Michelle Invites Rapper for Poetry Reading

So in conclusion, you're okay with someone promoting cop killing to millions of people through widely distributed music as long as they promote other things that aren't about cop killing. Got it.

No its ok because Scorsese made a movie that was violent. Don't you see? Perfect logic :blink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its ok because Scorsese made a movie that was violent. Don't you see? Perfect logic :blink:

It seems context is lost on you too Dante...point was, nobody got too jazzed up about the film maker being invited to the White House...you could argue he has influenced as much violence in his "art" as Common has in his 5-minute song. But people like you, and LA, can't see anything beyond your own tastes.

Edited by Buftex

What's more, I think the Shakespeare Theater in DC should be shut down, because Romeo and Juliet promotes teenage sex and suicide, Hamlet and Macbeth the supernatural, Othello is CLEARLY racist in showing that the black man and Muslims are out to kill our women, and The Tempest...I don't know what that promotes, it's just weird...

But it all offends my white, upscale suburban 20th century attitudes, which are the only ones that count.

What's more, I think the Shakespeare Theater in DC should be shut down, because Romeo and Juliet promotes teenage sex and suicide, Hamlet and Macbeth the supernatural, Othello is CLEARLY racist in showing that the black man and Muslims are out to kill our women, and The Tempest...I don't know what that promotes, it's just weird...

But it all offends my white, upscale suburban 20th century attitudes, which are the only ones that count.

:P

It seems context is lost on you too Dante...point was, nobody got too jazzed up about the film maker being invited to the White House...you could argue he has influenced as much violence in his "art" as Common has in his 5-minute song. But people like you, and LA, can't see anything beyond your own tastes.

Common didn't sing a song about Billy Joe and Bobby Sue, two make-believe young lovers with nothing better to do. He sang a song that promoted and glorified a specific woman who murdered a specific cop, and who was then convicted of the crime and who subsequently ran away to Cuba. But you keep beating that Martin Scorcese link. You don't even realize you're THIS far away from arguing that the same should apply to Eric Clapton because he sang a song called "I Shot The Sheriff."

That said, I don't care what Common sings about. In fact, the entire topic is stupid as hell. The ONLY reason I bring it up is to extend the ever-evolving narrative that the current administration is quite possibly one of the most ridiculously mis-managed administrations I've ever watched in my lifetime. Some might even suggest they just act "stupidly."

Yes whites need to be more enlightened and understand cop killing is simply a cultural thing.

Sometimes the trivialities are more interesting and entertaining than the significant issues.

And to Buftex, illustration and advocation are not the same thing.

That is exaclty my point...thanks.

But some here are not, or cannot make that distinction, for whatever their reasons.

Edited by Buftex

That is exaclty my point...thanks.

But some here are not, or cannot make that distinction, for whatever their reasons.

So, it is National Law Enforcement week and the First Lady invites a rapper/poet to the Whitehouse that praises a cop killer in a "song", while also saying President Bush should be "burned". Makes perfect political sense. I guess she is just helping her husband to solidify his base. There is a giant disconnect with this administration. Do you think it is because of sheer arrogance or gross ignorance?

Did Charlie Manson kill anybody? Not to my knowledge.

Was Charles Manson ever invited to the White House? :rolleyes:

So, it is National Law Enforcement week and the First Lady invites a rapper/poet to the Whitehouse that praises a cop killer in a "song", while also saying President Bush should be "burned". Makes perfect political sense. I guess she is just helping her husband to solidify his base. There is a giant disconnect with this administration. Do you think it is because of sheer arrogance or gross ignorance?

You are right, there does seem to be a disconnect somewhere....

I think his point was that Laura Bush did...or something...I don't know...

This is a stupid !@#$ing topic.

It is a trivial topic for sure if you take it at face value. It is not something you would see though in other administrations. They are either incredibly arrogant or incredibly stupid, or both.

It is a trivial topic for sure if you take it at face value. It is not something you would see though in other administrations. They are either incredibly arrogant or incredibly stupid, or both.

Didn't George W. celebrate and honour Johnny Cash, a man who's written many a lyric about killing people? I mean, he said he once shot a man in Reno to watch him die.

As a fan of BOTH the Man in Black and Common, I think this whole debate is stupid.

Which is exactly my point. How unbelievably stupid must you be to invite to the White House a guy who promotes cop killing the exact same week police dedicate each year IN DC to honor cops who were killed in the line of duty.

I look forward to the next big WH brainchild; holding a memorial service for Robert Byrd on Martin Luther King Boulevard on Martin Luther King's birthday.

So a song writer writes a song and those lyrics become everything he stands for. Interesting take. Stupid, shallow, and an insult to the intelligence of reasonable people everywhere, but interesting none the less.

I'm glad I came across this idiotic thread because it forced me to research some other lyrics by Common, a performer I never would have cared to listen to as a matter of preference. I've never cared for the rap genre. But some of his words blew me away. As a poet, he reminds me very much of Bob Dylan (we should get into some things Dylan "advocated" in his lyrics as well some day).

At any rate, if people wish to make the lyrics to a song the sum total of what that writer is all about, then I choose his song, "G.O.D. (Gaining One's Definition)." It's interesting to read and contrast the works of artists as they evolve as people.