Dareus listed at 343lbs?

My guess is that they put Jasper at just under 400 lbs. He's likely more.

In an article this morning, reporting from camp, Chuck Pollock said he's actually 20 pounds less than his listed weight, which would put him at 375. Last I heard him talk a few weeks ago, he said 385.

Looking at Buffalo’s enormous rookie nose tackle, Michael Jasper, it’s hard to believe he once weighed 65 pounds more than he does now. The Bills list him at 394 pounds, but he’s actually down about 20 from that figure.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think dareus will be a beast and will hopefully anchor our dl for his career, but I don't agree with the "he's gonna be as good, if not better than suh" statements. I hope he is, but Suh is one of those once in 20 years type players IMO. Maybe its because I'm a Nebraska fan, and wAtched a lot of his games. Maybe it's because I've only seen. 3 Alabama games over the last 3 years. Either way, we hopefully have a future all pro in dareus, I just disagree with the Suh comparisons. Yeah I saw the sports science video too

In an article this morning, reporting from camp, Chuck Pollock said he's actually 20 pounds less than his listed weight, which would put him at 375. Last I heard him talk a few weeks ago, he said 385.

Saw that. For the time being, I'll go with Chuck Pollock, who must have talked with someone who knows. And again, no one knows what Jasper's ideal playing weight is.

Why is it anyone makes a big deal about listed weight for these guys?? we all know by now that the listed weight is much lower then the actual weight... "listed" weights for lineman are all make believe

Good point in general. But regarding the bolded portion specifically, we're in trouble if Dareus is much higher than 343. That would mean he's eating himself out of the NFL. Hopefully the listed weight is incorrect in the other direction, and Dareus is still in the 310s or 320s.

Good point in general. But regarding the bolded portion specifically, we're in trouble if Dareus is much higher than 343. That would mean he's eating himself out of the NFL. Hopefully the listed weight is incorrect in the other direction, and Dareus is still in the 310s or 320s.

well i hate to burst any bubbles but Dareus is easily more then 343 just like Jasper is more then likely still tipping the scales at 450... does anyone honestly believe that big Ted Washington was only the 350 he was listed at? the man was 6'5 and had a keg attached to his torso. now i assume we all know by now that muscle weighs more then fat so your gonna tell me a guy like say Dareus who is 6'3 and has a good size gut himself is listed at anywhere from 319 to 343. now being a pro football player and judging by the size of his arms and upper body he obviously has alot of muscle. he is probably closer to 350-360 then he is to being 310-320... i say this all with confidence as i am a 28 year old man who is about 6' and i am 340 myself and not sloppy i was a wrestler and power lifter so i still have a very solid frame with a keg of my own for a stomach haha that all said, thats why i know without a doubt listed weight for lineman is greatly fabricated

post-15590-072795600 1312317140_thumb.jpg

well i hate to burst any bubbles but Dareus is easily more then 343 just like Jasper is more then likely still tipping the scales at 450... does anyone honestly believe that big Ted Washington was only the 350 he was listed at? the man was 6'5 and had a keg attached to his torso. now i assume we all know by now that muscle weighs more then fat so your gonna tell me a guy like say Dareus who is 6'3 and has a good size gut himself is listed at anywhere from 319 to 343. now being a pro football player and judging by the size of his arms and upper body he obviously has alot of muscle. he is probably closer to 350-360 then he is to being 310-320... i say this all with confidence as i am a 28 year old man who is about 6' and i am 340 myself and not sloppy i was a wrestler and power lifter so i still have a very solid frame with a keg of my own for a stomach haha that all said, thats why i know without a doubt listed weight for lineman is greatly fabricated

There is no way Dareus is more than 343# or Jasper is more than 394#. I'd even put money on it.

There is no way Dareus is more than 343# or Jasper is more than 394#. I'd even put money on it.

your allowed to believe what you want. i know damn well that if im 340 at barely 6 foot tall that someone at 6'3 with more muscle mass and a bigger gut than me is gonna weight more then 3lbs more and a man thats 6'5 and has the body of jasper is in the 400's but youll never have your proof to put money on it because you will never see a real weight from any of them

Saw that. For the time being, I'll go with Chuck Pollock, who must have talked with someone who knows. And again, no one knows what Jasper's ideal playing weight is.

Unless Chuck Pollack has a digital scale handy, he's simply guessing. Why would the Bills list him at 398 right now? If jasper is a good as many here say (and the Bills scouted him at over 425), then it is safe to say his ideal sustainable weight is over 400 lbs. Why is that a problem?

Unless Chuck Pollack has a digital scale handy, he's simply guessing. Why would the Bills list him at 398 right now? If jasper is a good as many here say (and the Bills scouted him at over 425), then it is safe to say his ideal sustainable weight is over 400 lbs. Why is that a problem?

That's not safe to say at all. The Bills told him if he got down under 400, they would consider him, which is what happened. That's what got him stoked about the Bills. Other teams were apparently telling him to go down to 320 or something he couldn't do. The 400 level was not a playing weight, it was just to see if he could do it and wanted to work at it.

Pollock is a good reporter. Maybe he did something crazy like asked Jasper, or the Bills trainers. He didn't say he "looked" 20 pounds lighter, he said he is.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I was willing to believe 394# (which is what it says in the training camp guide). Then Pollack says he's 20# less than that. I don't know why he'd say it if he didn't know something.

And like Kelly says, Pollack doesn't say "he looks," he says "is actually..."

You know that they actually weigh players on a scale at the combine, right? Unless the scale is rigged, Dareus weighed 319 actual lbs. at the combine. If he's "easily more than 343" right now, that's not being a big dude, that's getting himself fat.

You're right that a lot of linemen are listed too light (Mt. Ted & Pat Williams being 2 good examples), but if that's the case for Dareus, we should be concerned. Gaining well above 25 lbs. in 5 months is not indicative of the kind of discipline needed to be a success in the NFL.

Only problem with that picture - Dareus is BIGGER than Blaster, and Maybin is SMALLER than Master! :rolleyes:

You know that they actually weigh players on a scale at the combine, right? Unless the scale is rigged, Dareus weighed 319 actual lbs. at the combine. If he's "easily more than 343" right now, that's not being a big dude, that's getting himself fat.

You're right that a lot of linemen are listed too light (Mt. Ted & Pat Williams being 2 good examples), but if that's the case for Dareus, we should be concerned. Gaining well above 25 lbs. in 5 months is not indicative of the kind of discipline needed to be a success in the NFL.

Agreed. I don't think it's good for Dareus to be that heavy. Let's hope it's a typo.

And please - none of this "play him at NT" nonsense. That's what Troup and Jasper are for. It would be a complete waste of his athleticism to play Dareus at the nose.

Why is it anyone makes a big deal about listed weight for these guys?? we all know by now that the listed weight is much lower then the actual weight... "listed" weights for lineman are all make believe

Well I appreciate your opinion but I think you're guilty of making a sweeping generalization. I disagree with your first statement in bold… sometimes what you assert is the case and sometimes the opposite is the case.

Coaching staffs sometimes want to list one player as bigger than he is and another player as smaller than he is. If a player is undersized for his position, it's often the case that he's listed as bigger than he really is.

Kent Hull, Jim Ritcher, and Joe D. were all listed heavier than they actually were and this is a known fact. Sometimes listed weights are exaggerated in order to make it seem like a lineman is bigger than he is. No team wants fans/media/other teams to think that they have small linemen.

How much does Dareus weigh right now? I have no idea nor do I have any reason to doubt the 343 pounds that he's listed at.

I tried to imply the point in this thread and in an earlier thread on Maybin my theory that coaching staffs sometimes play with listed weights in order to fool people or send messages to players, or for other reasons.

Maybin is listed at 228 pounds. This to me, is like the Bills saying, "Okay, the scam is up… you're not trying hard enough to bulk up and we're not going to misrepresent your weight anymore," almost as if their last attempt to motivate him is to shame him.

Other players might have an accurate measurement.

Then you have someone like Torrell Troup who tweeted earlier this summer that he was up to 325 pounds but is still listed at 315. Maybe the Bills are downplaying his increase in dense muscle mass with the intention of misleading opponents? Just guessing.

Anyways, welcome to the board.

Well I appreciate your opinion but I think you're guilty of making a sweeping generalization. I disagree with your first statement in bold… sometimes what you assert is the case and sometimes the opposite is the case.

Coaching staffs sometimes want to list one player as bigger than he is and another player as smaller than he is. If a player is undersized for his position, it's often the case that he's listed as bigger than he really is.

Kent Hull, Jim Ritcher, and Joe D. were all listed heavier than they actually were and this is a known fact. Sometimes listed weights are exaggerated in order to make it seem like a lineman is bigger than he is. No team wants fans/media/other teams to think that they have small linemen.

How much does Dareus weigh right now? I have no idea nor do I have any reason to doubt the 343 pounds that he's listed at.

I tried to imply the point in this thread and in an earlier thread on Maybin my theory that coaching staffs sometimes play with listed weights in order to fool people or send messages to players, or for other reasons.

Maybin is listed at 228 pounds. This to me, is like the Bills saying, "Okay, the scam is up… you're not trying hard enough to bulk up and we're not going to misrepresent your weight anymore," almost as if their last attempt to motivate him is to shame him.

Other players might have an accurate measurement.

Then you have someone like Torrell Troup who tweeted earlier this summer that he was up to 325 pounds but is still listed at 315. Maybe the Bills are downplaying his increase in dense muscle mass with the intention of misleading opponents? Just guessing.

Anyways, welcome to the board.

thanks for the welcome.. with all of this stuff i use myself as the comparison against the weights of lineman. i know what my scale says(340) and i know the shape I'm in and how much muscle mass i have and all I'm saying is these guys are professional football players who obviously have more muscle mass(witch weighs more) and they are all taller then me so i have to logically believe that someone like Dareus is more then 3#s heavier then me when he is soo much bigger and stronger then me, and i guy like Jasper who makes me look like an ant is well over 400#s. but while i say all this i also think alot of people make too big of a deal about weight and being "too big" or "eating himself out of the league" these lineman are bigger then people think and play at high levels(some pro bowl levels) in the NFL there alot more guys on the lines that are close to or over 400#s and nobody knows because they are listed smaller and play so well so nobody questions it. players weights are only questioned when they aren't in shape and start to slow down or play bad, then they are fat and eating them selfs out of jobs

thanks for the welcome.. with all of this stuff i use myself as the comparison against the weights of lineman. i know what my scale says(340) and i know the shape I'm in and how much muscle mass i have and all I'm saying is these guys are professional football players who obviously have more muscle mass(witch weighs more) and they are all taller then me so i have to logically believe that someone like Dareus is more then 3#s heavier then me when he is soo much bigger and stronger then me, and i guy like Jasper who makes me look like an ant is well over 400#s. but while i say all this i also think alot of people make too big of a deal about weight and being "too big" or "eating himself out of the league" these lineman are bigger then people think and play at high levels(some pro bowl levels) in the NFL there alot more guys on the lines that are close to or over 400#s and nobody knows because they are listed smaller and play so well so nobody questions it. players weights are only questioned when they aren't in shape and start to slow down or play bad, then they are fat and eating them selfs out of jobs

Totally agree, billsnutt.

I was gonna make similar points but I try to keep my posts short.

Yes you're completely right… player weights are irrelevant until which point a player's performance is deemed below his capabilities. At that point anything is fair game and we like to speculate (and sometimes are even correct) that a player is not playing at his ideal weight.

Totally agree, billsnutt.

I was gonna make similar points but I try to keep my posts short.

Yes you're completely right… player weights are irrelevant until which point a player's performance is deemed below his capabilities. At that point anything is fair game and we like to speculate (and sometimes are even correct) that a player is not playing at his ideal weight.

yupp "ideal" playing weight is 9 times out of 10 blown way out of proportion

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember where I saw it, but in a recent interview, Dareus said that he thought the Bills wanted him to play NT, so he bulked up for it. Now that he knows they want him to play DE, he's plans on losing 10#.