CJ Spiller: Expectations

I had a good friend asking me about what to expect from CJ Spiller from a fantasy football point of view and I was thinking, what should be expected? Bigger role in the running game? More catches out of the backfield...anyone have a feel for this?

Captain Foresight told me to expect alot more screens out of CJ and hopefully the potential to get the ball in space more often this year. he seemed to be picking it up a bit towards the end of the year.

As a fantasy player, I wouldnt touch him til late

As a reality player, I would take him first round. Go BILLS!

It would certainly be difficult to for CJ to be less involved than he was last year. I expect him to get more carries, and catch a lot of balls in the backfield as well as run some short routes. I anticipate Gailey will try to use him similar to Westbrook and Faulk (later in their respective careers) or Reggie Bush. Unless he can pick up the blitz he's effectively useless though.

The minute he checks into the game opposing defenses know its a running play, since he cannot pass block. Screens do not work with CJ for the very same reason. If CJ does not vastly improve his pass protection and ball security, it could be another long season on the sideline.

I am curious to see if Gailey will split CJ out wide like he did once last season, and Spiller did a few times in college. If I recall correctly, CJ moved from the backfield into the slot drawing the LB over into coverage, and then either went in motion to the sideline or the route was from slot to sideline and then straight downfield. CJ burned his man but the ball was over thrown. Either way, total mismatch.

Captain Foresight told me to expect alot more screens out of CJ and hopefully the potential to get the ball in space more often this year.

I hope my comment doesn't rub Captain Foreskin the wrong way, but I don't think you should be taking football advice from your penis.

Edited by Jauronimo

With Brad Smith he may have a reduced role on special teams. Will probably get more carries with Lynch gone but don't expect many yards given both the O-line and his small size limiting his effectiveness running between the tackles. He's like a poor man's version of Reggie Bush.

I think he will be a contributor for sure but not exactly a dynamic player.

30ish receptions for 400 yards

600ish yards on the ground

8 or 9 combined TD's

Freddie will get a bunch of carries on the ground that will keep CJ's numbers a little low. But he will be a factor in the offense and in the return game.

I am expecting much different results then most I guess......

What I saw last year was a RB that was starting to learn to run between the tackles at the end of the year.....he wasn't busting big runs but he was learning to be more patient and not try to cut everything to the outside on every play.....

I think Spiller is going to set his mark this year....if there was a award for Most outstanding "2nd year player" then I think his name is gonna get thrown in the hat.

I'd take a late flyer on him, probably after all of the other promising rookie RB's. Maybe 10th round or lower.

Unless FJ gets injured, a great year for him would be maybe 500-800 combined receiving/rushing yards and 3-5 TD's; that would be a great year.

Edited by JR In Ann Arbor

Judging by Chan's not-so-subtle comments, CJ's playing time will depend upon two things: blocking and holding on to the ball.

Translation: if CJ learns to chip effectively and doesn't fumble, he's going to be playing a lot.

I don't have any expectations about Spiller for this season. I have no clue what is going to happen with him. This is probably the single thing that interests me most about this season. Will Gailey figure out a way to use him effectively? Will Spiller get a clue about blocking and picking up the blitz? Will Spiller learn how to run north instead of just east/west? If all of these issues go the Bills way then the offense will have a much needed boost in production. If not, Spiller picks up splinters in his ass instead of yards and the offense is a repeat of last season. Time will tell.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I would really love for Chan to line him and Fred up in the back field more often and not put CJ in motion some this year. I am hoping there are more things to disguise when we are going to run the ball. Even the huddle speed was a give away sometimes (not to mention personnel) last year. I think it would help CJs effectiveness and why do people think he is too small? He isn't.

Didn't you say Captain Foreskin expects CJ to be used more in the passing game? I can only assume thats what you've named your member, and I question any predictions made by your genitals.

:lol:

Take your mind off of peckers for a moment and read his post again.

:lol:

Take your mind off of peckers for a moment and read his post again.

Ya... :blink::oops:

Didn't you say Captain Foreskin expects CJ to be used more in the passing game? I can only assume thats what you've named your member, and I question any predictions made by your genitals.

I question your ability to read.

That time of the month or something?

Ya... :blink::oops:

I question your ability to read.

That time of the month or something?

Or perhaps I gave the impression of having mis-read your initial post in order to set up a joke. Let's be serious, if I actually had questions about what you wrote, would't I just scroll up 3 inches and see for myself rather than ask? Not my finest work, but they can't all be gold, and they're never any good when you have to explain it.

As for the link between male-menstruation and declining reading comprehension, I'll have to take your word on that.

Edited by Jauronimo