Whitner to sign elsewhere

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, and with who we have on the roster already, I feel like re-signing Donte is more trouble than its worth.

Going into the Draft, I was a huge fan of how DaNorris Searcy plays ball and was very happy to see the Bills snag him. In two years, he'll be our starting strong safety. Hell, maybe in one year.

Yea he is pretty good at tackling the runner 5-10 yds past the line of scrimmage.

And all of the opposing TE's on Buffalo's 2011 schedule release a collective sigh of disappointment. Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Searcy get some substantial snaps before the season is over, especially in the event of an injury (god forbid).

Two of the dumbest criticisms of a safety. What safety, who normally are between 5'10" and 6', is a good matchup one on one with a 6'4" TE? If Troy P is one on one with Antonio Gates, guess where Rivers throws the ball? And what safety makes their living making tackles at the line of scrimmage? Maybe Troy P, who plays behind a terrific front 7?

Honestly, I hope Whitner lives. Most Bills fans never gave him a chance for reasons that were never his fault. I'm sure many flexed their internet muscles and attacked him (the downside of the internet). He was very proud to be a Bill and always represented the team and community well.

So if he leaves, I wish he will and know he will finally get embraced by a fanbase. But obviously Whitner is the sole reason the Bills haven't made the playoffs in a decade. :thumbsup:

Yea he is pretty good at tackling the runner 5-10 yds past the line of scrimmage.

He plays safety, not sure where you expect him to tackle the runner.

Based on the attempted signing of Bob Sanders and OJ Atogwe my guess is the Bills take the money they were offering to Whitner and sign another SS to start. Eric Weddle perhaps?

He plays safety, not sure where you expect him to tackle the runner.

Based on the attempted signing of Bob Sanders and OJ Atogwe my guess is the Bills take the money they were offering to Whitner and sign another SS to start. Eric Weddle perhaps?

Weddle is gonna be a pro bowler. I'd love that move plus he is a married guy which helps Buffalo IMO.

Doesn't cover Te's ? Kidding right?....never seen Donte matchup with a TE in a spread formation?

I cringe at the thought of it. Adios Donte, my BP may stay down a few points this year after not seeing him in coverage.

Interesting how the Poz-haters have conveniently missed this post..

Anyway, I fear they may get their wish. Even if Poz has a Gentlemen's agreement to bring back to the Bills his highest offer, there's a few teams out there dying for starting ILB's who will likely offer him an amount we simply won't pay. Jax comes to mind -he's on the top of their list.

I love it how all these other teams are interested in Poz, and he's one of the most talked about players on the market, yet he's not good enoguh to bring back to buffalo, according to the haters. :wallbash:

Bills fans, the falsely named "smartest fans in the league," tend to have ridiculously high expectations for players. You evaluate players on what they are, and what they have done on the field, and not compared to what you expected/wanted them to be or where they were drafted.

I wanted to Poz to be a superstar, but he hasn't been thusfar. That doesn't mean he isn't a valuable piece to our defense, whose loss will hurt us tremendously.

I love it how all these other teams are interested in Poz, and he's one of the most talked about players on the market, yet he's not good enoguh to bring back to buffalo, according to the haters. :wallbash:

Bills fans, the falsely named "smartest fans in the league," tend to have ridiculously high expectations for players. You evaluate players on what they are, and what they have done on the field, and not compared to what you expected/wanted them to be or where they were drafted.

I wanted to Poz to be a superstar, but he hasn't been thusfar. That doesn't mean he isn't a valuable piece to our defense, whose loss will hurt us tremendously.

According to Nix's comments in todays PC I'd say Poz will get a decent offer from the Bills. The rest is up to Poz.

With all due respect, everyone on our defense last year was pretty good at tackling 5-10+ yards past the line of scrimmage.

I don't mind if Whitner walks because I find him obnoxious and I don't think the Bills lose playing Wilson in his spot. Both are capable starters. Poz is another capable starter, but unlike the Donte situation we have no one ready to step up to his spot. I would like to see Poz sign an average deal and stay in Buffalo. We will see what kind of offers he receives. I won't be heartbroken if he signs a big deal and the Bills decline to match.

While neither Poz or Donte became perennial pro bowlers as we had hoped, they are both good players worthy of a spot in the starting lineup. If all our early round draft picks for the last 10 years turned out to be as good as Poz and Donte we would be in a much better situation today.