Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

How about Orakpo, Oher, and Levitre?

It coulda happened if the Bills traded for the Eagles 1st 1st rounder instead of requesting their second 1st and a 6th the next year (or whatever it was). Idiots.

PS: I will never believe that DJ was the heart and soul behind the Maybin pick. It just does not logically make any sense whatsoever. You are really looking through Bills colored glasses if you believe that BS coming from the Bills propaganda machine.

The Bills were as close as you can be to firing Dickie at the end of 2008. That's when the Inner circle [jerk] met and decided, after much deliberation, they would keep him (to the disgust of all fans). Fast forward 4 short months, and the same inner circle [jerk] decides to let the coach they almost fired draft a player that no one else wants, and the entire scouting staff thinks is going to suck….. O yea…. That's believable….

With no GM and the President living in Detroit and / or oblivious to what the defacto GM was doing. Jauron managed to cut the starting RT Langston Walker and then went on to fire his offensive coordinator two weeks before the season started his last year. Not the workings of a "normal" head coach. If he was just hanging onto his job with no authority then how does he make those moves?

So, With Maybin as the first pick, then Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, Harris, Harris,Langster all following. I think Jauron had a hand in drafting all those players. In Maybin he must have pictured another elite pass rushing LB like DeMarcus Ware (6'4'' 262lbs) Remember the line ''You can't teach speed" The franchise has a decade of making the wrong decisions on draft day. Look at John McCargo, why is that guy still on the roster? Jauron and Modrak are gone, lets hope things have changed at OBD

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the argument is that Buddy kept Maybin around because he thought some other GM would offer to take Maybin's contract off his hands?? That's insane! Is it possible that Nix could believe this??

So you're saying after only 2 years, the Bills should have cut Maybin already and take the big hits on his salary and also against the salary cap? You're completely missing the point. Maybin was drafted only 2 years ago in 2009 at #11, so with the amount of money invested in him at the #11 spot, the Bills have been trying to see if he will become the player that the Bills FO hoped he would be at the time they drafted him. Two years in the league is not a long time for a player to develop. But I guess you're saying that the Bills shouldn't try and trade him and just eat the money they already wasted on him, plus eat the remainder of his contract and take the big hit against the salary cap...yeah, that makes perfect sense?! :censored:

Patience is wearing thin with Nix & Gailey, because Maybin hasn't shown a glimmer of hope that he will turn into the type of player that warranted the #11 pick, but they also realize how much money was already put into Maybin and how much he'll cost if they just cut him. If the Bills FO trade him, for any draft pick (or player), then that team assumes Maybin's salary and the Bills won't have the big hit against the salary cap. Is this starting to make any kind of sense at all to you?

Dick Jauron was the worst thing to EVER happen to the Bills.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Jerry Jabber

That's what I have been saying! The guy is dumb as a post. Being the least intelligent person on a professional football team is saying something, too. Anyone have access to this guy's wonderlic score?

You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a good football player, but you have to have some basic level of cognitive functioning. All other things being equal, the smarter player will be the better player. I think Maybin is just too dumb to be a successful football player.

This could explain the drafting of Spiller.

With no GM and the President living in Detroit and / or oblivious to what the defacto GM was doing. Jauron managed to cut the starting RT Langston Walker and then went on to fire his offensive coordinator two weeks before the season started his last year. Not the workings of a "normal" head coach. If he was just hanging onto his job with no authority then how does he make those moves?

I think Jauron had a hand in drafting all those players.

Excellent points.

Thoner made some good points too about trying to reconcile Jauron's tenuous standing with the argument that he was somehow able to retain final say in personnel decisions… even at the end.

But I think you're right… that in spite of Jauron coming close to losing his job, he ultimately kept his influence and as Cynical characterized it, was given the latitude to swim or sink by his own decisions.

I think the reason for all of this dysfunctionality is that Russ Brandon was the GM.

Not only didn't Jauron have good football people around him to bring the organizational expertise to a respectable level, but the Bills also did not have a system of checks and balances.

As milquetoast as Jauron seemed, Brandon was not in a position of being able to check him because he had no background in football.

This is all opinion of course but it seems real plausible to me when you look at it from the perspective of who the team's inner circle was.

At first I was angry at how much of a bust Maybin has been. Now, I just feel sorry for him. I want him to be an emaciated, undersized version of Darryl Talley. I want him to succeed. I want there to be a silver lining in the Jauron era. GO BILLS!

to borrow from 'benderbender's' signature line.......the Bills sure did "draft a Whitner" when they drafted Maybin.

So you're saying after only 2 years, the Bills should have cut Maybin already and take the big hits on his salary and also against the salary cap? You're completely missing the point. Maybin was drafted only 2 years ago in 2009 at #11, so with the amount of money invested in him at the #11 spot, the Bills have been trying to see if he will become the player that the Bills FO hoped he would be at the time they drafted him. Two years in the league is not a long time for a player to develop. But I guess you're saying that the Bills shouldn't try and trade him and just eat the money they already wasted on him, plus eat the remainder of his contract and take the big hit against the salary cap...yeah, that makes perfect sense?! :censored:

Patience is wearing thin with Nix & Gailey, because Maybin hasn't shown a glimmer of hope that he will turn into the type of player that warranted the #11 pick, but they also realize how much money was already put into Maybin and how much he'll cost if they just cut him. If the Bills FO trade him, for any draft pick (or player), then that team assumes Maybin's salary and the Bills won't have the big hit against the salary cap. Is this starting to make any kind of sense at all to you?

I realize that the part of your post that I bolded above is based on what Joe Buscaglia wrote at the web site you linked. There is reason to believe, however, that Buscaglia might be wrong about the effect of trading Maybin on the Bills salary cap. The information below is based on the 2006 CBA, so it is always possible that the rules have changed under the 2011 CBA. But FWIW:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Question 1.12

What happens if a player is traded or retires?

Answer: We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above).

In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus."

If Maybin gets traded, I think his new team would be responsible for any future non-guaranteed salary he is paid, even if that salary is paid at a rate determined by the remainder of his pre-existing contract with the Bills. But the Bills were the ones who paid him the upfront signing bonus, and the Bills will have to eat the remaining $9 million cap hit even if he gets traded.

As far as I know, if the Bills pay an upfront signing bonus to any player, 100% of that signing bonus must eventually be charged against the Bills' cap. If the player gets cut or traded before his contract expires, the salary cap hit gets accelerated.

So for Maybin, the question is WHEN you want to take the $9 million salary cap hit, not IF you want to take the $9 million hit.

Again, the 2011 CBA could have changed the salary cap rules about this, but it seems logical that the team that forks over the actual cash is the one that must, sooner or later, count that cash against its own salary cap. My guess is that the 2011 CBA did not change that philosophy, but I suppose it's possible.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

At first I was angry at how much of a bust Maybin has been. Now, I just feel sorry for him. I want him to be an emaciated, undersized version of Darryl Talley. I want him to succeed. I want there to be a silver lining in the Jauron era. GO BILLS!

There is, his name is Kyle Williams :D

As much as everyone can't stand Whitner, I just don't get it. It wasn't his fault that Jauron drafted for need, a safety that early in the first round... in reality he graded by other teams to be a late 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Like Donte Whitner, even Mike Williams of the Donahoe era started and played RT for the Bills for a few years, he may have been mediocre, but at least he was a starter. Both Maybin and McCargo have set a all time low for Buffalo Bills bad draft choices IMO

Aaron Maybin, 1st year-2010 -11 games 1 game start -6 tackles -4 solo -2 assists-0 sacks 2nd year- 16 games 0 game starts- 18 tackles 11 solo 7 assists 0 sacks

So a guy drafted with the Bills first pick in 2009 with the 11th pick overall, and was drafted primarily to rush the passer- 2 years 24 tackles 0 sacks

John McCargo, 2006 draft, 2nd Bills pick in the first round, the #26 player taken. 47 games- 5 years- ONE GAME START- 32 tackles- 15 assist- 2.5 sacks

So between Maybin & McCargo, 7 years playing, and combined 2 game starts....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, we all get the bolded part. It's clear why they are lamely shopping him at this time. However, it is impossible to conceive of a GM would would be foolish enough to help the Bills out financially in this way--and it would be considered charity because everyone expects the Bills are going to cut the kid anyway. So for Nix to hold onto him in the belief that this dream will come true is just silly--I've said it twice now.

Maybin got his 2 seasons and was a disaster. He could have been released after last season and the end result owuld have been exactly the same as what will inevitably happen in the next few weeks (Allah be willing).

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/8/2350980/aaron-maybin-trade-rumors-buffalo-bills

This should come as no surprise, the Bills are trying to trade Maybin. Thanks Dickie J for drafting a bust at #11, instead of drafting an impact player (like Orakpo)that would have been on the team for many of years. Instead, the Bills will either get a late round pick (5th thru 7th, with 5th being generous) or will cut Maybin if there are no suitors. What a waste of another top draft pick (not that we didn't know this already).

Ill take a Violas Steak n Cheese and a large Coke : )

So he's not big, not strong, not tough, not fast, and now we have conformation that he is not smart as well? Sounds like the perfect player!

What team wouldn't try to trade for him?

The Raiders. Straight up for Seymour. Al loves speed. They might even throw in a 3rd.

So, With Maybin as the first pick, then Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, Harris, Harris,Langster all following. I think Jauron had a hand in drafting all those players. In Maybin he must have pictured another elite pass rushing LB like DeMarcus Ware (6'4'' 262lbs) Remember the line ''You can't teach speed" The franchise has a decade of making the wrong decisions on draft day. Look at John McCargo, why is that guy still on the roster? Jauron and Modrak are gone, lets hope things have changed at OBD

I'm no fan of Dick as a coach - but he sure has become the scapegoat for the screwups of the entire Bills Inner Circle Jerk.

1. Dick did not cut Walker. He tried him at LT when the front office failed to provide any other alternatives. (Compounding the problem with the no huddle was all on Dick) It was Overdorf who cut Walker to save the money without even notifying the coaching staff.

2. The Bills have been pure genius at keeping a huge cloud over their draft selection process. Nobody takes credit for any pick and nobody is held accountable for any failure to "build thru the draft" successfully. It also allows them to scapegoat whoever is no longer on the team (such as Dick).

Fans are being complete tools to believe the propaganda that Dick made all of the bad picks when Ralph personally brought in Nix to vet the picks 2 years ago. For the Bills to have selected Maybin without Nix's approval is unfathomable. Especially when Dick had just escaped being fired a few short months before the draft.

I'm no fan of Dick as a coach - but he sure has become the scapegoat for the screwups of the entire Bills Inner Circle Jerk.

1. Dick did not cut Walker. He tried him at LT when the front office failed to provide any other alternatives. (Compounding the problem with the no huddle was all on Dick) It was Overdorf who cut Walker to save the money without even notifying the coaching staff.

By deciding to go with a no huddle offense, and putting Walker at LT for it, Dick is responsible for Walker. It was an atrocious move and it was obvious that it was atrocious before the disaster actually occurred. Walker could not move fast enough to play LT for an entire season in a normal offense, despite a few games of mediocrity he played that position the previous year. To put him in a position to have to run after the play and catch up so he could make the next play in a hurry up offense was just absurd, if not criminally stupid. Jauron was responsible for it, so he should get the blame. if you don't have a player to play a position, like LT, you don't play that kind of offense. It's the equivalent of playing Roscoe Parrish at LT. Well, almost. ;)