Levitre demoted / Levitre promoted

Justice

What do we know about this kid? I came away thinking he was decent last year, but got injured quickly if memory serves. I like the hometown: Boone, Iowa!

Third round pick of the Skins in 2008, 26 years old. 6'5, 327 on bb.com.

Another Skins 3rd was Mr. Dockery. It'd be nice to get one back at them

The door is wide open with Urbik struggling. How has Rinehart looked in camp, what do we think?

I don't know. I was at camp today and he doesn't look that athletic to me. Has kind of a big gut and

his arms don't look that big in proportion to his torso. It's a little hard to get a read on a G in training

camp where they don't go full out and I don't really know their blocking scheme (ie, who his responsibility

is on any given play). I know, a lot of OL don't look very athletic, yet they are good.

My impression is that he isn't really that much competition for Levitre, unless Levitre is a lot worse

that I thought. However, I do think that they (like many teams) are concerned about their OL and are

scrambling to find a set of 5 competent players to put together. From what I could tell, the defensive

line really dominated the OL again today.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you're sticking by your story that the switch was because Levitre was getting out played, and it had nothing to do with trying to motivate a player or send a message?

Really...common Bob, time to give in on this one.

I have not seen enough to tell who is getting outplayed. I think if you check one of my first posts on the subject you will see I said that Chan could be sending a message. Here is the excerpt:

No way do you move a starter (such as Andy Levitre) out of the first rotation just to look at another player simply to "see what he can do". That is counterproductive. Levitre is out because the coaches are sending him a message. This is a wake up call. Levitre now must earn the job back.

fast forward to today and I am now reading that Chan is rotating Levitre and Rinehart. There is defintely a competition going on which is good.

Like many others, I am more surprised that Rinehart is pushing Levitre and not Urbik.

Has Hangartner played RG at all this pre-season? Didn't Levitre play the 2nd string LG spot when moved, have they used him at RT at all this training camp? If they were going to make those kinds of move, I think they would have put those guys at those spots to see the whole line together during practice. This was nothing more then the coaching staff giving Reinhart a chance to show what he has playing with the 1st stringers because of his play on Saturday and during training camp.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started to shake up the o-line in practice if in the second pre-season game the O-line looks bad. They have played Levitre as a tackle at points during his rookie year so I think that he can play the position at least somewhat effectively.

If they really like Reinhart and hate their current options at RT and RG I could see Gailey doing some sort of mash up like putting Reinhart at LG and Levitre at RT as well as Hangman at RG.

We may be looking to far into this....IMO its a way to get Reinhart some more reps with the first team while keeping Urbik working with the first team as well...The competition has got to be between Reinhart and Urbik...I know it you know and they know it... Andy Levitre is our starting LG. What confuses me is that Geoff Hangartner was a primarily a left guard while in Carolina, although not a stellar player he is an adequate lineman. I know wood has been an outstanding center I hope this tinkering doesn't downgrade our line.

Just to add a little background for those who aren't familiar with Rinehart, he was drafted in 2008 by the Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato pairing in DC. This was Cerrato's second stint as Redskins GM and Zorn's 1st year as head coach.

As a rookie from a lower level of competition (Northern Iowa), Rinehart did not play as a rookie.

In 2009, Rinehart became a starter around midseason and started 4 consecutive games before breaking his fibula in a late November game against the Cowboys. He missed the remainder of the 2009 season.

In 2010, Daniel Snyder replaced GM Vinny Cerrato with George Allen and JIm Zorn was replaced by Mike Shanahan as head coach. Rinehart who said he wasn't completely recovered from his broken leg 8+ months earlier was released in the final cutdown by the new regime.

Around three weeks later, the Jets claimed Rinehart and placed him on their practice squad. He was released by the Jets after two weeks and picked up by the Bills one week later (on October 18, 2010).

Just to add a little background for those who aren't familiar with Rinehart, he was drafted in 2008 by the Jim Zorn/Vinny Cerrato pairing in DC. This was Cerrato's second stint as Redskins GM and Zorn's 1st year as head coach.

As a rookie from a lower level of competition (Northern Iowa), Rinehart did not play as a rookie.

In 2009, Rinehart became a starter around midseason and started 4 consecutive games before breaking his fibula in a late November game against the Cowboys. He missed the remainder of the 2009 season.

In 2010, Daniel Snyder replaced GM Vinny Cerrato with George Allen and JIm Zorn was replaced by Mike Shanahan as head coach. Rinehart who said he wasn't completely recovered from his broken leg 8+ months earlier was released in the final cutdown by the new regime.

Around three weeks later, the Jets claimed Rinehart and placed him on their practice squad. He was released by the Jets after two weeks and picked up by the Bills one week later (on October 18, 2010).

Thanks for the background. If I remember correctly Shanny likes a particular type of olineman for his zone blocking scheme, generally guys who are lighter and more athletic. Hopefully he'll work out for us, at least as a solid backup.

Thats seriously interesting info sir! i was not aware of a lot of these details. Seems like he could find up side in time.

Maybe they are just deciding about him(Chad) and not a demotion for Levitre but preparing for the injuries by forcing someguys to crosstrain in a hurry. Or it's a swift kick to either of them.

Any word on the starting O-line for Denver?

Pretty hilarious that literally dozens of posters feel more qualified to judge the performance of the Bills offensive linemen than their own coaches.

Agree. Probably the same fans every year that are certain the Bills are going to be much improved from the year before although they did little to nothing in free agency.