reporting 101. Moran, you gotta learn.

As for us Bills fans we finally get a spark with Meriman this year and Moran comes along trying to spoil it for us. When Meriman is on the field its going to feel like the days when Bruce was on the field. On every play a QB might go down!

And I think you cut to an interesting conversation- what if you do know it's a fact but don't have full resources to prove it publicly. Should a blogger share the info?

Sure...if he wants his nuts cut off.

Even if the story is true, Moran just traded five minutes of fame for a lifetime label of "complete douchebag"...simply because he didn't have the smarts or balls to release a story with the smallest shred of anything resembling integrity. Mr. Wanna-be Sports Reporter is never gonna be one now, not after this bull ****.

Your logic makes no sense. Just because some quack says it doesn't make it true. If I accuse you of beating your kids, are you obligated to prove me wrong? I would ignore this fool and move on.

No and I feel I've addressed that a few times. But if my wife told you I did and you didn't want to out her so you just have an anonymous source- it's not somehow proof I don't just because you don't have anyone on record.

It leaves a gray area. If pats playing fast and loose, it's not fair to merrimen at all. We just flat don't know though.

All we know is he knew about the stop, merriman agrees and now there's a haze over what he had.

The Buffalo News is reporting on this rumor. Maybe someone should send this to Mr. Moran to show him what journalism looks like.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article526915.ece

Rumor also has it that the last time Merriman flew commercial, he was screened by airport security.

Dude's a terrorist, I tell ya. I can prove it - I have a really reliable source at TSA that I can't tell you about until I check with my legal department, but when I do you'll be sorry...

How has this story gained any trajectory when all Moran did was regurgitate an item from another blog posted 17 days ago? Sure it's created a huge buzz in our community as expected. But as far as gaining traction with any reputable news sources, it just hasn't happened yet. Moran just became another blogger to report the same thing only he reported it 17 days after the other guy.

GO BILLS!!!

That's my point.

You can rest assured that established, "reputable" news outlets will now be reporting this story and that of course is an upward trajectory.

Then there's the current state of the story itself… if there's an investigation… whether the case is still open… what was found and whether it's been identified yet…

I'll stick to my original belief that this story is ramping up, not fading away.

Career?

Gotta agree with that, what career? The guy basically admits he started this site on his own, because he was sick of the coverage of sports in Buffalo. If you do some digging, into his myspace, he has no formal journalism training.

So how is he any different than any fan who starts a website/blog? So in essence what does he have to lose with this story? His sponsers? I'm sure S.W.A.T. and Rekkio's Bowling aren't gonna be too upset about this. Maybe Benchwarmers Bar and Grill gets upset because he tried to defame a Buffalo Bill. Maybe he doesn't get the 2 for 1 deal at Tomatoe's Pizza anymore.

All in all, this guys has very limit reputation and national interest to be worried about.

Sure...if he wants his nuts cut off.

Even if the story is true, Moran just traded five minutes of fame for a lifetime label of "complete douchebag"...simply because he didn't have the smarts or balls to release a story with the smallest shred of anything resembling integrity. Mr. Wanna-be Sports Reporter is never gonna be one now, not after this bull ****.

Note I pegged him as blogger not as espn reporter. He definitely didn't release high quality piece, but I'm talking in general - have access to something as fact but can't release how you know it.... I think a blogger gets by on that but it's also part of why they are bloggers and not journalists. In regards to pats piece- put together sloppily, and we have no idea what he has backing it.

That's my point.

You can rest assured that established, "reputable" news outlets will now be reporting this story and that of course is an upward trajectory.

Then there's the current state of the story itself… if there's an investigation… whether the case is still open… what was found and whether it's been identified yet…

I'll stick to my original belief that this story is ramping up, not fading away.

You know what's really funny? There's a very good chance that any trajectory this story has been started by a 30+ page thread on this board giving this retard Moran credibility.

The strength of internet social media. All hail the power of stupid people in large groups.