Cullen Jenkins canidate for Bills

8. Cullen Jenkins, DE, Green Bay Packers: Jenkins is one of the better 3-4 defensive ends in the game. However, because he's 30, the Packers are expected to replace him with a younger option. Most people around the league believe he's going to be the main target of the Redskins, who are expected to be the big spenders in free agency. Jenkins has a high motor and would speed the Redskins' transition to the 3-4.

Leading suitor: Washington. Dark horse: Buffalo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783433/nnamdi-asomugha-headlines-2011-free-agent-class

I really don't see a spot for a top tier or even second tier FA DE. We're really trying to be a 3-4 team. Dareus and Edwards are going to start, Spencer Johnson and Carrington are going to back them up. It's very hard to imagine we would sign a guy like Cullen Jenkins and start him over Edwards, whom Nix signed as his top FA last year and is a solid player. He's better than Spencer Johnson and would make the team better, but probably would not be worth the money, and doubtful he'd sign with the Bills to be a back-up.

It's possible, but highly unlikely IMO.

I really don't see a spot for a top tier or even second tier FA DE. We're really trying to be a 3-4 team. Dareus and Edwards are going to start, Spencer Johnson and Carrington are going to back them up. It's very hard to imagine we would sign a guy like Cullen Jenkins and start him over Edwards, whom Nix signed as his top FA last year and is a solid player. He's better than Spencer Johnson and would make the team better, but probably would not be worth the money, and doubtful he'd sign with the Bills to be a back-up.

As it is right now Carrington will win the starting job over Edwards But Jenkins is a sure thing and he is a 34 end.

Yeah, I doubt they will sign him. But I am pretty sure they are going to sign some more line depth. Troup just hastn't developed enough yet and makes me nervous.

But the majority of the players we grab will be camp fodder anyway. If they grab at least 2 starters, I would conisder it a victory. If they sign one, I will be content. If they sign no one of starting caliber to upgrade the team, I will sigh and just hope for the best. But whatever happens, I am ready for some football!

As it is right now Carrington will win the starting job over Edwards

No way I see that. Carrington is only useful in pass rushing situations. The guy showed promise and a few sparks, but he didn't do enough last year to earn the starting job from a proven vet.

As it is right now Carrington will win the starting job over Edwards But Jenkins is a sure thing and he is a 34 end.

Wanna bet that barring injury, Dwan Edwards starts at DE for the Bills on opening day and remains there for awhile?

It's possible that by the seasons end, if Carrington plays out of his head, that he will surpass Edwards as the starter. That would be great for the team. Carrington will get a lot of plays as a back-up because we rotate our linemen, but is still a project. And one of the major reasons why they will never sign Jenkins, IMO. They drafted him high, and they are still high on him as a potential starter in a few years. They invested a ton in Dareus as the #3 pick and tens of millions, a significant amount of money in Edwards, and a high draft pick in Carrington. It's unlikely they spend a ton more on another. DE is one of the most solid positions on this team now (which ain't saying much about the depth of the team).

8. Cullen Jenkins, DE, Green Bay Packers: Jenkins is one of the better 3-4 defensive ends in the game. However, because he's 30, the Packers are expected to replace him with a younger option. Most people around the league believe he's going to be the main target of the Redskins, who are expected to be the big spenders in free agency. Jenkins has a high motor and would speed the Redskins' transition to the 3-4.

Leading suitor: Washington. Dark horse: Buffalo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783433/nnamdi-asomugha-headlines-2011-free-agent-class

"Jenkins has a high motor" . . . he just moved to the top of the FA board :flirt:

I disagree, but if that is believed to be the case wouldn't that give less reason to sign a DE like Jenkins? Hindering a young players development to sign a 30 year old to a long term contract doesnt make sense either. And I really don't thnk Jenkins is that large of an upgrade over Edwards.

Maybe the Bills cut Edwards who is hurt all the time and is the same age as Jenkins. Cutting Edwards would free up some cap room and you could put that towards Jenkins who is a much more reliable player.

Having a D-line of Dareus-Williams-Jenkins would immensely improve the run D providing that they get competent MLB's to back them up. Also Troup, Carrington, and Johnson would be a nice bench to mix in.

Edwards is a decent player when healthy but why not go after a better more reliable player.

I disagree, but if that is believed to be the case wouldn't that give less reason to sign a DE like Jenkins? Hindering a young players development to sign a 30 year old to a long term contract doesnt make sense either. And I really don't thnk Jenkins is that large of an upgrade over Edwards.

I think it would be better to have a proven talent like Jenkins anchor the position for a year or two while a guy like Carrington develops as a player who rotates in heavily. Also its always good to have depth.

While Jenkins isn't a dramatic improvement over Edwards when Edwards is healthy He is an improvement who is much more reliable and healthy than Edwards.

Maybe the Bills cut Edwards who is hurt all the time and is the same age as Jenkins. Cutting Edwards would free up some cap room and you could put that towards Jenkins who is a much more reliable player.

Having a D-line of Dareus-Williams-Jenkins would immensely improve the run D providing that they get competent MLB's to back them up. Also Troup, Carrington, and Johnson would be a nice bench to mix in.

Edwards is a decent player when healthy but why not go after a better more reliable player.

That's a thought. I wouldn't mind that. Jenkins played at a very high level last year. Maybe because his contract was up, maybe because he's good. Either way, he's better than Edwards and would be an upgrade on our DL. A DL of dareus Williams and Jenkins would be one of the better lines in the league, especially with troupe and carrington adding good young depth.

That's a thought. I wouldn't mind that. Jenkins played at a very high level last year. Maybe because his contract was up, maybe because he's good. Either way, he's better than Edwards and would be an upgrade on our DL. A DL of dareus Williams and Jenkins would be one of the better lines in the league, especially with troupe and carrington adding good young depth.

So true. It's amazing to think that (this is wishful thinking) that the additions of Jenkins and Clabo would instantly solidify both lines, and turn two weaknesses into two strengths.

With that said, I thought Edwards played well before going down. I still think Dareus, Williams, Edwards is a solid line to start with. No way Carrington starts over Dwan as suggested earlier IMHO.

I SEE CARRINGTONS ROLE AS MORE PASH RUSH ,2 AND LONG ,3 RD , etc .EDWARDS WILL START ,BUT IMO THEY ARE STILL SEEKING ANOTHER DE ,BUT id rather have quenton coples next year in the draft.

id read more than one aticle questioning jenkins work ethic.. ,not the right fit imo ..

I SEE CARRINGTONS ROLE AS MORE PASH RUSH ,2 AND LONG ,3 RD , etc .EDWARDS WILL START ,BUT IMO THEY ARE STILL SEEKING ANOTHER DE ,BUT id rather have quenton coples next year in the draft.

id read more than one aticle questioning jenkins work ethic.. ,not the right fit imo ..

Hopefully you'll be saying that after the season. If you are, fitz would have had a good year. As much as I like fitz, I still think we'll be drafting a QB with our 1st rd pick next year. Let's hope I'm wrong, unless it's Andrew Luck.

Use a keyboard much?

Jenkins just got a championship ring & played great last season. Who better to lead the way for our revamped defense with a juggernaut (Dareus) next to him ?

Yep. And if I was him I'd probably be thinking that now I can fulfill my lifelong dream and play for the Bills.... and have my Monday nights and January's off. :flirt: It might be a tough sell. Lotsa $$$$$ needed.

I see all these posts about who we should pick up in free agency, and what everyone forgets is that we can't make free agents come here. Even if we offer more money than everyone else we still can't make them come here. Jenkins played for the world champions last year - you think he's going to choose Buffalo if he has offers from winning teams, even if they are a few hundred thousand less? Until the reputation and results of this team improve, we will be stuck competing for the free agents who have to choose between offers from Cleveland, Jacksonville and Buffalo. Unfortunately, we are a second class franchise at the moment. We can't pay enough for top tier free agents to come here. Buddy looking at free agents numbered 70 on down is smart - why waste time on guys who won't come here anyway.

Improve the team, draft well and win a few games, and maybe we can shoot for free agent #40 next year.