Gaither Available - Not Cleared by Raiders Drs.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not offer him a 4 yr. deal that goes like this....

Yr.1 - 2 million + 2.5 million if he plays 88%+ of O snaps

Yr.2 - 2 million + 2.5 million if he plays 88%+ of O snaps

Yr.3 - 3 million + 2.5 million if he plays 88%+ of O snaps

Yr.4 - 3 million + 2.5 million if he plays 88%+ of O snaps

So he could make up to 20 million if he stays healty.

Wouldn't that be a smart deal for both sides????

anyone?

I mean we would lose 2 mill a yr. if he can't play and I am sure if he miss most in his first 2 yrs we'd cut him. If he does come back we get a top notch OT for around 5 mill a yr. I don't see how we dont bring him in a do a deal like this wee need a OT bad and Gaither when healty is a very good one. We are what 25 mill under the cap? Take a 2 mill gamble on him.

anyone?

I mean we would lose 2 mill a yr. if he can't play and I am sure if he miss most in his first 2 yrs we'd cut him. If he does come back we get a top notch OT for around 5 mill a yr. I don't see how we dont bring him in a do a deal like this wee need a OT bad and Gaither when healty is a very good one. We are what 25 mill under the cap? Take a 2 mill gamble on him.

Back problems tend to take time to heal. If he's failed a physical this close to the start of the season, you have to assume he'll spend year 1 of any given contract on injured reserve.

That shouldn't necessarily stop the Bills from signing Gaither, any more than injury problems stopped them from signing Merriman. If the Bills' medical experts feel that Gaither can return to the field in 2012, they should consider signing him to a deal similar to the one you suggested. Except that the first year of the deal should only pay $1 million. There's no sense in paying more than that for a player to inhabit injured reserve for a year. Years 2 - 4 of the deal should include a significant salary increase, with the understanding that the Bills will release him if his back problems don't improve.

Warren is visiting the Broncos tonite.

Sounds romantic. What will the Broncos be wearing, I wonder.

Great. Now Nix an Co. are going to overpay for damaged goods.

I am SO fu*kin' done with this team.

GO BILLS!!!

Bye.

It's called sarcasm.

But thanks for the heads up.

GO BILLS!!!

No barking you dogs!!!

conditioning wouldnt void it. it means its the physical, and likely the back problem that has plagued him. bad back on a big man is likely to get worse, not better.

Yeah he's 6'9" so except for Jonathan Ogden, that's taller than the ideal OT. Seems like it would kinda hard to play low with leverage at that height and I'd be concerned that the back is chronic. Plus his attitude going back to college has always been questioned and his losing weight last year was attributed to not spending time in the weight room.

Do NOT want Gaither.

anyone?

I mean we would lose 2 mill a yr. if he can't play and I am sure if he miss most in his first 2 yrs we'd cut him. If he does come back we get a top notch OT for around 5 mill a yr. I don't see how we dont bring him in a do a deal like this wee need a OT bad and Gaither when healty is a very good one. We are what 25 mill under the cap?

Take a 2 mill gamble on him.

He was dressed in silver and black watching the Raiders practice. I think he needs to try a different approach if he wants a team to take a chance on him.

Perhaps a twitter campaign or something like

Some of you need to (re)acquaint yourselves with Promo the Robot's epic thread from a few days ago. You'd know exactly where I was coming from.

GO BILLS!!!

What's sad is that people can't pickup on it being obvious, obvious sarcasm

What's sad is that people can't pickup on it being obvious, obvious sarcasm

No worries Jeremy. I can certainly understand some posters may not be familiar with my style. Sometimes words in two-dimensional black and white don't convey sarcasm very well. Glad you got it though.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some "bitchin' about Buddy" to do.

GO BILLS!!!

No worries Jeremy. I can certainly understand some posters may not be familiar with my style. Sometimes words in two-dimensional black and white don't convey sarcasm very well. Glad you got it though.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some "bitchin' about Buddy" to do.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it's a statement on this board that it could have been a completely legitimate post.

Well if he's not good enough/healthy enough to play for the Raiders, why would we waste a roster spot on him?

He'd be the John McCargo of the Offensive Line.

Didn't we sign Edwards last year after he failed a physical for another team?

Didn't the Ravens doctors fail Dwan Edwards for his neck injury but ours cleared him? He ended up playing 11 games and had some decent production.

Not saying this is the sime situation, but if this brings his value down low enough that it's worth a gamble, I say do it because our OL could use a little beefing up.

FWIW, Peter King sees Buffalo as Gaither's best fit.

The guys had a terrible back injury (one of the worst injuries you can have), is known as a slacker, and couldn't get cleared by probably the shadiest med staff in the business and people want the Bills to sign him???

Actually, I think people want the Bills doctors to take a look at him and if they think he can play, sign him to an incentive based deal that won't break the bank. I think the slacker tag is a bit overblown.

Actually, I think people want the Bills doctors to take a look at him and if they think he can play, sign him to an incentive based deal that won't break the bank. I think the slacker tag is a bit overblown.

You're right and the Bills, as all teams, should do diligence and at least look at him for themselves. But there are a lot of signs this guy is just looking for a quick paycheck to coast (which I don't blame him for at all). But after a quick Jared Gaither work ethic google search, I found a nice breakdown on him: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/607534-baltimore-ravens-5-reasons-jared-gaither-wont-be-a-raven-in-2011

1) If it was tweeted that Gaither was in Buffalo talking to the Bills 90% of the posters here would do a complete 180 and claim him to be the second coming. "Back injuries aren't so bad, he could just take a lot of Advil, right?"

2) Gaither wants to play LT. Why? Probably because they make more money. He started his career at LT until he got blindsided by Oher (see that?). It looks like he's been grumbling about RT ever since and won't sign with a team that wants him to play RT unless they break the bank.

You're right and the Bills, as all teams, should do diligence and at least look at him for themselves. But there are a lot of signs this guy is just looking for a quick paycheck to coast (which I don't blame him for at all). But after a quick Jared Gaither work ethic google search, I found a nice breakdown on him: http://bleacherrepor...a-raven-in-2011

I like the way the author of that article admits there are things he doesn't know for sure, and then lays out his opinion. That's what I think about Gaither. I really have no idea about a lot of the good and bad things said about him. The guy makes a few good points, but the first few paragraphs he writes says he thinks Gaither is a very, very good football player and I want him on my team. We need good football players. Gaither doesn't have a lot of options and is not going to cost a lot. I trust the Bills offensive coaches, and I trust the doctors. IF we bring him in, IF he passes a physical and gets the nod from the doctors, IF the coaches think his upside outweighs his downside and IF he can be signed for not a lot of money or risk, then I want him.

IF any of those things are not a "yes", then I don't want him. And that's a lot of ifs, so I don't expect it at all.