Lee Evans difficult to deal with?

Mike Preston with the Baltimore Sun writes this gem:

"Evans can be difficult to deal with at times, and that made the Ravens hesitant about making the deal, but Newsome was adamant in finding quarterback Joe Flacco some help, especially since the Ravens have spent so much investing in Flacco."

Story here.

"Evans can be difficult to deal with at times, and that made the Ravens hesitant about making the deal, but Newsome was adamant in finding quarterback Joe Flacco some help, especially since the Ravens have spent so much investing in Flacco."

Story here.

Yeah, that seems like it was pulled out of thin air...never a problem in 7 years that I recall...maybe he wanted out now because he wasn't involved as much in Gailey's offense as he would have liked but to call him difficult to deal with is a stretch.

Yeah, that seems like it was pulled out of thin air...never a problem in 7 years that I recall...maybe he wanted out now because he wasn't involved as much in Gailey's offense as he would have liked but to call him difficult to deal with is a stretch.

The only minor controversy during Lee's tenure were comments in support of Losman after Edwards had been named the starter. Other than that, not a peep. That writer seems to be talking out of his ass.

The only minor controversy during Lee's tenure were comments in support of Losman after Edwards had been named the starter. Other than that, not a peep. That writer seems to be talking out of his ass.

[/quote

I imagine there are ways besides talking to the media to be difficult..... Perhaps it's true that he didn't like certain routes etc... Who knows. I liked him but I only see so much.

never heard of writing out of your ass.

definitely possible as well.

i just think we as fans overestimate what we have access to as well. maybe there was a reason that he wasnt a media darling that wasnt just him being a small market professional. maybe there is a reason we didnt see him do some of the things we always wondered about like going over the middle. maybe the qb stuff and the wildly different production depending on who was out there was a symptom of something bigger that we only got glances at over the years. not as out of this world as you make it sound.

i like lee, but i wont say its impossible. outside of jp and the long ball, i dont recall him being particularly close to a lot of other players. maybe im just manufacturing memories to fit the quote though.

Reminds me a bit of then Cleveland DC Rob Ryan's bad mouthing then Bills QB Trent Edwards as a trash-talker. Trent made a relatively innocuous after game interview statement the year before about how beating Oakland wasn't that hard. RR - who was the DC of said same Raiders took a burn and used it to motivate himself and his new troops. Maybe this Mike Preston person tried to get more out of Lee after last year's game when he dismantled the Ravens' secondary than Lee was willing to give. "Scuse me, I got to get to the shower and get dressed for the bus now or I'll miss the team plane back to Buffalo."

Lee Evans, refusing to answer the same question for the fourth time, stormed out of the locker room leaving reporters at a loss to complete their stories on how the small, disrespected wide receiver from of-all-places – Buffalo, managed to catch 3 TD passes in today's game against the World Class Baltimore Ravens. Mike Preston Ballmore Stun Ace Reporter

Story here.

Evans always said the right things to the media and the fans; model behavior for a pro athlete in terms of media and community relations. That does not mean he was not difficult to deal with in doing the things a coach needs and expects in an offensive scheme. Gailey hinted at this last year and in the offseason; Evans was expected to do more than run his long routes and consistently failed to execute within the framework of this offense. Let's be clear, he has been an underachiever. TO joins the team and completely out produces Evans two years ago, despite Evans being our number one. And when we played the Jets that year, Revis. was assigned to cover Owens, and it's the Jets scheme to always have Revis cover the other teams best receiver. Likewise, Johnson completely outproduced him last year, and Evans came up small in big moments last year

The problem is that the media here has no inside sources, no insight into the real inside workings of this team. So the perception that Evans is a model player is based solely on the public persona he provides to the media. Clearly this Baltimore reporter does have sources within the Ravens organization, and that organization obtained this info on Evans as part of their due diligence prior to making this deal.

Evans always said the right things to the media and the fans; model behavior for a pro athlete in terms of media and community relations. That does not mean he was not difficult to deal with in doing the things a coach needs and expects in an offensive scheme. Gailey hinted at this last year and in the offseason; Evans was expected to do more than run his long routes and consistently failed to execute within the framework of this offense. Let's be clear, he has been an underachiever. TO joins the team and completely out produces Evans two years ago, despite Evans being our number one. And when we played the Jets that year, Revis. was assigned to cover Owens, and it's the Jets scheme to always have Revis cover the other teams best receiver. Likewise, Johnson completely outproduced him last year, and Evans came up small in big moments last year

The problem is that the media here has no inside sources, no insight into the real inside workings of this team. So the perception that Evans is a model player is based solely on the public persona he provides to the media. Clearly this Baltimore reporter does have sources within the Ravens organization, and that organization obtained this info on Evans as part of their due diligence prior to making this deal.

I was going to call shennigans on this as Evans appears to be the "model player" but this is an interesting theory...

excellent...very true. Evans was not a leader and failed after getting a big contract. his long route running is metaphorical to his attitude....he simply ran away from it all instead of getting into the fire (short routes).

Story here.

sounds like the typical spin from OBD designed to give cover to their stupid player moves

seems dirt surfaces on every player the Bills brain trust deems expendable - but not until they leave

At the time that may have been true but once the Glove Wearing Mary was exposed, the controversy evaporated.