Do we really need Lee Evans?

Lee is a legit number 2 WR and Stevie is a legit number 1. They play off each other well and it showed when Stevie's play declined. Stevie and Lee both command attention and they both benefit from each other.

We can't get a pick in the top 3 rounds for Evans and a 4th or lower isn't worth the value that Evans brings as a guy who commands some attention on the outside.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been sort of out of the loop the last couple days...I know there are some folks here who want the Bills to get rid of Evans, but has there been speculation, nationally that he may be headed out of town? I would be pretty bummed if that happened...my favorite player on the team over the last 6 or 7 years...where is this coming from? Links?

I have been sort of out of the loop the last couple days...I know there are some folks here who want the Bills to get rid of Evans, but has there been speculation, nationally that he may be headed out of town? I would be pretty bummed if that happened...my favorite player on the team over the last 6 or 7 years...where is this coming from? Links?

Just catching up on NFL news right now.

Here's one, Buftex.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/report-cardinals-interested-in-lee-evans/

I can't understand why the Bills would consider trading Lee Evans. Consider the following:

1. His compensation for the next two years is not excessive compared to other wide receivers in the NFL with similar skills.

2. He is a great team guy and a good leader in the locker room.

3. He still has excellent speed (more speed than any other wide receiver on the roster).

4. We would not receive equivalent value in a trade (at best, probably a late round pick).

5. The Bills do not need to trade him for financial or cap reasons.

6. Our young receivers may have talent, but they are unproven. I seem to recall that Stevie's production dropped significantly after Evans got hurt late in the season. In addition, I am not sure if there is too much hype around Nelson, Roosevelt, Jones and Easley at this point.

Having said all this, I still have a feeling that Lee will not be a part of the opening day roster. I hope that I am wrong.

Well Lee is good but not great, doesn't fit the youth movement and we would get decent compensation so Sending him to a contender would be good for him and us.

If you can get a starting-quality offensive lineman, trade him. The sooner the better.

:thumbsup:

I think it's still a little too early to say that Stevie is a legitimate #1 receiver.

It would be stupid for the Bills to get rid of Evans. (Unless we could get a stud offensive lineman.)

Lee is a legit number 2 WR and Stevie is a legit number 1. They play off each other well and it showed when Stevie's play declined. Stevie and Lee both command attention and they both benefit from each other.

We can't get a pick in the top 3 rounds for Evans and a 4th or lower isn't worth the value that Evans brings as a guy who commands some attention on the outside.

I wouldn't mind trading evans for the simple fact he doesn't know what it is like to win. Hear me out on this. I compare this situation to aaron schobel last year. Evans is a decent talent all be it one dimensional, however we are stacked with good young wide receivers. We don't need all of are young players surrounded by guys such as kelsay and evans who don't know what it is like to be on a winning team. Thats my case and Im sticking to it.

On the topic of WR I think a suprise cut will be Roscoe Parrish. The emergence of nelson and roosevelt and the signing of brad smith to play a slash role along with an aging (29 not young for a speedster) parrish coming off of a major surgery is my rationale behind this. He is also fairly expensive for the role he plays in the offense.

Edited by Brian Billick

I wouldn't mind trading evans for the simple fact he doesn't know what it is like to win. Hear me out on this. I compare this situation to aaron schobel last year. Evans is a decent talent all be it one dimensional, however we are stacked with good young wide receivers. We don't need all of are young players surrounded by guys such as kelsay and evans who don't know what it is like to be on a winning team. Thats my case and Im sticking to it.

On the topic of WR I think a suprise cut will be Roscoe Parrish. The emergence of nelson and roosevelt and the signing of brad smith to play a slash role along with an aging (29 not young for a speedster) parrish coming off of a major surgery is my rationale behind this. He is also fairly expensive for the role he plays in the offense.

heard you out. but you are crazy if you think roscoe gets cut. he was on pace for an 800 yd season if im not mistaken.

lee is interesting. it be nice to see him win, for his sake, ala Eric Moulds. At the same time, we have no other burner on this roster to play outside. the likely scenario is Brad Smith eats into Roscoe, Nelso and Jones' playing time, though teh majority of snaps will probably bet at QB and ST for him.

moving Lee might not be the best thing, esp if stevie starts struggling this year. also - stevie isn't resigned yet, and losing lee gives his agent a ton more leverage in negotiations. I think thats highly unlikely to happen.

heard you out. but you are crazy if you think roscoe gets cut. he was on pace for an 800 yd season if im not mistaken.

lee is interesting. it be nice to see him win, for his sake, ala Eric Moulds. At the same time, we have no other burner on this roster to play outside. the likely scenario is Brad Smith eats into Roscoe, Nelso and Jones' playing time, though teh majority of snaps will probably bet at QB and ST for him.

moving Lee might not be the best thing, esp if stevie starts struggling this year. also - stevie isn't resigned yet, and losing lee gives his agent a ton more leverage in negotiations. I think thats highly unlikely to happen.

That is my prediction. "On pace" for 800 yards is not exactly setting the world on fire. I think the only way he stays is if evans does get traded.

I agree w/ both of your points. Ultimately I think we keep Evans (unless somehow we could get a 3rd rd pick for him or a nice OT). Bye bye Roscoe.

After one good season (in which he also led the NFL in percentage of dropped balls) he is a legit number 1? Evans is still more of a legit #1 than Johnson is, and if you don't believe me, see who gets the majority of double coverage and/or #1 coverage defensive backs on them during the game. The D-Coordinators know more football then both of us put together, so I will go with thier opinions.

That is my prediction. "On pace" for 800 yards is not exactly setting the world on fire. I think the only way he stays is if evans does get traded.

Gailey pretty clearly loves Parrish's game. He's not going anywhere.

If the Bills dump Evans, it'll indicate to me that they really don't know what they're doing. He's a starting-caliber NFL receiver. I mean, that's completely and utterly obvious.

Yes, we do still need Lee Evans. Just look at how Stevie's stats drop off when Lee wasn't on the field.

In the first 13 games with Lee, Stevie averaged 5.08 catches per game, 67.23 yards per game. (66 rec, 874 yds)

In the last 3 games without Lee, Stevie averaged 5.33 catches per game, 66.33 yards per game. (16 rec, 199 yds)

The most notable difference in Stevies performance when Lee was out, was the average td's a game.

With Lee .69 td/gm

Without Lee .33 td/gm

However, this drop in TD production may also be because Fitz wasn't throwing the Ball in the final game.

Without Fitz Stevie didn't have a TD in any of the 3 games (0%)

With Fitz Stevie got at least 1 TD in 7 of 13 games (53.8% of the games).

Those are just the stats and as always don't tell the whole story. Interpret them how you will. I DO think Lee has a valuable role in the offense and would be sad to see him go. He's been one of the better players for the Bills since he got here.

Gailey pretty clearly loves Parrish's game. He's not going anywhere.

If the Bills dump Evans, it'll indicate to me that they really don't know what they're doing. He's a starting-caliber NFL receiver. I mean, that's completely and utterly obvious.

Maybe Evans wants to go to Arizona.Fitzgerald gets doubled every down and still makes plays.Evans would benefit greatly and have legitimate playoff chance.

It hadn't been used since Reeds retirement. If memory serves me Lee had to call and ask for Reeds permission to use the number.

Reed is a nice guy.lol.You will never see #12 #78 or #34 again.

It hadn't been used since Reeds retirement. If memory serves me Lee had to call and ask for Reeds permission to use the number.

There was an article out with quotes from the equipment manager not that long ago. They didn't really "ask" Reed if Evans could use 83, but pretty much told him and he didn't have a problem with it. The NFL kinda frowns against retiring numbers, and with the Bills the only number actually retired is #12, altough 34, 32, 78 and a few others will probably never be used again except in training camp where those players normally won't be around come opening day anyway. If you put Evans on the other side of the line from Fitzgerald in Arizona, he would dwarf the numbers Johnson put up last year, and benefit from the other guy getting the double teams like Johnson did last year with Evans getting doubled up all the time.

Edited by billsfreak