Back-up QB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I'm thinking the fact he was working out here with Lee would be a good indication that they are pretty tight still.

I guess the only reason why I'm thinking he would be an option is because with Fitz as the bona fide starter, we can't bring in a vet that is hungry to start. The last thing we need is a QB controversy. Losman is a backup, plain and simple. Perhaps Chan could make him into a decent one.

That actually doesnt sound bad

Thigpen is restricted and would be had for a 2nd rounder to Miami...

Dennis Dixon is restricted and would be had for a 5th rounder to the Steelers...

Bulger is not mobile enough...

Alex Smith could get a look...

Tavaris Jackson is a possibility

So what's up with JP back in town working out with the guys....homesick for Blo?

O.K., I could be down with him as our back up QB, I've seen worse.

and as a side note; I don't blame JP for that rollout fumble, I blame Dimwit Dickie.

Edited by JinWPB

So what's up with JP back in town working out with the guys....homesick for Blo?

O.K., I could be down with him as our back up QB, I've seen worse.

and as a side note; I don't blame JP for that rollout fumble, I blame Dimwit Dickie.

You have to blame the player too. He did not execute.

Forget David Carr. I live in Charlotte and had the misfortune of watching him play with the Panthers when Delhomme got hurt. He is absolutely terrible. Speaking of Delhomme, if it's true that he would be available for relatively cheap then he would be a decent backup. He can still play some. I doubt there'd be much controversy with him and Fitz. Delhomme is not a long term prospect and if Fitz is playing so badly that people are chiming for Delhomme, then he deserves to be benched.

I'd rather see a young guy with some chance of developing though. Really, what's the point in a veteran backup? The Bills aren't going to challenge for the Super Bowl next year. Might as well take a shot at catching lightning in a bottle with some young guy.

Edited by vincec

Forget David Carr. I live in Charlotte and had the misfortune of watching him play with the Panthers when Delhomme got hurt. He is absolutely terrible. Speaking of Delhomme, if it's true that he would be available for relatively cheap then he would be a decent backup. He can still play some. I doubt there'd be much controversy with him and Fitz. Delhomme is not a long term prospect and if Fitz is playing so badly that people are chiming for Delhomme, then he deserves to be benched.

I'd rather see a young guy with some chance of developing though. Really, what's the point in a veteran backup? The Bills aren't going to challenge for the Super Bowl next year. Might as well take a shot at catching lightning in a bottle with some young guy.

Yeah and da la home loves byrd, they played catch during the regular season

A couple years ago

Yeah and da la home loves byrd, they played catch during the regular season

A couple years ago

Well, he's not going to lead the Bills to the Super Bowl, but he's better than a lot of veterans who would be willing to come to Buffalo to be a backup. That's why it's better to get a young player.

it would be very strange to have losman back. he was a cool guy, but probably not clever enough to be a nfl qb. and i reckon it would create too much of a fuss to be worth it to nix and gailey.

i still wish the guy the best of luck. no qb should go through what he went through with the idiotic coaching. i honestly think that jauron would have ruined johnny unitas. too reckless, you know.

Why is everyone so in love with Tyler Thigpen? Even in his best season (2008), when he supposedly "flourished" in Chan Gailey's offense, he put up rather pedestrian numbers.

14 games played, Comp % 54.8, 2,608 yds, 18 TD, 12 INT, 76 QB Rating

I can't recall myself but didn't Kansas City start looking competent on offense when Thigpen came in with the pistol? I think they were absolutely horrible before Thigpen got them going. In a vacuum those numbers aren't awesome but I think that it was a considerable improvement from where they were and also in the win loss column. Didn't look it up but I think I recall them getting a little something going.

I honestly think a guy like Alex Smith will get the call to back up Fitz. It won't be someone brought in as a competitor to Fitz's starting job. I think that Smith works out well due to the fact that he is somewhat mobile and very smart.

I like these guys (in order):

Billy Volek

Marc Bulger

Todd Collins

Seneca Wallace

Tavaris Jackson

Bruce Gradkwoski

Alex Smith

Troy Smith

Kerry Collins

Buddy Nix has said we're looking for a guy that can come in and win a few games. Not another young development guy.

I didn't include Vince Young because he's technically not available to us. If he were, he'd move to number 1 on my list. If he beat out Fitz in pre season, so be it.

I like these guys (in order):

Billy Volek

Marc Bulger

Todd Collins

Seneca Wallace

Tavaris Jackson

Bruce Gradkwoski

Alex Smith

Troy Smith

Kerry Collins

Buddy Nix has said we're looking for a guy that can come in and win a few games. Not another young development guy.

I didn't include Vince Young because he's technically not available to us. If he were, he'd move to number 1 on my list. If he beat out Fitz in pre season, so be it.

The only change I would make is to put JP at the top. I never liked the guy as the starter (well, maybe for a minute) but he'd be great as a backup, and if Fitz went out it'd be awesome if he could get the deep game going with Evans again. And remember, JP was ok before he got Jauroned.

The Bills need an experienced back up that is going to be happy as a back up, that limits the field considerably. Baltimore-is looking for a backup since Bulger is a FA, while Cincy-Washington-Tenn-Minn-Arizona-SF are all looking for an experienced starters

So that leaves as URFA

Marc Bulger

Kerry Collins

Seneca Wallace

Rex Grossman

Luke McCown

Billy Volek

Chad Pennington

Kyle Boller

Jim Sorgi

JP Losman

While some are RFA the Bills could make offers to those QB's

Bruce Gradkowski

Trent Edwards

Drew Stanton

Troy Smith

Dennis Dixon

Matt Moore

Matt Leinart

Tarvaris Jackson

Kellen Clemons

Tyler Thigpen

Brodie Croyle

I left off Payton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck for obvious reasons, gonna be interesting to see who Buffalo looks at and eventually brings in

Believe it or not if it were my choice my first thought would be Chad Pennington, then I thought about how bad that O line still is and thought about a younger more mobile QB....Vince Young isn't on the list but he just might be more useful then those others. The Bills had better look at someone who can run like Fitz can

Edited by Harvey lives

The Bills need an experienced back up that is going to be happy as a back up, that limits the field considerably. Baltimore-is looking for a backup since Bulger is a FA, while Cincy-Washington-Tenn-Minn-Arizona-SF are all looking for an experienced starters

So that leaves as URFA

Marc Bulger

Kerry Collins

Seneca Wallace

Rex Grossman

Luke McCown

Billy Volek

Chad Pennington

Kyle Boller

Jim Sorgi

JP Losman

While some are RFA the Bills could make offers to those QB's

Bruce Gradkowski

Trent Edwards

Drew Stanton

Troy Smith

Dennis Dixon

Matt Moore

Matt Leinart

Tarvaris Jackson

Kellen Clemons

Tyler Thigpen

Brodie Croyle

I left off Payton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck for obvious reasons, gonna be interesting to see who Buffalo looks at and eventually brings in

Believe it or not if it were my choice my first thought would be Chad Pennington, then I thought about how bad that O line still is and thought about a younger more mobile QB....Vince Young isn't on the list but he just might be more useful then those others. The Bills had better look at someone who can run like Fitz can

Seneca would be a sweet deal and we could make a seneca day in west seneca for him

True. I'm thinking the fact he was working out here with Lee would be a good indication that they are pretty tight still.

I guess the only reason why I'm thinking he would be an option is because with Fitz as the bona fide starter, we can't bring in a vet that is hungry to start. The last thing we need is a QB controversy. Losman is a backup, plain and simple. Perhaps Chan could make him into a decent one.

I don't understand why bringing competition at the most important position is a bad thing... not saying losman (had his chance didn't prove it - and I blame the organization more than him however) but vince young if available has the ability to challenge fitz which can only help the team, and if he ends up beating him out bc he's better that also helps the team. I don't want some aging vet at the end of his career I prefer someone who may turn out to be something. Dennis dixon also intrigues me as he could be had cheap (5th I believe someone mentioned) and has shown flashes when given p.t.