really interesting factoid about Trent Edwards and injuries

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37906/59/the-2011-quarterback-market?pg=2

10. Trent Edwards, Jaguars

Scouting Report: Perhaps the most injury-prone QB in football, Edwards has suffered an ailment of some sort every season since his senior year in high school. He has a mild case of Compartment Syndrome that causes tissue swelling and prevents proper blood-muscle flow for healing. Edwards has an adequate arm and athleticism, but poor pocket presence (possibly due to his injury history) and is only comfortable checking down to backs and underneath targets. In 33 career starts, the 27-year-old is 14-19 with a 60.5 completion rate but a 26:30 TD-to-INT ratio.

Availability: The Jaguars didn't tender Edwards before the March 3 deadline, effectively washing their hands of last year's in-season waiver pickup from Buffalo. It's worth noting that the Jets also put in a waiver claim last September, but Jacksonville "won out" because of its worse record. Also notable: 2010 Jaguars QBs coach Mike Shula now holds the same role in Carolina.

Prediction: Panthers on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

Compartment Syndrome: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002204/

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37906/59/the-2011-quarterback-market?pg=2

10. Trent Edwards, Jaguars

Scouting Report: Perhaps the most injury-prone QB in football, Edwards has suffered an ailment of some sort every season since his senior year in high school. He has a mild case of Compartment Syndrome that causes tissue swelling and prevents proper blood-muscle flow for healing. Edwards has an adequate arm and athleticism, but poor pocket presence (possibly due to his injury history) and is only comfortable checking down to backs and underneath targets. In 33 career starts, the 27-year-old is 14-19 with a 60.5 completion rate but a 26:30 TD-to-INT ratio.

Availability: The Jaguars didn't tender Edwards before the March 3 deadline, effectively washing their hands of last year's in-season waiver pickup from Buffalo. It's worth noting that the Jets also put in a waiver claim last September, but Jacksonville "won out" because of its worse record. Also notable: 2010 Jaguars QBs coach Mike Shula now holds the same role in Carolina.

Prediction: Panthers on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

Compartment Syndrome: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002204/

Other ailments Trent suffers from that were not listed:

-Noodleitis

-Beber Fever

-Checkdown syndrome

-Bad Vision

if you read the whole article, also worth noting that they see Thigpen as the best bet to come to Buffalo and backup Fitz....I wouldn't mind this at all, he was very good under Chan in KC, as long as we didn't have to give up much for him.

That chronic "Terrell Owens Dropping Every !@#$ing Thing That Came Near Him" Syndrome didn't help, either. Nor did that acute case of "Getting The **** Kicked Out Of Him in Arizona."

I think the Adrian Wilson hit altered his career.

That chronic "Terrell Owens Dropping Every !@#$ing Thing That Came Near Him" Syndrome didn't help, either. Nor did that acute case of "Getting The **** Kicked Out Of Him in Arizona."

You must be the last delusional supporter left. Please close your account now and never post to this board. LOL.

I heard he has bonus-eruptus, a rare condition where the skeleton tries to leave the body by leaping out of the mouth. Often confused with severe cases of skin failure.

Simpsons quote, nice!

You must be the last delusional supporter left. Please close your account now and never post to this board. LOL.

No, Owens couldn't catch the ball, and he got the **** kicked out of himself in Arizona. That's not support - that's an objective statement to the effect that a lot of things went into his horrific play his last season and a half.

That's a popularly held belief and I'm not disputing you…but how do you explain the fact that he had one of the best days of his career two weeks later against San Diego?

I know he had one of his best games at SD, but if you noticed, before the Wilson hit, Edwards would stay in the pocket to make a play, even if he knew he was going to take a hit. After the Wilson hit, that's when he really started checking it down, to avoid getting nailed.

I know he had one of his best games at SD, but if you noticed, before the Wilson hit, Edwards would stay in the pocket to make a play, even if he knew he was going to take a hit. After the Wilson hit, that's when he really started checking it down, to avoid getting nailed.

I was at that game. He looked great. Then it all went dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn hhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll.................

I heard he has bonus-eruptus, a rare condition where the skeleton tries to leave the body by leaping out of the mouth. Often confused with severe cases of skin failure.

Now your talking! All we need is a golf cart motor with a thousand volt capacitor!

Really? Owens didn't seem to have an issue catching passes from Fitzpatrick that year...

That's a popularly held belief and I'm not disputing you…but how do you explain the fact that he had one of the best days of his career two weeks later against San Diego?

I've always wondered that myself...

Not to be contrarian Jerry, but his rookie year YPA (generally considered the pertinent "does this guy check down?" stat) was 6.1. His best games as a rookie saw it increase to 8.4 vs. NYJ and 7.3 vs. Bal, while his worst games included a YPA of 4.9 vs. NE and 4.4 vs. Phi (not including the blizzard game vs. Cle).

In 2008, prior to the concussion, his overall YPA was 7.8, with a high of 9.6 coming vs. Jax and a low of 7.2 coming vs. Seattle. Post-concussion, his YPA only dropped to 7.0, and he still managed to hit highs of 8.7, 8.3, 8.5, and 7.7 against SD, the Jets, KC, and Denver.

If you ask me, the big difference in his pre and post-concussion play was that he had to face quality defenses, as opposed to Seattle, Jacksonville, Oakland, St. Louis, all of whom finished in the bottom 8 in the NFL in wins, and San Diego, who--at the time--had the worst defense in the NFL and fired then-coordinator Ted Cottrell after the Buffalo game.

Any relationship between his standing in the pocket longer before the Wilson hit compared to after it can be explained quite easily: the teams they played early that season were TERRIBLE. He actually had a pocket to stand in. As SJfan said, the SD game was his best that year. He also had solid games against KC and Denver...better games than he had during the winning streak...better games than he had in previous seasons. Look it up!

It would be fair to say he could have been better if he had more protection. Of course, that applies to ALL QBs...although no one seemed to want to believe a better O-line would help Fitz a year ago (it did). It also would be a reasonable argument to say Jauron/OC turmoil screwed the guy up. I don't believe this myself, but I'd happily avoid getting involved in that argument...both sides have a point. I also kind of doubt the compartment syndrome explains much of his troubles (specifically the checkdowns), but again, I have no desire to get into a back-and-forth about that. What I personally think is this: checking down was a young Trent's monkey trick. He figured out that when he did this he got a treat from his coaches, who thought he was wise beyond his years. It was, in effect, butt kissing. It was the one specific thing he did well. And he beat it into the ground, to the point that defenses could defend the Bills passing attack the same way they did the running game; both suffered and Trent didn't adapt. Somebody might get through to him, someday. In fact, I thought J-ville was a good place for him because the OC there likes the longball and might have forced him out of his rut.

Now here's the thing: I have about 140 posts on this site over the last two years, and an absurd number of them point out the very thing SJBillsFan said: the guy had the best game of his career immediately after the Wilson hit. SJBillsFan and dozens of other commenters have posted this, over and over and over. And here we are arguing this point again. A wise man I have a lot of respect for would call the type of argument that Trent hasn't been the same since the Wilson hit a "zombie lie". No matter how many times we show the Wilson hit effected Edwards for only one week, this will never die.

Edited by Red Squirrel