Why did Brown play more than Thigpen?

Mr. WEO

Watching the Jets game last night, the vast majority of the game was played (pretty well, after a rough start) by their #2-McElroy. The Bills won't carry 4 QBs; why did we have to see so much Levi Brown (straight to PS) when Thigpen could clearly use the work?

Watching the Jets game last night, the vast majority of the game was played (pretty well, after a rough start) by their #2-McElroy. The Bills won't carry 4 QBs; why did we have to see so much Levi Brown (straight to PS) when Thigpen could clearly use the work?

To determine whether they need to waste a PS spot?

My guess is they wanted to see if Brown had any chance of sticking, or whether they should cut him now and give another QB (Nesbitt?) a shot at the 3rd QB / PS spot. Although if that was their thought process, I'm a little surprised he's still on the team.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Maybe to see if thigpen is worth keeping. He sure did not look it on the first preseason game.

Thigpen is a virtual lock on No. 2. His rustiness should be cured with more practice time. Meanwhile, Brown remains a project and you want to use as much time to evaluate whether he's worth developing. So far, the verdict is negative.

McElroy is their #3. Brunell, their #2, is out with an injured finger.

This is pure speculation, but maybe Chan is convinced Thigpen is going to be on the active roster and wants to see if Levi has what it takes to challenge Thigpen or stay on the active roster.

McElroy makes Chad Pennington's arm look like John Elway's. Some of those passes he threw last night just died in mid air, I seriously think I might be able to throw a ball further than him.

They know what they have with Fitz and Thigpen...Brown is an unknown. Also, im sure they dont want to risk injury to the number 1 or 2 guy. As we get closer to the regular season I suspect we'll see a little more of Thigpen.

My guess is that the HC has more questions about Brown than he does Thigpen.

Brown is ineligible for the PS. He was on the 53-man roster for 13 games last year.

I think he's eligible. You have to be on the active game day roster for more than six weeks to be ineligible and he wasn't.

The reason Brown played so much is almost every team carries a #3 QB on its roster or PS as a developmental young guy. We're carrying Brad Smith as our #3 QB to use him all over the field, but he will very likely never be a drop back QB, so there is no question that some #3 type developmental guy will be on our PS. Levi has been erratic since they drafted him, and I think they're not too happy with his play. They want to know if he is the guy for the PS or do they need to look at someone else.

Thigpen had only a few days to prep. Probably ran out of plays that he knew! Thig's a lock at #2 and Brown's on the bubble. He sure didn't help himself any in Chicago.

Agreed. Even if we keep Brown (which I think is the prudent move), he still doesn't have to dress on game days. Just insurance I suppose. I really like Smith and am pumped to see him contribute to the offense.

My guess is they wanted to see if Brown had any chance of sticking, or whether they should cut him now and give another QB (Nesbitt?) a shot at the 3rd QB / PS spot. Although if that was their thought process, I'm a little surprised he's still on the team.

Thigpen is a virtual lock on No. 2. His rustiness should be cured with more practice time. Meanwhile, Brown remains a project and you want to use as much time to evaluate whether he's worth developing. So far, the verdict is negative.

This is pure speculation, but maybe Chan is convinced Thigpen is going to be on the active roster and wants to see if Levi has what it takes to challenge Thigpen or stay on the active roster.

What happened to Smith being our #3 QB on the roster? It was widely accepted, given the new rule changes, that Smith was our #3 so we wouldn't have to burn a WR spot on him. If so, there's no room for Levi, so why play him? He's already adequate for PS.

That may be so on paper, but a few more decent showings and that could change. Also, didn't see much of Drew Willy on the field.

McElroy makes Chad Pennington's arm look like John Elway's. Some of those passes he threw last night just died in mid air, I seriously think I might be able to throw a ball further than him.

Clearly you were watching a different game than the one on last night. Maybe take a step closer to the TV screen.

What happened to Smith being our #3 QB on the roster? It was widely accepted, given the new rule changes, that Smith was our #3 so we wouldn't have to burn a WR spot on him. If so, there's no room for Levi, so why play him? He's already adequate for PS.

That may be so on paper, but a few more decent showings and that could change. Also, didn't see much of Drew Willy on the field.

He's adequate for PS, but you're still unsure whether he will develop into a No. 2 down the road. Why waste a PS spot on someone who'll never develop into No 2 or 3?

So in reality, your question should have been not why Brown over Thigpen, but why so much Brown and not another QB prospect. There was nothing to gain by giving Thigpen more time with only a few practice days.

Edited by GG