Dear Mr. Brandon, Instead of coming down on the fans.

I love that a "tool" is a guy making 6 figures to work for a pro sports team. What does that make the person criticizing them on a message board? :pirate:

Here's a thought: why don't you stop killing yourself for 6 hours or so? Is it really that hard? I couldn't care less that people want to give themselves cancer, but stop freaking crying about it. They banned smoking in NYC parks and guess what? You can walk without seeing cigarette buds everywhere. The public shouldn't suffer because you can't control your "cravings." Stop whining.

Don't make the assumption that you know what I do, what I make, that my job is any less fun or cool than Brandon's, or that you know my my smoking status, because you are probably wrong. The only thing you actually know is: I am criticizing Brandon, accurately I might add, on a message board.

Here's some data for you:

1. 10s of Ks of people smoke at the Bills game. This is a fact. Whether they should? Irrelevant opinion. Whether you like it? Also irrelevant opinion. Whether they get cancer? Not in your or Russ Brandon's scope of control or concern.

2. The more you tell 10s of Ks of people they can't do something, when they are already lubricated with booze and amongst 100s of other people doing the same thing, the more they will do it, partially because of the fun of telling you to F off, partially because of the numbers they have and the group dynamic is unique to the Bills game, and partially because they need to remind you how dumb you are for even considering imposing your world view on them.

This is about dealing with reality. Reality is 1 and 2. If you, or Brandon, are unable or unwilling to deal with 1 and 2, that will reflect itself in the ineffectiveness of your proposed "solutions". You will find them: lacking.

Thus, you can either work on your acceptance of the reality of 1 and 2, or, you can continue to deny reality. The choice is yours, but I guarantee that you will find legions of people smoking at the game this year, as always, regardless of whatever you say/do. Brandon needs to realize this, even if you can't, and understand: winning games is the best way to alleviate all of these problems.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon's job is no longer to make the team better and win more games. That is Nix, Gailey, Whaley, Overdorff's et al job. I doubt Brandon has any real say in personnel matters whatsoever.

I sure the hell hope not Kelly after what Brandon did to the O-line. The Bills are still trying to bounce back from his BS.

Russ is lucky that fans are still buying tickets to see a perenial losing team. In other markets the stadium would be half empty and tarped if this was their product season after season.

Heres to hoping sometime this decade we can actually make the playoffs...forget talking about the super bowl lets just hope to get into the playoffs... at least we have the sabres.

I love that a "tool" is a guy making 6 figures to work for a pro sports team. What does that make the person criticizing them on a message board? :pirate:

Here's a thought: why don't you stop killing yourself for 6 hours or so? Is it really that hard? I couldn't care less that people want to give themselves cancer, but stop freaking crying about it. They banned smoking in NYC parks and guess what? You can walk without seeing cigarette buds everywhere. The public shouldn't suffer because you can't control your "cravings." Stop whining.

Ja wohl, Herr Goebbels.

Don't make the assumption that you know what I do, what I make, that my job is any less fun or cool than Brandon's, or that you know my my smoking status, because you are probably wrong. The only thing you actually know is: I am criticizing Brandon, accurately I might add, on a message board.

1. 10s of Ks of people smoke at the Bills game. This is a fact. Whether they should? Irrelevant opinion. Whether you like it? Also irrelevant opinion. Whether they get cancer? Not in your or Russ Brandon's scope of control or concern.

2. The more you tell 10s of Ks of people they can't do something, when they are already lubricated with booze and amongst 100s of other people doing the same thing, the more they will do it, partially because of the fun of telling you to F off, partially because of the numbers they have and the group dynamic is unique to the Bills game, and partially because they need to remind you how dumb you are for even considering imposing your world view on them.

This is about dealing with reality. Reality is 1 and 2. If you, or Brandon, are unable or unwilling to deal with 1 and 2, that will reflect itself in the ineffectiveness of your proposed "solutions". You will find them: lacking.

Thus, you can either work on your acceptance of the reality of 1 and 2, or, you can continue to deny reality. The choice is yours, but I guarantee that you will find legions of people smoking at the game this year, as always, regardless of whatever you say/do. Brandon needs to realize this, even if you can't, and understand: winning games is the best way to alleviate all of these problems.

I'm definitely with Biscuit on this one.

As for your "reality" statements, here's a counterpoint or two:

1) The revised fact is that now nobody is permitted to smoke within the stadium. Additionally, if the same 10s of thousands of people cannot attend a game without smoking, then they do not have to go. Nobody is forcing them to. As I said in the uber-long thread when the policy was first announced, when I was a pack-a-day smoker, I still didn't smoke at games. It just wasn't that big a deal to go 4 hours without a cigarette. Also, it definitely is an issue that's within everyone's scope of concern. Certain people are bothered by cigarette smoke, and it is undeniably a health issue, so I beg to differ with your assertion in that regard.

2) If this is the predominant mentality of the majority of fans, then the policy is absolutely necessary. The whole "spit in the face of authority just for the sake of it" sentiment is juvenile at best, destructive at worst, and--in my opinion--should be discouraged fervently.

Lastly, I would submit to you that it is the "legions" that need to work on their acceptance of the reality that if they smoke, they can (and likely will) be removed from the game. That's a fact. No offense intended here, just realize that thumping your chest with the "screw the man" rhetoric doesn't change that reality.

Winning games won't stop people from being self-destructive; they either will or they won't. The threat of losing the privelage (not right) to watch a live game, however, might encourage a change.

Smoking is not allowed in any stadium in the country, not just in the Ralph. Smoking is not allowed in any professional sports arena in the country. Smoking is not allowed in almost all public buildings in the country. Many if not most restaurants don't allow smoking. You can't smoke while riding on a public transit system.

If you want to smoke that is your prerogative. But do it where it is allowed. If you are so addicted to cigarettes then watch the games at home and smoke as much as you want to.

Brandon needs to realize this, even if you can't, and understand: winning games is the best way to alleviate all of these problems.

What does winning or losing have to do with one's desire to smoke or not? What it comes down to is you want to pick and choose the rules you want to follow and everyone else can simply go to hell.

1) The revised fact is that now nobody is permitted to smoke within the stadium. Additionally, if the same 10s of thousands of people cannot attend a game without smoking, then they do not have to go. Nobody is forcing them to. As I said in the uber-long thread when the policy was first announced, when I was a pack-a-day smoker, I still didn't smoke at games. It just wasn't that big a deal to go 4 hours without a cigarette. Also, it definitely is an issue that's within everyone's scope of concern. Certain people are bothered by cigarette smoke, and it is undeniably a health issue, so I beg to differ with your assertion in that regard.

2) If this is the predominant mentality of the majority of fans, then the policy is absolutely necessary. The whole "spit in the face of authority just for the sake of it" sentiment is juvenile at best, destructive at worst, and--in my opinion--should be discouraged fervently.

Lastly, I would submit to you that it is the "legions" that need to work on their acceptance of the reality that if they smoke, they can (and likely will) be removed from the game. That's a fact. No offense intended here, just realize that thumping your chest with the "screw the man" rhetoric doesn't change that reality.

Winning games won't stop people from being self-destructive; they either will or they won't. The threat of losing the privelage (not right) to watch a live game, however, might encourage a change.

I don't smoke but the tailgating restriction are very concerning. I have had season tickets for 12 years now & every year I get a little less motivated to actually go to the games. When we first started with tickets, we had 12 guys & our whole week revolved around the games. Years gone by & guys dropped. Some guys got sick of the losing, some guys got married & their wives gave them tough times about going & they just did not feel like having to deal with it & 2 of the guys moved away. We are down to 4 guys now. The games are not what they used but they are still fun & I still enjoy being out at the stadium. With the NFL Ticket & High Def TVs & such I am starting to question with all these restriction why I should even make an effort to go to the games anymore. Last year even with Season Tickets I only wnet into the stadium 3 times. 2 times I went to the tailgate & when it was 1 I had my wife pick me up & watched the games at home.

So if the Bills start winning people will stop smoking and drinking heavily? When I attended games during the winning seasons people drank and smoked a lot.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I smoked for years, quit, still occasionally light up when I am a little sauced. Have no problem with this policy. Everything you said here is not only intelligent but makes every point I would have made. The only thing I will add is that "our opinion" as he put it about others smoking is ANYTHING but irrelevant. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous and people shouldn't have to deal with it just because you (or I) want to put ourselves at risk. Nobody's rights are being attacked here. It is time for people to accept the reality of the situation and be prepared to get thrown out if they feel like they need to provoke authority just for the hell of it.

The gameday experience is mostly miserable and I, for one, applaud the Bills for trying to clean it up. If that means that the powers that be want to clean it up by banning smoking in the stadium and curtailing the frat-boy atmosphere, then I'm all for it. I had tix for years, but over the past 5 or so, my opinion is that the game-day experience had become far too much of a drunken loser-fest.

Flame me if you want, but Brandon is on the right path here. There is no God-given right to go to the Ralph, get hammered by 11:00 am, piss all over the place, rant against anyone (whether wearing Bills colors or the opponent's), get into fights, barf all over the concourses, and then rant on the internet about how the "Nazis" are taking away your fun . . . Puh-lease . . .

Oh, and then drive home hammered . . . .

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

The gameday experience is mostly miserable and I, for one, applaud the Bills for trying to clean it up. If that means that the powers that be want to clean it up by banning smoking in the stadium and curtailing the frat-boy atmosphere, then I'm all for it. I had tix for years, but over the past 5 or so, my opinion is that the game-day experience had become far too much of a drunken loser-fest.

Flame me if you want, but Brandon is on the right path here. There is no God-given right to go to the Ralph, get hammered by 11:00 am, piss all over the place, rant against anyone (whether wearing Bills colors or the opponent's), get into fights, barf all over the concourses, and then rant on the internet about how the "Nazis" are taking away your fun . . . Puh-lease . . .

Oh, and then drive home hammered . . . .

+100000...

Unfortunately, the good natured ribbing of opposing fans and the excessive drinking and fan behavior is ruined by those who take it too far, and in many cases can be dangerous and unsafe to others. also the violence that has gotten worse over the last decade at stadiums around the league is tarnishing the family atmosphere that the game wishes to cater to.

In 1997 a friend and I went to soldier field to witness the eventual 6-10 Bills lose to the 3-13 bears that day, and even with the 2 teams going nowhere that season, we barely made it out of the stadium that day. Rocks were thrown at us, and a group of about 40 very drunk and violent fans began surrounding us with a few Bears Fan loud mouths trying to incite a fight. We managed to get the mob closer to the streets where traffic police could be seen, and the crowd opened up enough for us to get to our car. If it weren't for the traffic police there is no doubt we would have been seriously injured.

In 2000 I witnessed similar behavior in Tampa with another group of Bills fans, and even with my group of friends wearing Bills jerseys, they seemed to not mess with us that day, but none the less, it was nearly a full blown riot.

These new rules are trying to eliminate this type of behavior, and since these incidents I simply don't care to go to any more away games, it's a waste of my money, and getting too dangerous.

We're not much better in Buffalo anymore, I have seen a Miami fan and his son endure some of the most vulgar behavior and a barrage of profanities that made me sick. It is always fun to partake in good fan ribbing and banter, but when the drunkards take it too far, it ruins it for everyone.

As far as the smoking goes I could give a rats ass that people can't smoke in the stadium seating area, the smoke ruins the game for me personally, but I do think there should be an area to go if you do smoke.

I would probably suggest more security, rather than goofy rules, but you can blame the @$$holes that take it too far.

I'm all for cleaning up the atmosphere at RWS and every other stadium in the NFL.

Unfortunately for smokers and drunk jackasses, the Bill of Rights and US Constitution doesn't have any specific provisions related to smoking and being a drunk jackass as a right of being a US citizen.

The way I see it, when you're on anybody's property but your own, you follow their rules. If you don't like it or can't possibly abide by them, stay home, smoke, drink, watch the game and get in fights with your neighbors in your own front yard just like we do here in Pennsylvania.

I'd wager that if the NFL banned both smoking and alcohol sales in stadiums, and alcohol at tailgating on team or public property for a year, attendance would either stay the same or go up.

I'm all for cleaning up the atmosphere at RWS and every other stadium in the NFL.

Unfortunately for smokers and drunk jackasses, the Bill of Rights and US Constitution doesn't have any specific provisions related to smoking and being a drunk jackass as a right of being a US citizen.

The way I see it, when you're on anybody's property but your own, you follow their rules. If you don't like it or can't possibly abide by them, stay home, smoke, drink, watch the game and get in fights with your neighbors in your own front yard just like we do here in Pennsylvania.

I'd wager that if the NFL banned both smoking and alcohol sales in stadiums, and alcohol at tailgating on team or public property for a year, attendance would either stay the same or go up.

A brilliant comment, and the bolded part made me laugh out loud! Thanks! :thumbsup:

I don't smoke so I could really care less about the restrictions on that. What does upset me though is being told where I have to park. My group has parked in the same spot in the corner of lot 2 for almost 30 years. Thanks, Russ.

Are you sure of this? Not one stadium in America has a designated smoking area? This would make RWS the very last stadium to do so. I rather doubt this.

I should have been more specific and less expansive in my claim. I don't know of a stadium used in the NFL that allows smoking. Some stadiums have restaurants in their stadium. I'm not referring to that type of setting. In the stadium portion of the facility I'm not aware of it being allowed. If there is such a place I will readily admit my mistake.

What does winning or losing have to do with one's desire to smoke or not? What it comes down to is you want to pick and choose the rules you want to follow and everyone else can simply go to hell.

This is an unfair comment imo. Many here are incensed by the changes wrt the lots, but in favor of the smoking ban. Are you going to take them to task as you did OC?

I have parked in Lot 1 for the last 17 years and am not affected by these changes. But, I sympathise with those who are. I think that they are being victimized, squeezed and villianized. Tailgates by themselves are not money producers. Brandon would much rather sell you a 12 dollar beer than have you enjoy one of your own.

Jmo, but I see a danger in a smug jackass like Brandon costing WNY their franchise. He is taking some of the fun out of the game day experience, and this means a lot to fans.

You see, this team sucks. And, I am talking long term. Yet fans like me still attend games for 17 consecutive years. It's great to get together with friends and have a beer in the lot. At the rate we are going, this will be a thing of the past.

Brandon should be fired for this mess, and his role in the way that the team is simply awful.