Could McGee get cut?

Id say there is about a 50-60% chance. The new regime isnt thrilled with undersized and overpaid 30 year olds whos best days are behind them. (see lee evans). He is not one of their guys either. I think this all depends on how leodis plays for the rest of the preseason. With the emergence of williams the top 3 cb spots are now crowded.

He has also missed 12 games in the last 2 years.....just like evans couldn't I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Id say there is about a 50-60% chance. The new regime isnt thrilled with undersized and overpaid 30 year olds whos best days are behind them. (see lee evans). He is not one of their guys either. I think this all depends on how leodis plays for the rest of the preseason. With the emergence of williams the top 3 cb spots are now crowded.

McGee just needs to stay healthy and have a solid preseason. McKelvin is a mental liability, and Florence lacks in run support. McGee has never been afraid to lower his pads and make tackles, unfortunately the past 3 seasons he's seen an increase in running backs breaking through the 1st and 2nd level. I am all for the "youth" movement but McGee is an invaluable stop gap for the next season.

If he doesn't get cut he will play until about week 5 or 6 when his season is over with ANOTHER injury. This will mark the end of #24. At least until we pick up another DB in about rd 4 next year.

Personally I'm ok with dumping McGee. He reminds me of all the reasons why we got rid of Evans. He was very valuable early in his career because of his speed and his special teams ability. Unfortunately he isn't that fast anymore, and can't okay special teams anymore because he's so injury prone. Truth is, Jauron made the wrong choice when they resigned McGee and let a younger Greer walk.

McGee just needs to stay healthy and have a solid preseason. McKelvin is a mental liability, and Florence lacks in run support. McGee has never been afraid to lower his pads and make tackles, unfortunately the past 3 seasons he's seen an increase in running backs breaking through the 1st and 2nd level. I am all for the "youth" movement but McGee is an invaluable stop gap for the next season.

I do agree with this however. I think it would be pointless to cut him for no reason. It's not like we have an over abundance of DBs that need playing time. It's a little different from the WR position. Regardless of a cut or injury, He'll still be gone by week 5.

your ridiculous. Williams has not emerged from anything yet. He got burned twice in a row last night and looked lost in coverage. His pick, while athletic, was not a coverage pick. He was at the right place at the right time (see Jarious Byrd). If McGee is healthy and able, he is starting week 1. PS -- Please dont let hacks like WGR and the Buffalo News mind **** you. The Bills sought after and signed a free agent that fits the mold you cast, and he's our other CB, so the premise of this thread is just nuts.

Edited by Jasonp325

your ridiculous. Williams has not emerged from anything yet. He got burned twice in a row last night and looked lost in coverage. His pick, while athletic, was not a coverage pick. He was at the right place at the right time (see Jarious Byrd). If McGee is healthy and able, he is starting week 1. PS -- Please dont let hacks like WGR and the Buffalo News mind **** you. The Bills sought after and signed a free agent that fits the mold you cast, and he's our other CB, so the premise of this thread is just nuts.

Blanketing a wr, tipping the ball to yourself, and catching it is not a coverage pick? You should watch the game before you post your opinion.

McGee gives the secondary depth as does Florence. McGee and Florence gives the team two veteran guys to add a steady hand while McKelvin can hopefully reach his potential and Williams can develop.

He also only makes about 5 million which is exactly what they thought Florence was worth and I say him and Florence have close value.

He has also missed 12 games in the last 2 years.....just like evans couldn't I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

There is about 0% chance that the bills cut Mcgee. He is the best or very close to being the best corner on this team. No way! Injuries are probably why u keep him, we need depth and cutting Mcgee would cause an issue there. Also they played 1 frigin "Pre Season" game, sima down nah!

Edited by snamsnoops

The Bills and Bears each lined up in 4-wide sets and the Bills went 5-wide a few times.

NFL teams MUST HAVE at least 4 CBs that are trustworthy.

If we cut McGee, who are the 4 CBs we can trust?

To me, the perfect scenario is that McGee is used as a nickel/dime DB… he'll be fresher and less exposed to injury… his contributions to the team would have higher efficiency. McGee is a good player with lots of experience. Put him in a position to contribute.

Not gonna sit here and flame on you, because you're entitled to your own wrong opinion. That being said, there is no reason to cut McGee. He played well, taking care of his man in coverage and is, as a few above have stated, our true, deserving #1 CB. Williams will develop into a solid player, but he is nowhere near ready to be a top 2 CB.

Edited by VanCity

Then why shop Evans and not McGee?

I don't think McGee gets cut, but I see the logic in your thinking. I think the only reason he stays is because of the need for depth in our secondary. If they get more depth next year, I think he is gone. (unless he has some sort of stellar year).

Blanketing a wr, tipping the ball to yourself, and catching it is not a coverage pick? You should watch the game before you post your opinion.

BB prior to that Williams struggled a bit

I am not saying Williams is not going to be a player I think he will but I dont think they think of the defense the same way they do the offense.....Lee doesnt fit the scheme.......its not the same situation with McGee

Not gonna sit here and flame on you, because you're entitled to your own wrong opinion. That being said, there is no reason to cut McGee. He played well, taking care of his man in coverage and is, as a few above have stated, our true, deserving #1 CB. Williams will develop into a solid player, but he is nowhere near ready to be a top 2 CB.

An opinion is one thing...

throwing our percentages and creating an ENTIRE thread about what you think "might" happen because you think you're smart enough to run your own team, well, that's kind of something else....

BB prior to that Williams struggled a bit

I am not saying Williams is not going to be a player I think he will but I dont think they think of the defense the same way they do the offense.....Lee doesnt fit the scheme.......its not the same situation with McGee

Im just saying if were gonna purge the roster of are old players who have not produced the last few years now is the time. He has 1 int in the last two years and has been getting beaten a lot lately. That is not my opinion, those are the facts. I specifically remember him getting burned by the bengals 2nd string wr jordan shipley last year and when he tried to catch up with him it looked like he was running in sand.

I think people on this board need to stop thinking about how productive players once were and instead look at their current value to this team.

The Bills and Bears each lined up in 4-wide sets and the Bills went 5-wide a few times.

NFL teams MUST HAVE at least 4 CBs that are trustworthy.

If we cut McGee, who are the 4 CBs we can trust?

To me, the perfect scenario is that McGee is used as a nickel/dime DB… he'll be fresher and less exposed to injury… his contributions to the team would have higher efficiency. McGee is a good player with lots of experience. Put him in a position to contribute.

I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to demote McGee. He is better in coverage and run support than McKelvin.

Blanketing him? The WR was open for about 3 seconds, the Qb was late delivering the ball, the ball went off about 3 sets of hands, lets not pretend like it was a play of the year. Granted, it was an athletic play, but it was far from a perfect play for him, if the QB had timed it better, it was going to be 6 for the Bears.