Is there any actual evidence of Gailey's (gulp) genius.

#34fan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that this is a free country, I thoroughly understand the concept and practice of free speech. I also fully comprehend that this is a message board, and everyone is entitled to not only their opinion but the right to express it any way they want.

That said, anyone who couldn't see the difference in the Bills offense last year from previous years, should not be allowed to post here. ;)

Chan Gailey is an offensive coach. He is responsible for hiring his defensive coaches so Edwards is on Gailey's watch. The defense will need another year to find out whether they have improved or not, which they should, drastically this year.

How's Mike Shanahan doing?

PTR

I'm not defending Shanahan, but it's probably not fair to judge him by last season because he was stuck with danny snyder's "fantasy team" roster. This year will be a better gauge. That said, I hope he falls on his face.

I understand that this is a free country, I thoroughly understand the concept and practice of free speech. I also fully comprehend that this is a message board, and everyone is entitled to not only their opinion but the right to express it any way they want.

That said, anyone who couldn't see the difference in the Bills offense last year from previous years, should not be allowed to post here. ;)

Chan Gailey is an offensive coach. He is responsible for hiring his defensive coaches so Edwards is on Gailey's watch. The defense will need another year to find out whether they have improved or not, which they should, drastically this year.

So let me see if I got this straight... Freedom of speech is a great thing in your mind, so long as you agree with what they're saying? Now that I've spanked you, I must say I agree with your assessment of our beloved Bills, with the exception of the last few games. If Dareus lives up to his billing, & Barnett & Merriman are indeed healthy as being reported by Mike & others, you will see a different defense this year, especially with Wanny's expertise in the mix. I can't wait!

he took over a 7 win team and turned it into a 4 win team by changing the defensive structure to a 3-4 resulting in Schobel's retirement, failed to address gaping holes in the tackle positions, failed to get a quality tight end, over committed to a failing qb (TE) and produced little in the drafts to date to justify his administration.On the other hand he has made some quality pick ups in middle and later rounds (Byrd and Steve, for instance) and once he committed to Fitz provided some very good coaching in the latter part of last season.

If he gets nine wins this season I'd be happy if they kept him.

Considering that it is Buddy and not Chan that made those decisions I don't know how you can stack the bolded above on Chan...just saying!

I like what Chan has shown us w/ his offensive game planning and more importantly his halftime adjustments. Whether we improve and build off of this in the upcoming year remains to be seen but I am much more worried about the defensive side of the ball!

So let me see if I got this straight... Freedom of speech is a great thing in your mind, so long as you agree with what they're saying?

No, you did not get that straight. It has nothing to do with them believing me. If some form of human-like creature failed to see the difference in the Bills offense last year from previous years, I would be solely concerned for their mental stability -- the safety of their family, friends and neighbors -- and the ability of total strangers to walk freely in an open society while that organism was in the same vacinity.

This year is make or break for Gailey. Not saying the Bills have to make the playoffs or anything but he was given 2 drafts, 2 off-seasons, and a full regular season to guy, evaluate, and shape the team. There has to be a substantial improvement and development of the team. I think 7 or more wins with a lot of player development is a good measuring stick.

Adding 3 or more wins to this team is a good improvement that I think that this team could make with the talent it currently has.

What has Chan Gailey not accomplished in his coaching career that you would like to have seen him accomplish? Are we saying that only Super Bowl winners are worthy of admiration, praise, or anything other than cynicism and paranoia?

Chan made the team more fun to watch last year. When you're winning 4 games or 7 games, that's worth all the gold in Tut's tomb.

This year is make or break for Gailey. Not saying the Bills have to make the playoffs or anything but he was given 2 drafts, 2 off-seasons, and a full regular season to guy, evaluate, and shape the team. There has to be a substantial improvement and development of the team. I think 7 or more wins with a lot of player development is a good measuring stick.

Adding 3 or more wins to this team is a good improvement that I think that this team could make with the talent it currently has.

Why are we presuming that 2 drafts and 2 off-seasons is enough to turn any struggling team around? This essentially sounds like impatience.

God this board frustrates me sometimes. Do people forget we had a decade long period of drafting mistakes and an inability to keep our good players on the team? Who on this earth could ratify that in a year or two?

And for those who say our wins decreased last year so that means we have to be worse off. We gutted the team of high paid average players, or guys who weren't the type of players we wanted in the locker room and started over. Give em some freaking time already

he took over a 7 win team and turned it into a 4 win team by changing the defensive structure to a 3-4 resulting in Schobel's retirement, failed to address gaping holes in the tackle positions, failed to get a quality tight end, over committed to a failing qb (TE) and produced little in the drafts to date to justify his administration.On the other hand he has made some quality pick ups in middle and later rounds (Byrd and Steve, for instance) and once he committed to Fitz provided some very good coaching in the latter part of last season.

If he gets nine wins this season I'd be happy if they kept him.

Uh.....this is all on the COACH?

The change to the 3-4 and the commitment to TE I'll grant you.

But isn't addressing personnel on the GM?

Great posts here. I started this thread because I got sick of the baseless references to Chan as an "offensive genius" His patchwork history gives no indication of that. Sure he's a professional who's done well for himself, but that's it so far. No fireworks. Dallas knew it. Georgia Tech knew it. Kansas City found out the hard way. I'm all for giving someone a chance. But are perenial excuses, and lowered expectations the path to take with this coach? Chan must earn this "genius" mantle he's been given. I despise the Jets. I think Rex Ryan is an arrogant homunculus knuckle-dragger. Nevertheless, the standard he set for his franchise had that mediocre, rookie-led team believing they could win. -And win they did. He found a way to use his big, sweaty, ego to inspire these young men. Pull that off, Chan, and I'll be the first to eat my words. I'll apologize for ever doubting you.

Edited by #34fan

Chan has some cutting edge offensive ideas. The defense will be much better with Wannstedt. I'm not really going to be too harsh about the Edwards hiring since Chan was dealing with Ralph's budgetary constraints and Wannstedt wasn't available yet

Last year the Bills were a scrambled mess of runny eggs; this year they're beginning to firm up and are just about ready for the fold-over.

At this point I'll just be happy for them not to be ready for the bend-over...

I sure as heck haven't found any. I've seen a mediocre body of work accompanied by a bunch of firings. I think if Chan was an ice cream flavor, he'd be DOUBLE VANILLA. Granted, he's all we can afford right now but how does he get away with the "stay the course" mentality. -Help me out a little here.

The fact that you can't understand it is proof enough. :o

It's not about Gailey. It amazes me how Bills fans have become conditioned to lower their expectations. Folks pile on Jauron for allegedly drafting Maybin, and now we're yelling at Gailey for switching to a 3-4 and ignoring the tackle position.

You do realize that other teams have things called General Managers, right? I know it's almost a foreign concept with the Bills, but jeez loueeze. Yeah, fine, Jauron blew it with the Maybin pick. What kind of Mickey Mouse organization lets a lame duck head coach make its first round picks? I can think of two: Buffalo and Cincinnati.

Gailey openly questioned the quality of his roster yesterday - and, in my mind, the competence of his bosses - in remarking to the media that the Bills are thin at the tackle position. I took it as a cry for help/show of frustration. The poor man is working his tail off, and then he sees Bell limp off with yet another boo boo only to be replaced by Plan B, Wang the Turnstile, who promptly gets roasted on play after play. And the right side of the line is a circus of its own. I feel for the guy.

It's not Chan Gailey's fault the cupboard is bare.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Great posts here. I started this thread because I got sick of the baseless references to Chan as an "offensive genius" His patchwork history gives no indication of that. Sure he's a professional who's done well for himself, but that's it so far. No fireworks. Dallas knew it. Georgia Tech knew it. Kansas City found out the hard way. I'm all for giving someone a chance. But are perenial excuses, and lowered expectations the path to take with this coach? Chan must earn this "genius" mantle he's been given. I despise the Jets. I think Rex Ryan is an arrogant homunculus knuckle-dragger. Nevertheless, the standard he set for his franchise had that mediocre, rookie-led team believing they could win. -And win they did. He found a way to use his big, sweaty, ego to inspire these young men. Pull that off, Chan, and I'll be the first to eat my words. I'll apologize for ever doubting you.

all this, and you post this gem:

"Let's not question each other's fanhood. We all want the same thing. I'm just not buying into this "Gailey is a genius thing." -Not yet, anyway. Maybe if we start the season 3-1"

All this banter but if he wins 3 of the first 4 games you'll reconsider? Hardly a body of work.

"Let's not question each other's fanhood. We all want the same thing. I'm just not buying into this "Gailey is a genius thing." -Not yet, anyway. Maybe if we start the season 3-1"

All this banter but if he wins 3 of the first 4 games you'll reconsider? Hardly a body of work.

Darn Right. If we beat the Chiefs (or the Patriots), the Raiders, and the Bengals convincingly. I will sip this weird-flavored kool-aid everyone's drinking.

Yeah malaka