Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

1. Dick did not cut Walker. He tried him at LT when the front office failed to provide any other alternatives. (Compounding the problem with the no huddle was all on Dick) It was Overdorf who cut Walker to save the money without even notifying the coaching staff.

Actually, there were rumors swirling around at the time that the Bills were trying to trade Walker. They ended up cutting him because they grossly misevaluated his abilities and value on the market. (Not that the coaches or scouting department would have anything to do with that or that John Guy was a tool.)

Dick was big on the idea that he wanted players that "wanted to be here". Walker didn't want to play LT and it showed in training camp and pre-season. I don't think Jauron was standing in the way of showing Langston the exit.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very curious to see what Maybin does on Saturday. He is one of the young players who suddenly seems to be getting it. He is quietly stringing together good practices where he gets multiple QB pressures and would be sacks. If he can become a strong 3rd down/ Pass rush linebacker the linebacking core is suddenly becoming a strength on this team. Davis has looked solid, Merrimen looks very good, Kelsey has been good (I shuttered at the thought of saying that but its true..) Barnett is all over the field in practice and looks to be every bit the playmaker that Poz is. I think we might be on to something but I also think Maybin still might be able to shed the "BUST" status. I am curious to see how he performs on Saturday in "live" action. Thoughts anyone..

I watched the video from last night and saw the clip of Maybin coming off the edge for a "sack" -- I don't know what to think about all of this. I guess it is good the preseason games are starting this weekend. I've accepted it as a foregone conclusion he'll be cut, but I've been wrong before...

That would be very nice. However, I caution anyone against evaluating Maybin's play based on pre-season. I remember thinking highly of him in each of the last 2 pre-seasons, only to discover he was lost when the real games started.

I distinctly recall him blowing by Lions' LT Jeff Backus for a sack-fumble in his only pre-season start as a rookie, followed by him looking like the team's best pass rusher in 2 of their 4 pre-season games last year...well, we know how that turned out.

Not that it wouldn't be nice to see him make an impact Saturday; it would. I just think we'd learn more about his improvement if we could see him in practice on a daily basis than we will from watching him in the pre-season.

Just my 1 cent...

I am very curious to see what Maybin does on Saturday. He is one of the young players who suddenly seems to be getting it. He is quietly stringing together good practices where he gets multiple QB pressures and would be sacks. If he can become a strong 3rd down/ Pass rush linebacker the linebacking core is suddenly becoming a strength on this team. Davis has looked solid, Merrimen looks very good, Kelsey has been good (I shuttered at the thought of saying that but its true..) Barnett is all over the field in practice and looks to be every bit the playmaker that Poz is. I think we might be on to something but I also think Maybin still might be able to shed the "BUST" status. I am curious to see how he performs on Saturday in "live" action. Thoughts anyone..

Barnett is all over the field in practice and looks to be every bit the playmaker that Poz is.

So when did Poz every make a play? This is a joke...

Anything positive he does from this point on is what I have been using to evaluate him as a player. Since all lofty expectations have been lifted, I would be very pleased to see him develop into a solid line backer that can flash some brilliance from time to time. He can only get better at this point, but the real question is will he make the team now, or is it too late...

That would be very nice. However, I caution anyone against evaluating Maybin's play based on pre-season. I remember thinking highly of him in each of the last 2 pre-seasons, only to discover he was lost when the real games started.

I distinctly recall him blowing by Lions' LT Jeff Backus for a sack-fumble in his only pre-season start as a rookie, followed by him looking like the team's best pass rusher in 2 of their 4 pre-season games last year...well, we know how that turned out.

Not that it wouldn't be nice to see him make an impact Saturday; it would. I just think we'd learn more about his improvement if we could see him in practice on a daily basis than we will from watching him in the pre-season.

Just my 1 cent...

Yup. I thought he looked pretty "good" this time last year to0. I didn't look up the stats, but if I'm not mistaken he had several sacks, and more QB pressures during the preseason games last year. Playing against 3rd and 4th stringers will certainly make you look improved...

So when did Poz every make a play? This is a joke...

I was kind of thinking this myself...Poz made one kind of play, tackling the running backs after a 5-15 yard gain right up the middle (kind of explains his high tackle numbers last year).

Barnett is a completely different player, this guy has real speed at the position. I like Poz, he was a good tackler when he got to someone, but he is flat out SLOW. Barnett also has years of experience in a good 3-4 defense, and good football instincts. It is insane (but great for the Bills) that he is making half of what Poz is now...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

What he said....

On the other hand, I've thought part of Maybin's problem was not being coachable, thinking he should "do his thing". Maybe Merriman talked some sense into him.

I still don't see how he has the size (weight/strength) to be productive in the NFL. If he'd have come into camp at 250 instead of coming in at 228 looking like a wide receiver, I'd feel better for his chances.

I just don't see it -- watched him on EVERY play he was in last year and not once did it appear he was even close to "getting it" -- looked awkward, out of place, no football instinct -- and maybe worst of all OVER MATCHED physically ---

He's told to add strength and he reports to camp SMALLER

Cut his a$$ -- let's end this nigthmare

I don't know if anyone else caught this on Sirius this morning, but Ross Tucker was discussing Maybin with a caller from Baltimore. He said that Aaron's 2011 salary is in the range of $750k- all of which might be guaranteed- and that there wouldn't be a big savings if the Bills cut him. Ross added that Maybin's getting reps as a backup so he may be valuable as an inexpensive (if not ineffective) backup at OLB. Ross mentioned just before that- to the same caller's question- that he watched Maybin in practice last night and he didn't have any positive words about him.

I just don't see it -- watched him on EVERY play he was in last year and not once did it appear he was even close to "getting it" -- looked awkward, out of place, no football instinct -- and maybe worst of all OVER MATCHED physically ---

You watched him on every play last year? What was that-- 5 plays? :D

I watched Maybin at practice last night too. I saw a guy getting blown up by Ed Wang and Mansfield Wrotto. I saw a guy who thinks making a play in piling onto a tackle that has been made by someone else. I saw a guy who has only one cheerleader (himself). I saw a guy who will be looking for work in about a month. Even if his salary is low and there is not much saving financially, the Bills would be crazy to keep him and release some other young OLB who actually has potential. Maybe just plain and simple is not worth a roster spot.