Just over one year ago JaMarcus Russell cut

Maybe he wasn't that talented. One good year of college ball.

Didn't have the talent of Newton or the physical capabilities.

He has the talent, he does not have the 'want to'. (should he have been the #1 overall pick? no, but he has talent)

Poor Jamarcus. Not only was he a major bust, but Gatorade also took a bath with their Jamarcus line of signature thirst quenchers: Purple Drank, the world's first codeine based sports beverage. Although Purple Drank has been clinically proven to slow your roll, it has also been linked to below average athletic performance and the urge to eat skittles on the playing field. Powerade's spinoff, Sizzurp Sport, was also poorly received in American markets.

Bad franchises can ruin young QB's. It also doesn't help that JaDoinkus battles weight and drug issues. This is a karma for Al Davis foaming at the mouth at one-dimensional players.

Jamarcus ruined his own career. Don't put the blame on anyone else.

Bad franchises can ruin young QB's. It also doesn't help that JaDoinkus battles weight and drug issues. This is a karma for Al Davis foaming at the mouth at one-dimensional players.

I think it's the other way around. Bad young QBs can ruin a franchise. I'm in the camp that you can't ruin a QB with talent. If he's good, he'll eventually get his chance & prove it. If he's bad, no matter where he was picked in the draft, he'll prove that too. The only way to ruin a QB is to put him into a spot that he gets a career ruining injury, Outside of injury, it's the QB who is lacking, not the coaching.

This is my evidence: No highly drafted QB, let go during or at the completion of his 1st contract, with the exception of Kerry Collins, who had an alcohol problem at the time, has ever done anything with any subsequent team. The 1st team didn't ruin the busts, their lack of talent or dedication ruined them. Now the ones in the ruined QB camp will say that the 1st team did irreparable damage. I totally disagree. If the guy was poorly coached & then coached up, his talent would come out. Look at the JP lovers-they really believed that with coaching, JP would thrive-but time has shown he's nothing more than a 3rd stringer & never will be a (decent) starter in the NFL. They thought the Bills ruined JP & Fassel could fix him. Yet, they totally ignored the fact that his 1st QB coach in Buffalo, Sam Wyche, was one of the most respected QB coaches around. They confused his being yanked out of the starting job with a head coach ruining a guy rather than accept the fact the guy's lack of talent forced his coaches hands.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Poor Jamarcus. Not only was he a major bust, but Gatorade also took a bath with their Jamarcus line of signature thirst quenchers: Purple Drank, the world's first codeine based sports beverage. Although Purple Drank has been clinically proven to slow your roll, it has also been linked to below average athletic performance and the urge to eat skittles on the playing field. Powerade's spinoff, Sizzurp Sport, was also poorly received in American markets.

I see you keep a close eye on the Sports/Energy Drink Industry.

There certainly was a lot of collateral damage in the aftermath of the JaMarcus Russell fall from grace.

Besides the drinks you mention, the energy shot maker, 5-Hour Energy cancelled the launch of their new opiate-based shot, 5-Hour Lethargy.

I think it's the other way around. Bad young QBs can ruin a franchise. I'm in the camp that you can't ruin a QB with talent. If he's good, he'll eventually get his chance & prove it. If he's bad, no matter where he was picked in the draft, he'll prove that too. The only way to ruin a QB is to put him into a spot that he gets a career ruining injury, Outside of injury, it's the QB who is lacking, not the coaching.

This is my evidence: No highly drafted QB, let go during or at the completion of his 1st contract, with the exception of Kerry Collins, who had an alcohol problem at the time, has ever done anything with any subsequent team. The 1st team didn't ruin the busts, their lack of talent or dedication ruined them. Now the ones in the ruined QB camp will say that the 1st team did irreparable damage. I totally disagree. If the guy was poorly coached & then coached up, his talent would come out. Look at the JP lovers-they really believed that with coaching, JP would thrive-but time has shown he's nothing more than a 3rd stringer & never will be a (decent) starter in the NFL. They thought the Bills ruined JP & Fassel could fix him. Yet, they totally ignored the fact that his 1st QB coach in Buffalo, Sam Wyche, was one of the most respected QB coaches around. They confused his being yanked out of the starting job with a head coach ruining a guy rather than accept the fact the guy's lack of talent forced his coaches hands.

I strongly agree with the point you're making. But there are some exceptions--albeit very rare exceptions. Steve Young was placed in a bad situation in Tampa Bay, didn't perform as well as the Bucs had hoped, and was ultimately traded away to the 49ers. Clearly the bad situation and bad experience in Tampa Bay didn't "ruin" him--as his subsequent Hall of Fame career would demonstrate. But it did show that a young quarterback, when placed in a terrible situation, won't necessarily be able to show his full potential.

But for every Steve Young story, there are probably two or three dozen Joey Harrington stories. Yes, Detroit was a bad situation for a QB. Yes, it's possible the badness of that situation contributed to Harrington's poor play. But ultimately Harrington has proved to be nothing more than a backup/marginal starter, whether for the Lions, the Dolphins, or the Falcons.

One difference between Steve Young and Harrington is that Bill Walsh saw significant promise in Young, even despite his struggles in Tampa Bay. He was convinced enough of this that he was willing to trade a second round pick for him. While not every quarterback Walsh liked worked out well, in this particular case Walsh's instincts were spot-on. In contrast, the Dolphins were only willing to trade away a sixth round pick for Harrington (which could increase to a fifth rounder conditional on performance). Most other first round QB busts aren't even worth that in a trade. Ryan Leaf was released outright by the Chargers, Akili Smith was released by the Bengals, and J.P. Losman was released by the Bills. It's worth noting that Harrington achieved significantly more in his post-Lions career than those other QBs had achieved after parting ways with the teams that drafted them.

No one, excluding a segment of posters here who wanted to sign him.

PTR

What's not to like about a 300lb quarterback, with a 50% completion percentage and an addiction to opiates?

Jamarcus isn't inaccurate. His receivers just aren't fast enough to keep up with his rocket arm. If Oakland could just find a few receivers with some speed, Russel would have been a probowl caliber QB. I've heard of him.

He was in the wrong system in Oakland. Perhaps the Alabama penal system will be a better fit.

Edited by Jauronimo

I am not suggesting that Newton will lack the drive or have the off the file issues like Russel but I am glad the Bills were not tempted to draft him. I abhor the thought of risking a very high pick on a one-year wonder. Again a different situation but hopefully the Bills learned this lesson with Maybinot, a guy likely to go down as one of the worst draft busts in Bills history.

He has the talent, he does not have the 'want to'. (should he have been the #1 overall pick? no, but he has talent)

There's more than just arm when it comes to talent. He's only ever shown that he can throw a mile.

There's more than just arm when it comes to talent. He's only ever shown that he can throw a mile.

I think you fail to fully comprehend the sheer magnificence that is Jamarcus' arm. The man can throw the ball 80 yards from his knees. FROM HIS KNEES! He has done more from his knees than any NFL QB since Jeff Garcia.

I think you fail to fully comprehend the sheer magnificence that is Jamarcus' arm. The man can throw the ball 80 yards from his knees. FROM HIS KNEES! He has done more from his knees than any NFL QB since Jeff Garcia.

So can a JUGS machine, and score higher on a Wonderlic.

PTR