Gaileys ego

Gailey is going to hold us back with all these gadget and gimmick plays.Im sick of the wildcat already.He thinks it makes him look smart.The only reason they havnt brought in a legitimate QB is so he can run all of these crappy plays and formations.These plays always bring our QB out of the game.Look at all of the playoff teams and see if they rely on gimmicks or if they just use their talent and game plan.You dont want to bring your most valuable player,your QB out of the game unless he isnt that talented.As long as hes running the offense we wont see a real QB in Buffalo.We will continue to run the played out wildcat and a college spread offense.And dont be surprised if Fitz is gone next year and Thigpen and Smith are our QBs.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gailey is going to hold us back with all these gadget and gimmick plays.Im sick of the wildcat already.He thinks it makes him look smart.The only reason they havnt brought in a legitimate QB is so he can run all of these crappy plays and formations.These plays always bring our QB out of the game.Look at all of the playoff teams and see if they rely on gimmicks or if they just use their talent and game plan.You dont want to bring your most valuable player,your QB out of the game unless he isnt that talented.As long as hes running the offense we wont see a real QB in Buffalo.We will continue to run the played out wildcat and a college spread offense.And dont be surprised if Fitz is gone next year and Thigpen and Smith are our QBs.

you are correct

2 years ago they tried to trade up for Tebow

After that failed, they tanked last year to get Newton but Luck screwed them over by staying in school and allowed Cam to go #1.

don't be surprised if they eventually trade for Tebow now that he has been downgraded in Denver.

I agree. Gailey played 5 guys at QB last night. The audacity he displayed by proving that he could try to beat the Bears using 5 different quarterbacks in the same game is laughable. If we have any chance at all the rest of this preseason, we need to just stick with using 3 or fewer quarterbacks and start running the entire playbook, not just all these crazy gadget plays that teams showcase in the preseason to plant seeds in the heads of regular season opponents to make them devote at least a little bit of preparation to them. Open up the playbook, show your bread and butter plays and get ready for next week, let's get back to .500!!!!

you are correct

2 years ago they tried to trade up for Tebow

After that failed, they tanked last year to get Newton but Luck screwed them over by staying in school and allowed Cam to go #1.

don't be surprised if they eventually trade for Tebow now that he has been downgraded in Denver.

You have your facts wrong, they didnt tank for Newton, they went 4-4 in the final 8.

But I dont think Tebow would be the guy they went after if they wanted another option QB, Dennis Dixon would be the guy.

They did pass on Kaepernik, so I dont know if this theory hold up.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Are you guys delusional? The offense was not the problem last year, and Gailey is the biggest reason for our turnaround on that side of the ball. He always gets the best out of his quarterbacks and that's why Fitz was able to have success and throw for over 3000 yards last year.

And wildcat is a change of pace type play, not an every down kind of thing. Fitz will still be in there 80% of the time doing what he does best and that's slinging the ball all over the field. And why would we show our bread and butter plays in the first preseason game, for christ sake its the preseason. Let's relax a little, saying that Gailey is holding us back on offense is ridiculous

Are you guys delusional? The offense was not the problem last year, and Gailey is the biggest reason for our turnaround on that side of the ball. He always gets the best out of his quarterbacks and that's why Fitz was able to have success and throw for over 3000 yards last year.

And wildcat is a change of pace type play, not an every down kind of thing. Fitz will still be in there 80% of the time doing what he does best and that's slinging the ball all over the field. And why would we show our bread and butter plays in the first preseason game, for christ sake its the preseason. Let's relax a little, saying that Gailey is holding us back on offense is ridiculous

JP Lossman threw for over three thousand yards and Trent Edwards threw for 2700 in 14 games.Was that because of Gailey?

Ever think we haven't had a shot to get the guy we want, and in the meantime we need to do something different?

I actually like what Gailey is/has done so far. First of all, he's taking what he's got and maximizing it. He knows that O line sucks so he's going to a spread offense/3 step drop passing game. He knows Fitz is at his best when he can get the ball out of his hands quickly. They traded Lee because he is a one dimentional WR and the Bills can't routinly hold off the pass rush on a 5 step drop.

Secondly, They are not running the Dolphin version of the Wildcat. The Wildcat was an offense that was revived in Arkansas when they had McFadden, Hillis and Jones in their backfelid. The formation allowed all of them to be on the field at the same time and run the ball down teams throats. Once in a while they would pass the ball but it was rare.

Gailey is going to using this formation more like Auburn uses it. 50/50 run pass. That is just a guess but they would not be including Brad Smith in 7 on 7's as a qb if he wasn't going to throw the ball 5+ times per game. The threat of the pass will soften up defenses. This will be very unique to the NFL because no one has tried it yet.

The bottom line is that Gailey is utilizing these "gadget/gimmick" (which they are not)formations/plays because Nix chose to rebuild the defense first and completely neglect an offensive line that has hampered the Bills for a decade. This is about Nix's ego, not Gailey's.

Pigpen looked horrible last night. Passes over, behind and at the feet of his targets. If Fitz goes down we won't win a game. #2 QB is a glaring weakness on this team.

You have your facts wrong, they didnt tank for Newton, they went 4-4 in the final 8.

But I dont think Tebow would be the guy they went after if they wanted another option QB, Dennis Dixon would be the guy.

They did pass on Kaepernik, so I dont know if this theory hold up.

Did anybody watch Kaepernik play yesterday?...He has the worst mechanics I've seen. He should at least look like a qb. SF might be in a position to take (or trade) Luck next year.

Overreaction? Its only preseason and Thigpen looked nowhere near as good as Fitz and if they wanted to replace him they could have drafted a first or second round QB. My biggest complaint is they aren't balancing the run, you can't pass 6 times then run once and then pass some more and it showed in our lack of scoring. No balance no winning.

Oh my god. Its the preseason! What the hell is wrong with you people?

Dead on Kevin. You chicken littles need to get a grip. It's preseason...there were no OTAs, no team workouts, NOTHING but training camp. OMG, the sky is falling. Maybe we should have traded for McNabb, over spent on some has been FAs. There is no other team out there any better than the Bills right now. They're all in the same boat.

I for one love what Chan brings to this team. They realized there was dead wood and started throwing it overboard last year. These things take time boys and girls. Yeah I question the Evans trade, but you know what, there are some hungry and talented WRs behind him that will never get the chance as long as Evans was taking a roster spot only becuase he could draw double coverage.

Let's all just chill, relax, sit back and enjoy the season.

Wow. What an abomination of a thread. Dear OP. We don't have an oline. Maybe the worst in football. The only way to make up for our lack of oline is to devise gimmick plays in order to keep the defense guessing. Would you rather us run on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd and long like DJ? Would you rather chan call deep passes so fitz can drop back and get killed before he can unload the ball to a WR that's not open? Our only option due to our lack of an Oline us to go with short passes and gimmicks. We can't run a traditional offense due too our blocking. As another poster said, nix bypassed oline in order to improve our biggest issue, stopping the run. Because of that, we are stuck with a bad line. I'm happy nix chose that route, as our defense looks much better (one preseason game doesn't mean jack, but I'm convinced our run d will be improved). Your assessment that we sucked last year because we wanted newton is laughable. I that were the case, we wouldn't gave finished 4-4. If there was a qb available that was worth a dam, I'm confidant we would have tried to land him. Would you have liked to add mcnabb, hasselback, kolb, orton or taverns Jackson? After reading your post, you probably would have loved to. I'll take my chance with fitz and thigpen this year and if the experiment fails, try to upgrade next year...along with the oline. Gailey has consistantly done well with a lack of talent and may be able to do it again this year with a lack of oline. I'm sure changes will be made next year if that isn't the case. We are rebuilding a team that had many huge holes, it's takes time. Chill out some

I really like Gailey, I think the guy can coach. But, I do give some credence to the OP's argument. These trick plays, and "gadjet" plays are normally the kind of things that coaches at small college programs, or really under-manned NFL teams rely on. I fear that Gailey and Nix are trying to build a team that will perpetually be, on offense anyways, over matched in the NFL. I want them to build team that can go on the field, and have a chance to beat anybody...not one that has to rely on trick plays to gain advantage. In the end, that never works, as exciting as it can be. I am not saying there is no room for the occasional, well placed trick play, but to build an offense around them is not the wisest thing, I think.