5 reasons to re-sign Drayton Florence

Terrence McGee isn't done. He was on the show a few weeks ago and even talked about how he misses returning kicks and wouldn't mind getting the chance again.

I won't say anything about Florence because my views are jaded by being inside the locker room. Good-enough football player, but McKelvin is in his third year. Should be alright.

Corner is by no means dog meat, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jairus Byrd might slide into some slot coverage if any one of the new safeties are promising enough.... at least situationally.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrence McGee isn't done. He was on the show a few weeks ago and even talked about how he misses returning kicks and wouldn't mind getting the chance again.

I won't say anything about Florence because my views are jaded by being inside the locker room. Good-enough football player, but McKelvin is in his third year. Should be alright.

Corner is by no means dog meat, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jairus Byrd might slide into some slot coverage if any one of the new safeties are promising enough.... at least situationally.

Donte Whitner had 140 tackles last year, almost 3 times as many as well. Heck, Poz had 151. You can see who handled a majority of the work.

Please figure out when the majority of his production was during the game, you'll find garbage time & out of reach games. Performing when it doesn't matter was a hallmark of the defense last year, regardless of padding stats.

20% of his total tackles came in the first game, where was he the other 15 games? 95% of the tackles were solo after they blew by our O-line, so he had a line on the play. All his PD (Passes defended) came in losing efforts except for one game (Cin). Cincy was a huge stat padder for him & the rest of the team, as you can see. They also drafted next to us, so figure we beat up a suck team to find credit at the end of the year. Please feel free to read between the lines & draw your own conclusione before challenging my findings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4504

I think the fact that you are rating a CB based on tackles and PD is your first problem. Nnamdi Asomugha probably won't even find a team next year with his horrible stats :rolleyes:

Revis had double the tackles & people avoided him like the plague:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

After game one, Whitner averages 3.75 tackles a game. That is not a solid year, nor does it deserve a top dollar return. This is my opinion as well, so you'll have a hard time debating me he worked hard during great times. Our team sucked & the defense was ran over, in all aspects. We didn't draft all this defensive help because of our depth or talent & if they planned on resigning Whitner for top dollar, they might have approached him during the season being so much under the cap.

He gets credit for being better than the rest of the terrible defense, you don't pay big for that.

Who's talking about Whitner?

Also, I wasn't debating contract terms, just whether he was worth resigning. I assume Revis would make a heck of a lot more than Florence.

I can't say I was thrilled with the Aaron Williams' pick but it is growing on me. I really like Florence but then you need to realize something. Corners make a ton of money on the open market. Is it better to let Nate Clements walk or pay him the insane money he got?

The one good thing you can say about the front office is their ability to draft corners.

I agree Simon and I think Nix does too. He is still a productive player and he's a good veteran presence in the locker room. I wish he could cut down the penalties but he's an agressive corner, sometimes pays off, sometimes he gets flaged.

20% of his total tackles came in the first game, where was he the other 15 games? 95% of the tackles were solo after they blew by our O-line.....

read between the lines & draw your own conclusione before challenging my findings:

No offense but I'm not interested in your findings because my conclusions are drawn from a ball field not a stat sheet

Didn't realize you were one of those fellas that liked math more than football. I'll trouble you no further.

So lets resign Drayton Florence, but let Jabari Greer walk. Makes sense. :wallbash:

You're tossing that irrelevant non-sequitur at the wrong guy considering that I was begging the Bills staff to dress the kid and put him on the field 2 years before you could spell his name.

I agree Simon and I think Nix does too. He is still a productive player and he's a good veteran presence in the locker room. I wish he could cut down the penalties but he's an agressive corner, sometimes pays off, sometimes he gets flaged.

That's the biggest issue with his game right now and half the time he's getting flagged for marginal calls solely on reputation.

I don't like it but as long as he's not doing it on 3rd down I can live with it.

Radio shows and locker rooms aren't the best ways to predict a guy's effectiveness; I'll stick with what we see on the field.

And considering McKelvin kept getting kicked back to nickel last year, I don't think the coaches are real sure about him either.

Byrd in the slot is an interesting idea but this defense is already going to have enough varied personnel groupings to be fooling with experimental concepts, imo.

The Bills have spent enough time creating holes for which they then need to commit limited assets to refill. If the kind of player you want is already in the neighborhood, there's no point in going out of town looking for somebody else.

This says it all. I agree 100%.

So lets resign Drayton Florence, but let Jabari Greer walk. Makes sense. :wallbash:

As SJBF said, it's a different regime. But Greer has missed an average of 5 games a year for the past 3 years.

:yeahthat: i never understood this board's love affair for reggie corner. whenever i watched him, he underwhelmed.

The love affair with corner is nothing compared to the love affair with Youboty. Corner has at least made plays on the field...

Corner is what you expect out of a dime/situational player. Nothing more nothing less.

I agree with all the points made by the OP...Not that this says much, but Florence was probably the best defender on our team last year. Certainly the best DB. If he leaves we have NO top level corners. Mcgee used to be, but can't stay on the field, and hasn't played at a high level in a few years...McKelvin? Just another under performing Bills high draft pick. Way too many big plays against, and lots of penalties.

When was the last time the Bills spent any real money to keep a good FA? They have the money, they definitely have the cap space...but we all know how this will play out...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Please figure out when the majority of his production was during the game, you'll find garbage time & out of reach games. Performing when it doesn't matter was a hallmark of the defense last year, regardless of padding stats.

20% of his total tackles came in the first game, where was he the other 15 games? 95% of the tackles were solo after they blew by our O-line, so he had a line on the play. All his PD (Passes defended) came in losing efforts except for one game (Cin). Cincy was a huge stat padder for him & the rest of the team, as you can see. They also drafted next to us, so figure we beat up a suck team to find credit at the end of the year. Please feel free to read between the lines & draw your own conclusione before challenging my findings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4504

Tackling stats for a cb...lol

He was easily our best CB the last two years. If you disagree, A: you don't watch many games. B: you're clueless, go away.

McGee will probably miss 3-10 games. Williams needs to learn, I don't want leodis teaching him anything ( I'm not sure williams speaks Mckelvbonics), corner sucks. Sign him please!

No need for the 5 reasons OP. Drayton was easily the best CB on the team last year. If we don't keep him I'll be upset. This is the perfect time for Nix to prove to fans that they are committed to do anything to make a winner. Sign DF and drop Whitner. If it's the other way around I think I'm gonna vomit.

Can you elaborate?? Jaded as in you like the guy or you don't?