Why are so few draft picks being signed?

Teams are concentrating on the Free Agents right now. The drafted players arent going anywhere, theyll get signed eventually. There is a mad bidding war going on for the FAs that FOs are focusing on.

True, but the rookies have had no mini-camp, no OTA's, and now, possibly missing the start of training camp. Not good for teams such as the Bills who will look to many of these rookies to contribute this year.

Edited by LabattBlue

I think it is a good sign that there are rumors the bills are talking to free agents like clabo and barret, and less on the rookies. Looks like they are actually going to be making some improvements. Might not be a big splash, but improvements nonetheless.

And i think that Poz bailing got them a little scared, and he was a big chunk of what they were planning on spending.

True, but the rookies have had no mini-camp, no OTA's and now, possibly missing the start of training camp. Not good for teams such as the Bills who will look to many of these rookies to contribute this year.

outside of the top few, it should take all of 45 mins before the first practice to sign them all. exaggerated i know, but waiting a couple days to sign them while we talk to people we wont have access to in a couple of days isnt crazy.

outside of the top few, it should take all of 45 mins before the first practice to sign them all. exaggerated i know, but waiting a couple days to sign them while we talk to people we wont have access to in a couple of days isnt crazy.

If it took all of 45 minutes, it would be done already. I guess Overdorf, Littman and Cooter can't multi-task. :doh:

True, but the rookies have had no mini-camp, no OTA's, and now, possibly missing the start of training camp. Not good for teams such as the Bills who will look to many of these rookies to contribute this year.

Free agent signees, rookie draft picks and rookie undrafted signees can't practice with the team at training camp until August 4th (or until the CBA is ratified by the NFLPA Union), so even if they get signed by Saturday they still can't participate in camp until next Thursday.

Free agent signees, rookie draft picks and rookie undrafted signees can't practice with the team at training camp until August 4th (or until the CBA is ratified by the NFLPA Union), so even if they get signed by Saturday they still can't participate in camp until next Thursday.

So vets can participate in training camp before 8/4, but not signed rookies? I wonder why they couldn't practice on the same date as the vets as long as they are under contract?

Is there any way these rookies(both in Buffalo and across the NFL) all get signed and ready to go for the start of training camp? I thought with the rookie wage scale, that getting these guys signed would be a no brainer.

Tampa's got 3 of their picks signed, including their 1st and 3rd rounders. So it can be done. There is still room for negotiation under the new rules. Just a lot less money available to pay to rookies. I wish it was a straight slotting system like the NBA, but unfortunately, its not.

So vets can participate in training camp before 8/4, but not signed rookies? I wonder why they couldn't practice on the same date as the vets as long as they are under contract?

I think rookies can practice as soon as they are signed

Dont they have a summer intern that could negotiate the rookie contracts?

"Hmmm Dareus, I see you were drafted 3rd overall. This chart tells me you get 4 yrs, with a 5th year option, and 20 million dollars. Please sign here, then I can give you a play book and a tour of the facilities"

Dont they have a summer intern that could negotiate the rookie contracts?

"Hmmm Dareus, I see you were drafted 3rd overall. This chart tells me you get 4 yrs, with a 5th year option, and 20 million dollars. Please sign here, then I can give you a play book and a tour of the facilities"

It is not a scale, it is a rookie cap so there are still negotiations, they're just not nearly as difficult as before

I think rookies can practice as soon as they are signed

That may be correct, not 100% sure. I do know the league year doesn't technically start until August 4th, that is when Florence will be in. Anyone know for sure when rookies can report? It is an odd difference.

That may be correct, not 100% sure. I do know the league year doesn't technically start until August 4th, that is when Florence will be in. Anyone know for sure when rookies can report? It is an odd difference.

Free agents may report once the union is recertified. Aug 4 is the last day to recertify, it could happen earlier than that

Tampa's got 3 of their picks signed, including their 1st and 3rd rounders. So it can be done. There is still room for negotiation under the new rules. Just a lot less money available to pay to rookies. I wish it was a straight slotting system like the NBA, but unfortunately, its not.

Honest question- the bucs (despite needing to spend) seem to have been pretty quiet in FA. One signing and few rumors.... What's been there story outside signing rookies?

It seems the bills are coming up in more FA talks

Honest question- the bucs (despite needing to spend) seem to have been pretty quiet in FA. One signing and few rumors.... What's been there story outside signing rookies?

Didn't you just read that? they are busy signing their draft choices :devil: Multitasking is hard

Edited by bowery4

They've got quite a few of their own FAs to try to re-sign. They just re-upped with LB Quincy Black, and as far as i know, are working to try and keep OG DavinJoseph, OT Trueblood, and LB Ruud. Those 3 will come at a high cost. Rumors have also linked them to a WR like Lance Moore or RB Ahmad Bradshaw, and they are in the market for CBs too.

I think they're taking care of their own first, however.

Also, on an interesting note regarding the rookie deal; Adrian Clayborn's 4 year, 8 million dollar deal is fully guaranteed. The radio guys were saying you might see a lot of this for the new 1st round rooks. Significant;y lower numbers, but most or all of the contract guaranteed.