Pre-CBA FA talk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooooooo sick and tired, however, of watching wide open TE's streaking up the middle of the field for an easy touchdown. Ask Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski how they feel about Donte Whitner....I suspect that they would also really like the Bills to re-sign him to a long-term deal :lol:

and Finley had a career game, heap had two td's

Keller, M.Lewis had two td's and on and on

SEEMS like the same 3 names are on everyones wish list for free agency TYSON CLABO -INSTANT STARTER AT RT ,ZACH MILLER -INSTANT THREAT AT TE , AND BRUCE GRADKOWSKI FOR FITZ 's backup .. if news reports are to believed free agency will begin within days ,,, me id settle for any one of them but im hoping for at least two of these guys ..I think CLABO is a longshot but i believe the AL Davis mess in OAKLAND make the others more possible.. CROSS YOUR FINGERS :thumbsup:

SEEMS like the same 3 names are on everyones wish list for free agency TYSON CLABO -INSTANT STARTER AT RT ,ZACH MILLER -INSTANT THREAT AT TE , AND BRUCE GRADKOWSKI FOR FITZ 's backup .. if news reports are to believed free agency will begin within days ,,, me id settle for any one of them but im hoping for at least two of these guys ..I think CLABO is a longshot but i believe the AL Davis mess in OAKLAND make the others more possible.. CROSS YOUR FINGERS :thumbsup:

Ryan Harris from Denver was allegedly pursued in trade last year - I think he's a likely claybo alternative.

So far, top 5 wishes Poz return, Flo return, Clabo, Gradkowski, Miller/Boss (and some more young capable back ups for depth). Get it done Buddy (or a reasonable facsimile)! and you will have a happy fan base. :thumbsup: You can do it!

SI discuss two Bills scenarios...

Buffalo Bills

Money is no object: If the Bills are going to break the bank anywhere, it must be on left tackle Doug Free or tackle Jared Gaither. The line is a mess and needs an anchor around which to build. If they want to spend big on the defensive side, it should be on end Ray Edwards, who would be a perfect fit.

Smart shopper: Thomas Howard could fit in the 3-4 and would be a front-line player at less than a king's ransom. Perhaps an even better value as a fix for the defensive issues in Buffalo could be Vernon Gholston, who may also be a target of Cleveland's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/john_lopez/07/19/afc-free-agency-guide/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

No way we get Doug Free. That would be too amazing, and super expensive.

Thomas Howard is an interesting option that hasn't been beaten to death like the others. yet.

How about Peyton Manning????

From PFT....

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning both are requesting to be exempt from the franchise tag for the rest of their careers, according to Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe.

Bedard’s source says that would be effective immediately, which would conceivably make Manning an unrestricted free agent next week. (Now that would fun.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/rosenhaus-predicts-most-active-two-weeks-in-nfl-history/related/

Btw, Drew Rosenhaus is saying this will be the “most active two-week period in the history of the NFL.”

Buffalo Bills

Money is no object: If the Bills are going to break the bank anywhere, it must be on left tackle Doug Free or tackle Jared Gaither. The line is a mess and needs an anchor around which to build. If they want to spend big on the defensive side, it should be on end Ray Edwards, who would be a perfect fit.

Smart shopper: Thomas Howard could fit in the 3-4 and would be a front-line player at less than a king's ransom. Perhaps an even better value as a fix for the defensive issues in Buffalo could be Vernon Gholston, who may also be a target of Cleveland's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/john_lopez/07/19/afc-free-agency-guide/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

While the O-line is not great, I wouldn't call it a mess and the writer loses all credibility by mentioning Gholston. We already have Maybin!!

Buffalo Bills

… If they want to spend big on the defensive side, it should be on end Ray Edwards, who would be a perfect fit.

http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a1

While the O-line is not great, I wouldn't call it a mess and the writer loses all credibility by mentioning Gholston. We already have Maybin!!

The writer also loses all credibility by associating Ray Edwards with the Bills.

Edwards is a 260 pound defensive end who's played his entire career in a 4-3.

If you read both of the NFC and AFC FA reviews this guy wrote, you'll find at least three mentions of Trentative being a viable option at QB for some teams. This writer should be working with Bleacher Report. Complete amateur.

Going nuts in F.A. at this point would be a waste, I think. We have a very young team with players at a lot of positions who could be quality guys - we should let the young guys play and see where we really need the help, with the exception of a few spots where we know we need help, like TE, Backup QB, and RT - in those cases, we should go get the best players that fit what we're looking for as possible.

Thigpen, Moore, or Gradkowski for QB, Clabo for RT, and Zack Miller or Boss for TE. If we could do that, we'd have a pretty solid team, IMO.

I don't like the idea of spending money of Free Agency just to get bodies. Like Cornell Green, for example. I think, for this team, being that we're probably targeting a 1st round QB next year and looking to begin a lengthy playoff run from next year on, we should spend the money we have left over on the younger guys who are promising, so we don't get out-bid for them when they would otherwise hit F.A.

If the cap reports are true and teams will have to spend up to the cap no matter what and the Bills even after resigning Poz and Florence as well as filling out some of the rest of the roster (Backup QB and other cheaper roster spots) have 20+ million in raw cap room could maybe go after a couple of upper tier free agents as a way to spend that money.

If they went out and got a stud RT or LT and got a front 7 player of worth I would be ecstatic. I think that the only way the Bills go out and do more than they usually do in free agency is if the cap is mandated to be spent in cash.

Going nuts in F.A. at this point would be a waste, I think. We have a very young team with players at a lot of positions who could be quality guys - we should let the young guys play and see where we really need the help, with the exception of a few spots where we know we need help, like TE, Backup QB, and RT - in those cases, we should go get the best players that fit what we're looking for as possible.

Thigpen, Moore, or Gradkowski for QB, Clabo for RT, and Zack Miller or Boss for TE. If we could do that, we'd have a pretty solid team, IMO.

I don't like the idea of spending money of Free Agency just to get bodies. Like Cornell Green, for example. I think, for this team, being that we're probably targeting a 1st round QB next year and looking to begin a lengthy playoff run from next year on, we should spend the money we have left over on the younger guys who are promising, so we don't get out-bid for them when they would otherwise hit F.A.

Yeah, if they play the "sit back and wait game", Poz could get a big offer from say the Giants, who may want him to make a quick decision, and he could be gone quickly.

The Sabres rushed in and overpaid on the 3 players they acquired but sometimes you have to pay to get what you want, especially when your team/location is not thought of as a prime choice by the players.

I for one have not liked this approach of being satisfied with Bell at LT. I'm of the opinion to try and get the best you can at each position.