is coca cola toxic?

Pete

And I could be wrong, but my understanding is BPA is in most plastic bottles, including Coke.

As I remember from the time, that BPA "scare" was related to thicker plastics e.g. Nalgene bottles and some brands of baby/toddler containers.

Guest three3

As I remember from the time, that BPA "scare" was related to thicker plastics e.g. Nalgene bottles and some brands of baby/toddler containers.

i seem to remember a news story from a few years ago stating it was also used in canned foods

I'm about to start working on a project that involves something with BPA. In our introductory meeting the woman in charge was talking about how the plastic jugs at the water cooler had traces of BPA, but now they have newer ones that have been cleared. I think I'm going to start paying a little closer attention now to make sure I get these details right.

I have read plenty on BPA, thank you. BPA leeches. My problem is this:

So then you're well aware that the BPA toxicity measures are based on studies that inject BPA under the skin of mice in amounts 400 times greater than the average person ingests orally, and that mice and humans metabolize BPA differently?

Or, to rephrase it more in line with my original point: you'd have to drink 400 cans (assuming you're of average weight - I'd probably have to drink 600 cans) of Coke to get the single one-time dose that lab studies give via a completely different route to an animal with an incomparable metabolic mechanism. And you would have to drink that much EACH DAY to maintain any toxic effect (since the human body metabolizes and excretes 99% of BPA within 24 hours - significantly quicker than in mice). I'm pretty sure that that amount of Coke itself would be far more toxic than the BPA would ever be.

But if you disagree, then I'll tell you what: I'll willingly consume seven grams of BPA (I'd suggest dissolved in a quart or two of water, for comparison's sake), if you'll drink 400 cans of Coke over the same time. We'll see who comes off better.

And I could be wrong, but my understanding is BPA is in most plastic bottles, including Coke.

BPA's used in polycarbonate plastic; soda bottles are polyethylene and do not use BPA.

years of sloppy experience. :flirt:

jw

As a public service announcement from a former bartender, you might be in a bar later today during the Kentucky Derby. You'll be tempted to order a Mint Julip. Don't be that guy. If you're really trying to get in the mood, get a Maker's Mark double, neat or on the rocks. If you want a real treat, ask if they have Pappy Van Winkle and do the same. Sip slowly.

Thank you & you're welcome.

So are you ok with DDT? How about pesticides?

No. But the enviro has been getting better. Almost "too good." Why do you think we have invasive species? One problem always leads to another problem. I suggest a happy medium.

I see bald eagles roosting in South Chicago... Really... Just miles from known Superfund sites.

Cranberry juice is better. There's an acid in cranberries (I forget what) that's effective at dissolving kidney stones. Have you had a kidney stone yet? They suck...a lot. I've had women tell me that kidney stones hurt more than childbirth. :ph34r:

On the other hand, if you want lots of kidney stones...drink sodas.

A calcium oxylate stone wouldn't be affected by cranberry juice. That's the really hard kidney stone that slices through the kidney as it moves towards the tube that takes it to the bladder; and that's the one that feels like you've been stabbed. The calcium oxylate has very low solubility (6.8 x 10-4 g/ 100g H2O @25C), so once you have one, it's either tearing it's way out or it needs to be broken up (via lithotripsy is a common method). I can believe that one is more painful than childbirth, and have been told that by a couple of women. (If childbirth is worse than that, then everybody should get mom something REALLY nice today.)

A uric acid based stone is softer and is soluble (slightly soluble?, don't have data on that one) so it can be shrunk by drinking lots of fluids, which makes it easier to pass. That one feels like somebody punched you in the kidney, so I'd guess that it doesn't hurt as bad as childbirth.

Don't know about the other types of stones, but those are the 2 big ones. Maybe the cranberry juice would help w/ some of the others. Vitamin C is very good at helping to prevent kidney stones, so an orange a day is helpful.