Who steps into the #2

Estro

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we forget teh obvious choice?

I laughed me arse off! thanks for the insight.

Nelson has been announced as the replacement for Evans, but i think that they think that they will be able to have Easley be the guy. even tonights game should be interesting how they line up the receivers even after the starters are done. All our receiving corps is second string and third line players hoping to break the starting line up. Parrish is not playing is he? Who is the slot guy tonight?

Gailey will likely use a combination of packages with Stevie on one side, and Easley, Parrish, Brad Smith, D Jones, D Nelson, or maybe even Roosevelt or Buster Davis on the other. I doubt there will be a true #2 unless Easley steps up huge. Parrish and D Nelson will still play the slot and be the #3 and #4 in various packages. D Jones and even Easley should play a lot of downs outside because they both can block (although Easley has yet to do it in the NFL).

We have a lot of players that will likely be interchangeable with no one putting up big stats or playing time because Fitz will be spreading the ball around. I do expect Parrish and D Nelson to get the most looks overall, but they won't be playing the #2 position much. I can more easily imagine 4 players with 30+ catches rather than anyone other than SJ with a big stat year.

I'll tell you guys one thing, Parrish or Nelson are not even being considered for the #2 role because they would be useless out there, yes even the new TBD wonderboy Nelson. Both are slot guys even Nelson, who at 6'5 I know intriques people, but his strength is his ability to find holes in the zone and providing height in the middle of the field. The #2 is between Easley and Davis with Jones being the darkhorse.

I'll tell you guys one thing, Parrish or Nelson are not even being considered for the #2 role because they would be useless out there, yes even the new TBD wonderboy Nelson. Both are slot guys even Nelson, who at 6'5 I know intriques people, but his strength is his ability to find holes in the zone and providing height in the middle of the field. The #2 is between Easley and Davis with Jones being the darkhorse.

While in theory that is true, in practicality, Gailey has already said that a few guys will get looks there. People tend to forget that early last year, for two games, Gailey benched Steve Johnson and started Parrish as the #2. SJ still came in and played, but Parrish was the wide guy on first downs and two WR sets. Nelson has been lobbying to play outside more and all of them are getting deep passes in practice. Davis, too, was thought to be a slot guy when he came out of college.

I'm a fan of Nelson but correct me if I'm wrong but he seems more like a possession receiver/Josh Reed type of #3 WR (as opposed to a speedy Roscoe Parrish #3), and won't necessarily stretch the field with great speed, which we'll need opposite Stevie Johnson.

Also, speaking of injuries to Buster Davis, how can we be so sure that Evans will be any more combat effective than Davis this year? Evans is coming off an ankle injury, let's not forget, so it's not like he'd be a great improvement over Davis from a medical standbpoint. Granted, I'm sure that the Ravens did their due diligence with Evans, but it seems like the guy playing opposite Stevie Johnson was always going to be a hospital case (either Davis, Easley or Evans), which is a point of concern for me.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

I was surprised at the call with Nelson too. But i can imagine we are just going to shuffle players around for plays and defenses. Maybe the question we should consider is who can outrun the defense and draw the safety right off? Easley i hope can develop and be the guy. Stevie does not take Evans place he will stay at the #2 i think. Not a bad thing at all.

I just don't see Nelson having the skills to get the separation needed on the outside. As for Parrish, you know they didn't want him out there any longer than he needed to be. SJ just got off to a slow start.

Oh, I agree. And both Parrish and Nelson work better out of the slot. It's hard to say whether Nelson can play outside, he surely doesn't have the top end speed to get deep, but he is a very good route runner, and not only just splitting seams. He also put on 20 pounds since last year. I'm pretty sure they mostly want Easley to end up playing there. So far I think his injury bug has been more coincidence than a guy who is always hurt but that remains to be seen. And not even preseason games are going to tell us whether he can get deep on NFL CBs on a consistent enough basis. He has to do it in the real games, more than a couple times and make plays or teams are just going to let one guy cover him.

I just think that we have a lot of weapons and different kinds of players with different strengths. And Gailey is smart and creative enough to mix and match mini packages, utilizing all of the WRs he has on the game day active list, along with Spiller and Brad Smith (who is very football fast) to spread the field, instead of having a set #2.

So who is their second best? I sure didn't see him against the Bears.

Last year Roscoe (before he was hurt) and Nelson were both better than Evans.

Your question implies you are assuming Evans would have made a play last night.

He barely did ALL LAST SEASON so why do you assume you would have "see[n] him against the Bears" even if "him" was Evans??

Edited by BobChalmers

Last year Roscoe (before he was hurt) and Nelson were both better than Evans.

Your question implies you are assuming Evans would have made a play last night.

He barely did ALL LAST SEASON so why do you assume you would have "see[n] him against the Bears" even if "him" was Evans??

Because I've seen Evans make many plays over the course of his career, including last year (refer to the Ravens game). I've yet to see Nelson or Jones or Roosevelt do anything even remotely comparable to what I would expect form a #2 receiver on a championship team. Parrish has been useful in the past for the 50% of the season that he is healthy, but he is not really built like an outside receiver.

Say what you will about Evans, but I don't see a replacement on the roster for him right now.