Can Kyle Williams play End?

Hypothetically, what if a longshot like Jasper pans out? I've seen some Wallers mention the DL Dareus-Jasper-Williams. If you assume the ridiculous for a moment, that Jasper (edit: or Troup) will own the NT spot as soon as this season (edit: or next), it seems like a good way to get what would be our three best linemen on the field. Williams is the right size for a 34 DE.

But as far as I know Kyle Williams has only ever played defensive tackle. Sometimes these position changes don't go the way teams and fans expect. That said, what would we expect?

A scenario that may well never be relevant but what the hey! Can't wait for opening day, go Bills!

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I think it's highly unlikely that Michael Jasper pans out this year. In the future, you never know. I expect that we'll see KW and TT share the nose duties this year. As for if Kyle could play end... yes. He's an animal.

Probably, yes. First he was thought to not be big or good enough to play DT in a 4-3 and he proved a lot of people, including myself, wrong. Then he was thought to not be able to play NT in a 4-3 and he proved a lot of people wrong by having his best season, although much of his best play came in the 4-3. And he does not do the thing that most coaches want a NT to do, which is plug up the middle. He disrupts the middle.. He's getting better every year, and no one seems to be able to block him for very long, so he could likely do that at end in the 3-4. He's just a good player and getting very good. he should be even better next to Dareus.

I agree. KW is enough of an athlete and explosI've enough to play DE. if it turns out that Marcell Dareus, Torell Troupe, and KW end up being our best lineman it's important to have the tying up as many blockers as possible.

That's something I've been wondering myself. Troup in terms of size is much better off playing NT than Williams. I'm sure he'd do okay against the run in the 3-4 at DE (which is a 3-4 DE's primary job) but I'm sure whether they'd ever do that because of his stockiness.

I think it's highly unlikely that Michael Jasper pans out this year. In the future, you never know. I expect that we'll see KW and TT share the nose duties this year. As for if Kyle could play end... yes. He's an animal.

To hear the "experts" talk they say his arms are too short and he doesn't have the range to contain. I, for one, would like to see him try it out. He's a stud and a guy who gets it done.

Tonight at camp, Dareus and Williams were switching back and forth almost everty other play between being the "NT" and the left "DE".

Interesting. And I think it could be a good idea. The OL on the opponent would have to prepare for both guys instead of just one, and they are different kinds of players.

I expect we will use the 4/3 hybred thing and have a plan to have Carrinton and Williams rotate when they don't like last year. Honestly, if we can keep Kelsy out of the OLB spot he does play decent 4/3 end but has always had problems with contain, he does rack up hurries but never was a sacker. Don't know how that will work out with Dareus and if Moats moves outside. They have a lot of combinations they can and will use, god! I hope the Stash can help Edwards figure it out this year. I also think A.Davis and Edwards are good players that will do better things this year. I am excited about some of our starters this year but worry about injuries, we still don't have the kind of depth that we should. This stuff takes time.....

Hypothetically, what if a longshot like Jasper pans out? I've seen some Wallers mention the DL Dareus-Jasper-Williams. If you assume the ridiculous for a moment, that Jasper (edit: or Troup) will own the NT spot as soon as this season (edit: or next), it seems like a good way to get what would be our three best linemen on the field. Williams is the right size for a 34 DE.

But as far as I know Kyle Williams has only ever played defensive tackle. Sometimes these position changes don't go the way teams and fans expect. That said, what would we expect?

A scenario that may well never be relevant but what the hey! Can't wait for opening day, go Bills!

By now, I think that we can all agree that Kyle can play anywhere on the line. That being said, it makes it even more advantageous to keep moving him around in all of our fronts. If they chose to move Dareus and Williams around on a regular basis then I think our D will be better for it.

Williams would make a better end than NT because his quickness would be better utilized on the outside.

DE Dareus

NT Troupe

DE Williams

Then by next year Jasper takes over, just no way you can tell this kid " shove the centers head up his a$$" and he cant to do it, so one way or another Jasper will be our NT of the future, the next Ted Washington mark it down.

Williams would make a better end than NT because his quickness would be better utilized on the outside.

DE Dareus

NT Troupe

DE Williams

Then by next year Jasper takes over, just no way you can tell this kid " shove the centers head up his a$$" and he cant to do it, so one way or another Jasper will be our NT of the future, the next Ted Washington mark it down.

Do you honestly think Williams can be someone counted on to set the end and the rush the passer in a 3-4. Lots more space out there on the edge.

DE Dareus

NT Troupe

DE Williams

Funny how watching someone in combine type videos + measureables = the next Ted Washington. Could be be? Sure, but "mark it down"? Lol, funny how people wanna say "I told you so" and "you heard it here first". Geez

I might be the only Bills fan on here who thinks this way, but, if the Bills really want to move to a 3-4 defense permanently, and not go back and forth with the hybrid style, then Williams looks like a potential trade candidate in a year or two. I think he's the exact player to represent the Bills, but, when you look at pure 3-4 bodies/talent, I think people overlook Carrington - he's a big, fast, powerful dude who is going to cement himself as a 3-4 end (and who, I think, is fast enough to play 4-3 end in hybrid, as well). Now, we could see Carrington, Williams, Dareus. But, I think Williams true position on a football field, the position where he is most able to succeed, is as a 4-3 DT. Chances are one of the other NT's we have will be better able to simply clog up the middle. Of course, the coaches might prefer, for the next 4 years, to rely on the similarity of Williams and Dareus in order to switch from NT to DE, and go with a more penetrating 3-4 style, like Dallas was doing.

I'll post this link again because I think it's one of the best pure football articles Ive ever read. It also shows a handful of ways Williams can be used all over the line, and as a 3-4 DE...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

Hybrid Bullough-Fairbanks 3-4 Defense with Gap Shooting Weak-side End

This defensive formation looks exactly like the base defense - except that on the snap, Williams penetrates into the weak-side B gap. This defense would stress the offense in a couple ways. Williams would have to be blocked while penetrating; not an easy task. If the left guard blocks Williams, that eliminates any double team that Troup might see from the weak-side, which itself could stop an offense from executing any weak-side runs. If the tackle blocks Williams, it leaves a running back to block Merriman, a clear mismatch. Don't forget that behind the line, Paul Posluszny would remain unblocked and free to take on the fullback in the hole, or flow directly to the running back.