Naaman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Roscoe would be the odd man out.

Me too. I doubt that Roosevelt would clear waivers to make it back to the practice squad. If the Bills think he has a future then I'd dump Parrish. Not the big, physical receiver that the current staff is looking for; frequently injured; I think that Donald Jones will replace him in the passing game within one more year and the Bills have numerous options to replace him on special team.

As you mention, they may even be able to get a draft pick for him.

Roosevelt will make the roster. If I had to guess, I'd say they keep 6 WR's (Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Roosevelt, Nelson, Jones), and cut and sign Easley to the PS if he doesn't get back on the field soon and/or stay healthy. Kamar Aiken is a wildcard but a PS candidate at least.

Roosevelt will make the roster. If I had to guess, I'd say they keep 6 WR's (Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Roosevelt, Nelson, Jones), and cut and sign Easley to the PS if he doesn't get back on the field soon and/or stay healthy. Kamar Aiken is a wildcard but a PS candidate at least.

Agreed. Easley is a goner if he doesn't come back soon and tear up camp. Don't see it happening.

We don't have the luxury of keeping an oft-injured 'rookie' who has never played an NFL preseason snap.

Wouldn't the fact that Gailey said Naaman was "a great football player" twice yesterday preclude the possibility of him not making the team?

Superficially, yes.

Thinking in Gaileyspeak, I'm not sure.

It seems to me I heard Gailey say similar strongly positive things about Levi Brown - just before he got cut and finally signed to the practice squad

Gailey also said, He's not fast, he's not big

So honestly, that might be Gaileyspeak for "I wish the kid well and I'll talk him up to help sweeten the pill/maybe give him a better shot at another roster, meanwhile, we'll be keeping the big fast guys.

Everyone seems to be leaving Buster Davis off the list - having just signed him as a vet, wouldn't it be a shoo-in he makes the team if he's healthy?

Superficially, yes.

It seems to me I heard Gailey say similar strongly positive things about Levi Brown - just before he got cut and finally signed to the practice squad

So honestly, that might be Gaileyspeak for "I wish the kid well and I'll talk him up to help sweeten the pill/maybe give him a better shot at another roster, meanwhile, we'll be keeping the big fast guys.

Everyone seems to be leaving Buster Davis off the list - having just signed him as a vet, wouldn't it be a shoo-in he makes the team if he's healthy?

Well my money is on Naaman over Buster.

As I posted when he was signed, I think part of the point of the Buster Davis signing was largely that you have to have enough receivers in training camp to guard against overworking the WRs. You have to avoid hamstring pulls, etc.

Paul Hubbard is making quite a stir in training camp btw.

In spite of the Bills not investing heavily at WR (Evans and Parrish the exceptions), it seems they've been able to cobble together a very talented group of players… from undrafted free agents, and a 7th rounder.

We have such a good group of young receivers (if there is a season) that Naaman's 'feel good' story from last year might end up seeing him in someone else's uniform. I don't recall having seen any stories about his workouts this off season, which is surprising, that might give us an indication about how he's stepping it up for year two.

He showed he belongs in the NFL but with those you mentioned and the other receivers we have it will be hard to break into the 53.

Yeah, i if he is PS'd, i don't see some teams in this league passing him by.

Well my money is on Naaman over Buster.

As I posted when he was signed, I think part of the point of the Buster Davis signing was largely that you have to have enough receivers in training camp to guard against overworking the WRs. You have to avoid hamstring pulls, etc.

Paul Hubbard is making quite a stir in training camp btw.

In spite of the Bills not investing heavily at WR (Evans and Parrish the exceptions), it seems they've been able to cobble together a very talented group of players… from undrafted free agents, and a 7th rounder.

Agree on the talented group.

I haven't seen Buster Davis (or much of Naaman). It seems as though Buster might be a Nix protege though. I think they had enough WR bodies in camp without him.

If Davis shows anything in training camp, he fits that "big physical WR" prototype I think the Bills were hoping for from Easley (and not getting due to injuries).

Easley is in a bad place. If he doesn't come back and tear the place up, I don't see how he can make the team.

From the limited amount I've seen, I like Roosevelt >> Jones. Could we see something like Evans, Parrish, Stevie, Nelson, Davis, Roosevelt - Easley and Hubbard on the practice squad?

Superficially, yes.

Gailey said nothing about Brown even remotely close to what he said about Roosevelt. And Roosevelt had some decent production at the end of last season. He'll make the roster.

Gailey is also smart and he is also a realist. He is simply talking about Roosevelt, and he likes what he sees, as do the other coaches. He was pretty decent (not good) when he played last year under extremely tough circumstances. But the fact remains that this is a numbers game. Evans, Johnson, Roscoe, and D Nelson are locks. Smith gets a few plays a game at WR but is not part of the numbers game because he is listed at #3 QB. Gailey also loves Donald Jones, who is a better blocker and ST man than Roosevelt. Naaman is also a possession guy. Stevie Johnson and D Nelson are possession guys. I think we keep six WR because we are loaded with talent and Gailey wants to use a lot of 4 WR sets (although he also has Spiller, Smith, Freddie Jackson and Shawn Nelson if he makes the team to line up there.)

That leaves Easley versus Naaman for the last spot. If Easley plays well, IMO, Naaman will be cut and hopefully signed to the PS where he may not last. It's possible he could beat out D Jones but IMO Gailey loves him more than he loves Roosevelt (and it showed last year with them both being rookie UDFA). Easley will likely be back before the first pre-season game and will have a month to show his stuff. If he shows potential, IMO the Bills will keep him for his speed and size, and regretfully have to release (but hope to re-sign) Naaman.

Here is Chris Brown's take today on the numbers game at WR. He thinks 6, with remote chance at 7.

It’s a little early to be speculating how the roster will fall in terms of position numbers, but regardless of what the final outcome might be there’s no debating that wide receiver will be one of the most difficult positions to whittle down for the 53-man roster.

Buffalo kept five receivers on the opening day roster last season. By year’s end Naaman Roosevelt and Paul Hubbard had been called up to the roster from the team’s practice squad. Now Marcus Easley and Craig Davis have been added to the fold giving Buffalo nine capable NFL wideouts. So how many will Buffalo keep on the 53-man roster come early September?

My guess is there will be six. Easley hasn’t been able to show a whole lot due to his hyperextended knee that’s kept him out for over a week. He has top 2 receiver ability, but he has to show it first. Donald Jones and Naaman Roosevelt offer the added bonus of special teams ability, which you have to have from your fourth, fifth or sixth receivers on an active roster.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/09/how-many-wrs-do-bills-keep/

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

If Namaan goes to the PS, he'll be gone faster than a summer in Buffalo. And until a receiver with the Bills garners enough respect (deserved or not) from opposing defenses, then getting rid of Evans is idiotic. The problem with the Bills receivers is not that any of them should be cut, traded, etc., it's that whomever they cut, trade, etc. is very likely to have a great year (or career) with another team. It's just the way it is. And here's the bottom line on it: there aren't enough slots for all the worthy and really good receivers so we're all going to have to live with seeing "our guys" lighting it up for other teams.