2 year view

Year one-resign Poz and Florence and sign a solid OT and TE. Fitzgerald will be solid and his contract will be extended. 5to7wins. Year two-trade up for QB who phases in mid -year,5to7 wins. Buddy retires.New ownership takes over. Bills ready for playoff football year3

Fitzpatrick

Extend Fitzpatrick & trade up for a QB??????? Flutie-Johnson all over again at best, Bledsoe-Losman at worst.

You can extend Fitzpatrick & draft a project, or you can let Fitzpatrick go, go for the franchise QB and sign a veteran to be the backup/ half season starter, but you can't have 2 new contracts with 2 QBs being paid starting $, it doesn't work. It's too bad there was no QB worth it for the Bills to take this year, because the plan works with the veteran on his last contract year, not his 1st.

Which OT and which TE in UFA? There aren't many quality OT's, specifically LT's that hit the open market anymore. TE offers a few more chances, but the price for a Zach Miller or Kevin Boss may exceed what Buffalo is willing to play, especially if Gailey continues to feature them as nothing more than extra blocking help.

Buffalo has three major holes to get answers/help for: QB, LT, and pass rush. Fitzpatrick has, IMO, become their guy out of default. They deemed a QB wasn't good enough at 9 last year nor at 3 this year. At OT, their depth is alarmingly thin with projects or unproven types. Pass rush is held up with duct tape and baling wire in the form of Shawne Merriman and other unproven youngsters.

Until they find better than marginal/average talent at these positions, they'll struggle. Teams in the NFL of today need to be able to pass, protect their passer, and get after their opponent's QB.

Which OT and which TE in UFA? There aren't many quality OT's, specifically LT's that hit the open market anymore. TE offers a few more chances, but the price for a Zach Miller or Kevin Boss may exceed what Buffalo is willing to play, especially if Gailey continues to feature them as nothing more than extra blocking help.

Obviously depends on the rules that are being played, but I think there are quite a few OTs in free agency this year:

Tyson Clabo, Doug Free, Matt Light, Jermon Bushrod, Willie Colon, Ryan Harris, Marshal Yanda, Jeromy Clary, Charlie Johnson and Ryan O'Callaghan could all be UFAs and be an immediate upgrade at RT.

I like D Bell at LT.

I agree that we're in year 2 of what was envisioned to be a 3-4 year rebuild, or, at least that is the time frame I imagine Nix and Gailey set for themselves for being contenders, and by that I mean I don't think they'd consider themselves in danger of losing their jobs if they don't make the playoffs until next year, and if they get a QB early next year, then I think that affords them one more year before it is playoffs or they're gone.

So, last year they just more or less got pieces they thought would be essential foundation blocks in a few years, like Carrington, Troupe, and Spiller, not to mention Moats, Batten, and Coleman as depth for the linebacker spots. They also add depth for the O-line during the season with Ubrik and Rhinehart, and get Merriman as a cornerstone (if he's healthy. They follow that up with getting Darius, Williams, and Shepphard, not to mention secondary depth and a project in Jasper who together finish off a Defense that from this point out should be pretty much in place and good, and getting better from here out. I'd say our D is just about in place, with young guys ready to start or who will be ready to start next year at just about every position.

Next year we'll see the offense finished off, which already has the WR's young and in place for the future, the O-line a player away from being set for years to come. Our RB's, I believe are more or less set. All we need to really find in all of next year's draft and F.A. will be a future franchise QB, a LT/RT starter or groomer, depending on how Bell does this year, and a star TE. We'll probably add an OLB and maybe an ILB next year, as well, to keep the depth always fresh, as Pittsburgh likes to do.

Anyway, that is how I see this playing out. A high first round rookie QB is drafted next year, and they get him a solid prospect at TE - much like Detroit did - and we'll be looking at the Bills of the forseeable future next year.

Extend Fitzpatrick & trade up for a QB??????? Flutie-Johnson all over again at best, Bledsoe-Losman at worst.

You can extend Fitzpatrick & draft a project, or you can let Fitzpatrick go, go for the franchise QB and sign a veteran to be the backup/ half season starter, but you can't have 2 new contracts with 2 QBs being paid starting $, it doesn't work. It's too bad there was no QB worth it for the Bills to take this year, because the plan works with the veteran on his last contract year, not his 1st.

A lot of what happens with Fitz depends on his performance in the future. Perhaps he will continue to improve in this offense, and he will prove to be the face of this franchise. There is also a chance that he will prove to be the mediocre "career back-up" QB that many on this message board claim him to be. Only time will tell.

If he does continue to improve, then there is no need to spend a 1st round draft pick on a QB. They could draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round who would not require a hefty contract, and could develop under Fitz.

I agree that we're in year 2 of what was envisioned to be a 3-4 year rebuild, or, at least that is the time frame I imagine Nix and Gailey set for themselves for being contenders, and by that I mean I don't think they'd consider themselves in danger of losing their jobs if they don't make the playoffs until next year, and if they get a QB early next year, then I think that affords them one more year before it is playoffs or they're gone.

So, last year they just more or less got pieces they thought would be essential foundation blocks in a few years, like Carrington, Troupe, and Spiller, not to mention Moats, Batten, and Coleman as depth for the linebacker spots. They also add depth for the O-line during the season with Ubrik and Rhinehart, and get Merriman as a cornerstone (if he's healthy. They follow that up with getting Darius, Williams, and Shepphard, not to mention secondary depth and a project in Jasper who together finish off a Defense that from this point out should be pretty much in place and good, and getting better from here out. I'd say our D is just about in place, with young guys ready to start or who will be ready to start next year at just about every position.

Next year we'll see the offense finished off, which already has the WR's young and in place for the future, the O-line a player away from being set for years to come. Our RB's, I believe are more or less set. All we need to really find in all of next year's draft and F.A. will be a future franchise QB, a LT/RT starter or groomer, depending on how Bell does this year, and a star TE. We'll probably add an OLB and maybe an ILB next year, as well, to keep the depth always fresh, as Pittsburgh likes to do.

Anyway, that is how I see this playing out. A high first round rookie QB is drafted next year, and they get him a solid prospect at TE - much like Detroit did - and we'll be looking at the Bills of the forseeable future next year.

While I agree with a lot of the points you made in your post, I really don't think our offensive line is as good as you claim it to be. While we have some good potential candidates for RG in Urbik and Rinehart, I would need to see one of them play consistently over the coarse of a whole season before I felt that we were set at that position. When you stated that the o-line is "a player away" from being set for years, I assumed that you were referring to the RT position. Again...we have some decent prospects in Pears, Wrotto, and now Hairston; however, none of them have proven to be starting caliber RT's. I think Tyson Clabo would be a tremendous FA acquisition for this team.

When I said a player away from being set on the O-line, I meant that I think our interior is set, and that I see us needing either a LT or a RT, depending on how our guys play and how healthy they stay. Sure, we might end up still having nothing at those two positions and needing both, or we might find that our guys are good enough this year, but in that case I think we still add depth there, at least. My guess is we're looking to add another player to the O-line, and I'd be delighted if it were Clabo - he'd be the one F.A. I would pursue first and foremost if I were the Bills.

As for Fitz, and this team being ready now - well, if he could find a way to be more consistently accurate, then I think he would be good enough, and I think we could be ready to compete for a playoff spot this season, again, if our defense plays better and if Fitz can minimize those absolutely frustratingly erratic passes he sometimes throws. If it proves to be mechanics and if he proves to be able to correct that stuff, then we might not need to look elsewhere, but if he remains only as accurate as he was this year - and, I think more than incompletions hurt him here; the interceptions, the big game changing, momentum changing picks/plays are what will hurt him - then we'll be drafting a replacement next year. Even if he does better, I believe they'll draft a replacement, as Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers despite having Brett.

Buffalo has three major holes to get answers/help for: QB, LT, and pass rush. Fitzpatrick has, IMO, become their guy out of default. They deemed a QB wasn't good enough at 9 last year nor at 3 this year. At OT, their depth is alarmingly thin with projects or unproven types. Pass rush is held up with duct tape and baling wire in the form of Shawne Merriman and other unproven youngsters.

Until they find better than marginal/average talent at these positions, they'll struggle. Teams in the NFL of today need to be able to pass, protect their passer, and get after their opponent's QB.

Left tackle isn't a hole....it doesn't matter how many times you keep on repeating it that wont make it so.

Great read I want Andre Smith.

It's a nice 'feel-good' story, and certainly makes you root for the guy, but don't we already have 5 TEs on the roster?

You'd think he'll get at least a tryout somewhere in the NFL, though. (I wonder why no one drafted the guy, and if the Bills scouted him or had any contact prior to the draft?)

Peyton Manning is a FA and there may be no salary cap again this year. If Ralph wants a championship, he should sign Manning to a 4 yr, 150 million dollar deal, with 120 million guaranteed in the 1st year (again no cap). Then the next three years (assuming the cap is back) will only be 10 per season.

Helllllllloooooo Superbowls.