(only kinda OT) the "U" is ScrUwed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone considered that a life long, convicted felon who conned hundreds of business men out of a billion dollars might be exaggerating?

-There is only one player who has corroborated the story.

-There are a bunch of bank statements and receipts without players names. The guy had tons of clients! Those receipts couldn't be for his clients?

-There are no pictures of the CURRENT players at this house. Only guys from 2000-2002.

There is no doubt that some of this is true but to believe that this story isn't exaggerated is a bit naive.

Seriously... WTH is Yahoo! Sports anyway?

Too right. ESPN is too busy writing puff pieces about the SEC.

The details of the story may be exaggerated in some cases, but anyone who is surprised to find out that the U may have had a relaxed attitude toward the character of its student-athletes might want to consider moving out from under that rock.

So, Jim Calhoun gets 5 games next year because his assistants text-messaged Nate Miles too much. You're allowed a certain discrete number of communications (100?), and apparently typing "lol" counts as one. That ticky-tack crap only proves that the NCAA's rules were devised before modern communications.

But here, there's no bones about it. Players took money and services, coaches knew full well about it.... If everything Yahoo is reporting sticks --- and you know there's probably more, provided that the NCAA doesn't shut its eyes while they look into it --- the entire UM athletic department should be shuttered for 5 years and placed on probation for 10 more.

This standard answer of "it happens everywhere, XXXX just got caught" is going a little far in this case. Most schools break the rules, but this is some high level stuff.

I am also in the belief that it happens more often the most people suspect. And if the NCAA really looked instead of the powderpuff lip service they actually do we would see that these types of things are not as isolated as some think.

I also think it should be fine. Other sports have minor leagues, the NFLs is just associated with universities and it's time the NCAA and the public recognized that fact. Just my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

The University of Miami is going down. I mean, SMU-style, going down.

Why? Ohio State wasn't given the death sentence.

This is pretty much what the NCAA would call a "lack of institutional control." If that allegation comes down, its bye-bye miami for a long time.

Pot, meet kettle, Free Sneakers University/Cheating scandal

Awww... couldn't happen to a nicer school.

You cant judge a school by it's football team. I'm sure if someone judged ECC that way you'd be upset.

Has anyone considered that a life long, convicted felon who conned hundreds of business men out of a billion dollars might be exaggerating?

-There is only one player who has corroborated the story.

-There are a bunch of bank statements and receipts without players names. The guy had tons of clients! Those receipts couldn't be for his clients?

-There are no pictures of the CURRENT players at this house. Only guys from 2000-2002.

There is no doubt that some of this is true but to believe that this story isn't exaggerated is a bit naive.

From what I read it looks like there are quite a few players that have corroborated his story, not just 1.

Why? Ohio State wasn't given the death sentence.

Pot, meet kettle, Free Sneakers University/Cheating scandal

You cant judge a school by it's football team. I'm sure if someone judged ECC that way you'd be upset.

I actually have friends and family who attended the U, but that does not stop me from thinking that an athletic department that has marketed itself based on the outlaw nature of its program deserves to be exposed. The rest of the university will be better off once these excesses are excised.

As for the ECC crack, I will only say that as someone who graduated from the only major university in the country to tear down its football stadium to build a library, I am willing to place my academic credentials against yours anytime. ;)

:worthy: Jim Kelly, The "U" alum, was on Mike & Mike this morning.

"He said sure, if someone wants to palm you $500 or $1000 dollars its going to be hard to turn that down, about 3 or 4 times. . . ." (To me means he probably took some of the dough on a small scale or dished it out. )

". . .But when you're getting 10s of thousands of dollars it comes down to the players. They have to know better." (to me means, please don't kill the U atheletics)

He seemed genuinly upset.

He also threw in the obvious, ". . . other schools have boosters that probably take their kids out to clubs and give them cars, they just don't have someone that is talking like Shapiro is . . "

Maybe JIm Kelly saved up all those palm dollars and with interest thats how he is going to buy the Buffalo Bills. 0:)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Who cares? Money is what big-time college football is all about, and what it has been about for decades. Anyone who thinks that good schools (and yes, Miami is a good school) that compete for relatively poor kids with sketchy high school records and great athleticism with the intention of placing them in programs that are potentially big money (at least for the big schools) yet without offering them an economic incentive to enroll there is very naive.

Edited by dave mcbride

Who cares? Money is what big-time college football is all about, and what it has been about for decades. Anyone who thinks that good schools (and yes, Miami is a good school) that compete for relatively poor kids with sketchy high school records and great athleticism with the intention of placing them in programs that are potentially big money (at least for the big schools) yet without offering them an economic incentive to enroll there is very naive.

Is this a defense? Because to me it sounds like all the more reason to destroy the entire system.

Good job, ESPN. <_<

Yahoo is becoming known for breaking these big stories. They do some really good investigative journalism over there. I understand that overall, readers demand the type of stuff ESPN puts out (aka crap), but it seems like as big as ESPN is, they could afford to hire some guys to do this kind of in depth stuff too.

I am also in the belief that it happens more often the most people suspect. And if the NCAA really looked instead of the powderpuff lip service they actually do we would see that these types of things are not as isolated as some think.

I also think it should be fine. Other sports have minor leagues, the NFLs is just associated with universities and it's time the NCAA and the public recognized that fact. Just my opinion.

I have no doubt rules are broken everywhere, but saying that it happens at this level everywhere is hyperbole. I have some "inside knowledge" of a major college program (a very close childhood friend's family are BIG time boosters for the program, and the football team in particular) so I get glimpses, albeit small, of this type of thing. But it never approaches anything like this. Yes, boosters feed kids money and cars, easy "jobs", etc..., but this is beyond anything I've heard about. Are there other schools that do it? I'm sure there are; but saying "all schools" (even taking into account the exageration of "all") just isn't accurate. I also know that there are MANY clean programs out there. I've heard my friends family laughing about how easy it is to steal players from "X" school becuase they refuse to play the game. I know it sounds slimy, but it's the reality out there.

I'm also with you in that I believe it should be legal to pay players, though I think it should be in osme controlled manner.

Edited by Faustus

What was Shapiro's motivation? It doesn't seem like funneling players to his agency was even remotely profitable when he was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on hotels, clubs and hookers. It seems more to me like a big dork banrupted himself living out his popularity fantasy.

What was Shapiro's motivation? It doesn't seem like funneling players to his agency was even remotely profitable when he was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on hotels, clubs and hookers. It seems more to me like a big dork banrupted himself living out his popularity fantasy.

You probably just described the majority of the big money boosters in general.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Is this a defense? Because to me it sounds like all the more reason to destroy the entire system.

Destroying DI football? Really? That to me sounds really naive.

I was paid by my University, it's called a work study. The mechanism already exists to pay student athletes.

This morality clause of the NCAA is strange. We make Billions of dollars because of "amateur" sports but just the discussion of trickling some of those dollars down to the student athletes is off limits.

Well there is your problem right there.

The money is there. The problem is breaking it up equitable across the DI football progress. Which can be solved.

If you read the SI article about the "dirty dealing" of a real life agent. The kids aren't asking for 10s of thousands of dollars, they're asking for a couple hundred dollars.

Paying scholorship students about $25-50 an hour above the table for money generating D-I sports like Football and basketball is an achievable goal. Doing that in-conjunction with an extremely harsh "Death penalty" for any University that breaks the rules, incentivises the Universities to police them self.

The "death penalty" is vary rarely used. It most likely will be used in this situation.

What happens in most situations, the coach gets fired and you lose out on a bowl game for 2 years. In the long term this it is a pretty tame punishment. The university isn't losing out on 100s of millions.

If there is a quick "Dealth penalty" for impropriety than the Universities wouldn't want to risk losing out on the 100s of millions of dollars and if they see suspicious booster activity.

Common Objectives:

"They get paid already, in a scholarship"

When you go out with friends for dinner can you just say to the restaurant, put that on my scholarship?

The kids need some walking around money, and they're going to get it one way or another. The NCAA doesn't allow scholarship athletes to have a job. That is a problem.

I needed the $7 an hour I got from my Work-Study in a major way.

"It is college sports; it is pure"

Its 2011, not 1911 wake up.

"What about D-I water polo, do they get paid?"

No. There is not a Billions tied up to televise Water Polo. When there are, we can discuss. Right now D-I College Basketball and D-I College Football are the only real money generating sports.

"Most programs actually lose money"

BS. We're talking about D-I FBS football and D-I Basketball. I don't believe that at all.

Edited by Why So Serious?