Who steps into the #2

Estro

With Evans gone, Stevie Johnson is clearly the Bills #1 WR. My question is who now becomes the #2? I'm thinking David Nelson becomes the man, with Roscoe and Roosevelt working the slot. If Easley can stay healthy and shows something in preseason I believe he setups as an outside #2 WR type too. Anybody have any clue how it'll shake down?

I seem to remember seeing, when the Bills played @ Miami late last season when Lee and Roscoe were out for the year, a lot of 3 WR sets w/ Stevie David Nelson and Namaam Roosevelt. I also remember them moving the ball pretty effectively through the air with those 3.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was as big an Evans advocate as anyone, and hate the trade. But we still do have a lot of talent at the skill positions, as well as an experienced inventive coach who often can get the most out of the hand he is dealt. I think Evans was very valuable but that doesn't mean the offense falls apart without him. We will need one of several different possibilities to happen:

1] Easley stays healthy and can beat NFL CBs deep in games that count and make plays, thereby spreading the field like Evans did.

2] Gailey finds creative ways to mask glaring deficiencies so the offense can still move the ball, like, for instance, last year when he pulled the guards and center on some passing plays to confuse and block the DEs.

3] Fitz, through Gailey, is able to spread the ball around in quick short passes to all the various weapons, including Roscoe, Spiller, Brad Smith, D Nelson, D Jones, etc. It takes more plays and first downs to get TDs but it could still work.

The jury is out on who will be #2. Easley working out would be the best possible scenario. I fully expect Steve Johnson and David Nelson to be better players than they were last year because of experience, knowledge of the system, and time spent with Gailey and Fitz. I also think Brad Smith is a special talent and will be used wisely.

We could still be good, and very good if Easley is good. It would just be easier if we still had Evans.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

1] Easley stays healthy and can beat NFL CBs deep in games that count and make plays, thereby spreading the field like Evans did.

If that's their thinking, I want some of what they're smoking.

A guy with one year (actually only half a year) of production at the mid-major college level and a couple of weeks of NFL traing camp strikes me as no option to replace Evans.

2] Gailey finds creative ways to mask glaring deficiencies so the offense can still move the ball, like, for instance, last year when he pulled the guards and center on some passing plays to confuse and block the DEs.

It's going to get harder for Chan now that DC's have had a year to analyze tape. He's a good OC, but the element of surprise (especially with Fitz) is going to be reduced vs. last year.

3] Fitz, through Gailey, is able to spread the ball around in quick short passes to all the various weapons, including Roscoe, Spiller, Brad Smith, D Nelson, D Jones, etc. It takes more plays and first downs to get TDs but it could still work.

Our only hope. May work, may not.

But that fourth round pick won't be too effective when it come to drawing up the game plan each week, I'm guessing...

I seem to remember seeing, when the Bills played @ Miami late last season when Lee and Roscoe were out for the year, a lot of 3 WR sets w/ Stevie David Nelson and Namaam Roosevelt. I also remember them moving the ball pretty effectively through the air with those 3.

I recall that game too. I also recall Roosevelt looked pretty solid working as a flanker. Wouldn't be surprised if we see him on an end occasionally in 3 and 4-receiver sets.

If that's their thinking, I want some of what they're smoking.

A guy with one year (actually only half a year) of production at the mid-major college level and a couple of weeks of NFL traing camp strikes me as no option to replace Evans.

It's going to get harder for Chan now that DC's have had a year to analyze tape. He's a good OC, but the element of surprise (especially with Fitz) is going to be reduced vs. last year.

First of all, again, I don't think Nix and Gailey were behind this.

Second, he doesn't really have to instantly replace Evans or be as good. Just a threat and a few long catches will help the other players tremendously. Right now, teams are going to do what they did last year when Evans was out, crowd the line and play 8-9 in the box. That closed up our offense a lot. SJ was making catches but guys were all over him and he went right down, or was already on the ground when he caught it. There was far less room to throw. The running game suffers. If they can't creep up much because they may get burned with Easley open deep, it will go a long way. I think he showed them enough in training camp last year, showed Fitz a lot in the off season workouts, to make them believe he has the ability. No one knows though, and the reason I am firmly against the trade is we cannot count on it happening. it could.

Third, as far as Gailey and tape go, I like our chances to go further rather than teams catching up on us. I really think Spiller is going to be a talent. I really think D Nelson is a solid player and playmaker. I love Brad Smith. With a full year under the offense, I expect Fitz to be better, not defenses catching up. I could be wrong.

There wasn't a #1 and #2 receiver when Lee Evans was here. There won't be a "#1" and "#2" receiver when Lee Evans is gone.

The WR corps will be a platoon depending on the Situation.

Stevie (who definitely needs to be extended now, they just gave him a whole bunch of negotiating leverage) will most likely be on the field the most often.

As for who will be on the field the second most often. It will take the Pre Season to decide my guess is someone named David.

but the Madden "#1" #2 mindset doesn't really apply to this offense.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The way offenses run now it is less important to say who is the #2, #3, etc. Look at the Patriots last year, they did it with two TEs.

I think it boils down to what combos works the best. Right now, I would like to see a lot of 4 receiver sets include Brad Smith. Combos I like the best:

Johnson, Nelson, Parrish, Smith

Johnson, Nelson, Smith and either Easley or Jones

Johnson, Nelson, Easley and Jones

Mix in some TE stuff and there are a lot of options. I think the next one to be squeezed out could be Parrish just because of his lack of durability, though Easley has a lot to prove there too (and whether he can play in real games).

I don't really like the move, a 4th rounder isn't much and I think if they kept Evans and he had some decent production they could have gotten the same thing or better in the offseason and they'd have a better idea what they had in terms of talent from the young guys.

David Nelson isn't leaving the slot WR position. His skill sets don't match up with the outside position. My guess is Easley is who the coaches hope wins the spot, but they know several can. I know the there are several members of the team and some fans downtrodden by the Evans trade. I'm of the thinking this is an incredible compliment to our youngsters whom the FO and coaching staff believe can fill the void left by Evans either by one person stepping up or by a committee.

So what now Evans is gone, whose going to be #2 WR. Hmm maybe Parrish (the skinny short guy, but nah u guys think we need a tall threat) umm maybe Buster Davis (Nix's love child), or maybe Easely who hasnt played a game in his ENTIRE CAREER or maybe David Nelson (the only one i dnt mind) or maybe Roosevelt or Aiken who were struggling to make the roster this year until Evans gets traded. Oh wait maybe we can go to FA to try and get a replacement, whose left TO, so TO take 2 for the bills

I hate this trade we get squat in return for a solid #2 receiver, you guys can say whatever u want about evans but he made our recieving core better