Martez Wilson

A lot of people wanted us to draft the ILB from Illinois in the second round. He ended up going in the 3rd to the Saints 4 picks after we picked up ILB Kelvin Shepard. Apparently is struggling at camp and definitely won't be a starter (from nfl nation blog- Camp Confidential Saints):

One linebacker who is struggling a bit is third-round pick Martez Wilson. You can see he has good athleticism, but he looks lost at times during team drills. The Saints aren’t anywhere close to being ready to give up on him because he has lots of upside. But a lot of fans thought he’d be an instant starter. That’s not going to happen.

Obviously it's early, but there were a couple reports on him that I read that he was a great athlete and a real boom or bust kind of guy. I figured he wasn't on our list (and apparently wasn't since we passed him in the second & third round and picked a different ILB). But he was "ranked" by a lot of draft journals as "better" than KS.

It seems our draft philosophy is to draft the "athletes only" type in the late rounds and pick high productivity guys early.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

A lot of people wanted us to draft the ILB from Illinois in the second round. He ended up going in the 3rd to the Saints 4 picks after we picked up ILB Kelvin Shepard. Apparently is struggling at camp and definitely won't be a starter (from nfl nation blog- Camp Confidential Saints):

Obviously it's early, but there were a couple reports on him that I read that he was a great athlete and a real boom or bust kind of guy. I figured he wasn't on our list (and apparently wasn't since we passed him in the second & third round and picked a different ILB). But he was "ranked" by a lot of draft journals as "better" than KS.

It seems our draft philosophy is to draft the "athletes only" type in the late rounds and pick high productivity guys early.

Two weeks into his rookie year. Our '10 picks all sat on the bench last year if you didn't notice.

Two weeks into his rookie year. Our '10 picks all sat on the bench last year if you didn't notice.

Oh yes, it's EARLY. But a lot of people expected him to be a first year starter. It's difficult in general for a rookie to start, but the big worries about him before the draft look like valid concerns. This post is just an update for those who were interested in ILBs before the draft.

IMO, he's closer to a Maybin type draft pick, where exceptional athleticism overshadows weaker skills & production. But at only a 3rd rounder that's closer to where these types of gambles should be taken and not at the top of the 1st.

Oh yes, it's EARLY. But a lot of people expected him to be a first year starter. It's difficult in general for a rookie to start, but the big worries about him before the draft look like valid concerns. This post is just an update for those who were interested in ILBs before the draft.

IMO, he's closer to a Maybin type draft pick, where exceptional athleticism overshadows weaker skills & production. But at only a 3rd rounder that's closer to where these types of gambles should be taken and not at the top of the 1st.

I'm not saying Wilson will or won't bust but the comparison to Maybin stops at "athleticism".

Maybin doesn't sniff the field his Jr year if King and Evans don't suspended/injured.

Wilson was a 3 year starter at Illinois and played mutlipe positions. They moved him all over the place until last year.

There is also no way to say how he'd look in a Bills uniform because the Saints run a completely different defense.7

Shows that Nix knows what he is doing. Don't know about Athletes late as my boy Chris White was picked in the 6th and great athlete he isn't but great player he is. I think he picks who ever is the best available at the time.

I'm not saying Wilson will or won't bust but the comparison to Maybin stops at "athleticism".

Maybin doesn't sniff the field his Jr year if King and Evans don't suspended/injured.

Wilson was a 3 year starter at Illinois and played mutlipe positions. They moved him all over the place until last year.

There is also no way to say how he'd look in a Bills uniform because the Saints run a completely different defense.7

Agreed. Although I'm an U of Illinois graduate so I still pay attention to the players there. I never got the vibe that he was a Nix kind of guy.

And most of the Oakland Raiders 2010 draft class contributed to their 8-8 season. Who said the game has passsed Al Davis by??

im definitely curious to see how he looks in the dome tonight. i think its funny that people peg a mid rounder as an instant impact starter. especially on a team returning an injured starter at the position from last year that the coaches were big on. average fans, not great judges of how draft picks fit into teams. those same fans would tell you that the saints two first rounders should start having busts made in canton.

Wilson is in the same.. partly submerged boat as all the rookies are this year. No playbook or real workouts or communications, etc. Sheppard is iffy as a starter for at least part of the season. he will be very good or better i think, but right now he is not ready. Neither is Martez. They both will be very good barring injury. And i was all for on Wilson to Buffalo myself

Uh.. Ever think they might have better players on New Orleans and it's harder to crack the starting line-up there....... Nah !! :doh:

Uh.. Ever think they might have better players on New Orleans and it's harder to crack the starting line-up there....... Nah !! :doh:

At olb, they do not have good players. Scott shanle is attrocious. Jonathan casillas being back healthy should take Wilsons spot, but he's never really played. It was the obvious way someone would see this playing out, but it isn't because the saints OLBs are world beaters. Likely among the weakest units in the league.

JoLonn Dunbar

Scott shanle

Jonathan casillas - who everyone's hoping for

Will herring?

Danny Clark?

You see why Joe fan thinks Wilson must start. It's just silly to think a midround pick coming off the lockout would supplant a starter from last year. JC was penciled to start last year before injury and looked beastly last night. Might be a name everyone learns quickly.