Chan/Buddy might need more to turn this team around

LGB

Going 2-14 and getting Andrew Luck would be the best thing that has happened to this team in 20 years.

Looking at the 2011 schedule, nothing really jumps out as being a somewhat easier game for the Bills. Maybe the Bengals before the bye and the Broncos or Titans after?

at Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

New England Patriots

at Cincinnati Bengals

Philadelphia Eagles

at New York Giants

Bye

Washington Redskins

New York Jets

at Dallas Cowboys

at Miami Dolphins

at New York Jets

Tennessee Titans

at San Diego Chargers

Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos

at New England Patriots

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning is a FA. We should sign him. 4 years, 150 Mil, with 100 Mil Guaranteed in the 1st year (as there will likely be no cap this year).

Looking at the 2011 schedule, nothing really jumps out as being a somewhat easier game for the Bills. Maybe the Bengals before the bye and the Broncos or Titans after?

at Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

New England Patriots

at Cincinnati Bengals

Philadelphia Eagles

at New York Giants

Bye

Washington Redskins

New York Jets

at Dallas Cowboys

at Miami Dolphins

at New York Jets

Tennessee Titans

at San Diego Chargers

Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos

at New England Patriots

I just want to see them play well. Im not expecting many wins. If they lose I hope we just see some young guys like our top 5 draft picks, Moats, Wood, D Bell all playing and improving. Every lose would be a little bit of a win if we get Luck. We just arent going to win a lot of games. Miami and the Jets I think are our best games to win, besides the ones you pointed out.

If (IF) our defense manages to be around 5th overall then the offense will be much better by default too, simply because points on the board are of higher value then having to go in a put a TD on the board every other set set of downs.

We were 4-12 last year... small market, undesirable location, etc. It will be very difficult for the Bills to ever become a good/great team again. Even if we spend money on players, they will likely be the wrong players as we will just throw money at whoever is willing to take it vs who is talented and *wants* to be here.

We need "help" in almost every position.

If we get to .500 again in the next 10 years, I'll be surprised.

I agree that the Bills seem to be under the impression or have the idea that you don't need a quality experienced LT to protect your QB's blind-spot and really haven't gone out of their way to help Trent Edwards or Fitz.

In Edwards case, you had a guy that held the ball too long behind a bad OL. This scenario could have been made into another TV series like "the most dangerous job". Edwards just got pummeled in Buffalo and is now probably only one Pat LaFontaine hit away from another concussion and out of football for good with the Jags.

I have to disagree with your take on Edwards. Edwards got the ball out quickly because he knew he was going to take serious damage if he did not. (The fact that he still got a few concussions is incredible and a strong argument as to why the Bills front office, one that continues even now to go without passable talent to protect the flanks of the OL, earned the skepticism it gets.) Unfortunately, that meant most of his passes were measured in inches, not yards. Since the ball really never left the vicinity, opposing defenses could stack the box and chew up the "offense" easily.

To the OP. There is an old adage, "if you aren't improving then you are regressing." The Bills spent virtually their entire draft on the defense, but it is also true that the offense was near the bottom of the NFL last year as well. The adage holds some truth to it because the opposition in the NFL is very good at what they do. So, if you're plan is just to come out and do the same thing you did last year, then you're just making it easy for them. Indeed, they probably already have a plan to stop it. OTOH, perhaps the Bills plan to add to the offense in free agency, though Buddy has said he's not interested in free agency many times.

We're .500 this year. No doubt. I am happy with that. We'll only get better.

Wow, .500? That's sad. I want playoffs or bust. That's what's wrong with your thinking and the powers that be at OBD. The Bills CAN turn this thing around, THIS SEASON. It's called Free Agency. It means you may have to overpay to bring in All-Pro talent to make this a better team, to bring leadership, and to bring in players with an attitude of been there, done that.

You can draft all the talent in the world. You still need leadership on the field to bring this team around. There are no players on this team who have been to the playoffs or players I see that bring that leadership. The team is completely and utterly devoid of it, and that's the Bills downfall.

I expect them to be a better team, but not a playoff team, unless they go against their thought process and bring in Free Agents to help turn this team around. It's the only way the Bills will improve.

I have to disagree with your take on Edwards. Edwards got the ball out quickly because he knew he was going to take serious damage if he did not. (The fact that he still got a few concussions is incredible and a strong argument as to why the Bills front office, one that continues even now to go without passable talent to protect the flanks of the OL, earned the skepticism it gets.) Unfortunately, that meant most of his passes were measured in inches, not yards. Since the ball really never left the vicinity, opposing defenses could stack the box and chew up the "offense" easily.

To the OP. There is an old adage, "if you aren't improving then you are regressing." The Bills spent virtually their entire draft on the defense, but it is also true that the offense was near the bottom of the NFL last year as well. The adage holds some truth to it because the opposition in the NFL is very good at what they do. So, if you're plan is just to come out and do the same thing you did last year, then you're just making it easy for them. Indeed, they probably already have a plan to stop it. OTOH, perhaps the Bills plan to add to the offense in free agency, though Buddy has said he's not interested in free agency many times.

I still think the offense will be improved. The Oline will have a year of experience playing together in Chan's system, Fitz will get the bulk of first team reps in the preseason, we get Easley back, and despite being a late round pick I would hope Hairston can improve our RT situation. I don't expect any drastic strides on offense, but steady improvement none the less.

I still think the offense will be improved. The Oline will have a year of experience playing together in Chan's system, Fitz will get the bulk of first team reps in the preseason, we get Easley back, and despite being a late round pick I would hope Hairston can improve our RT situation. I don't expect any drastic strides on offense, but steady improvement none the less.

I posted that same sentiment about the OL way back when Jim Kelly was still the QB. Then, it even seemed fairly plausible after the OL started playing well in December that they should've built on that for the next year. But, the reality was that they came out flatter than ever the next season.

I do anticipate that the run defense will take some strides forward this year (if there is football). That was the focus of this draft.

It would be great to see more of Spiller and Roscoe was improving before he got hurt, but I agree with others that it is likely the Bills come out with a couple more wins this year.

at Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

New England Patriots

at Cincinnati Bengals

Philadelphia Eagles

at New York Giants

Bye

Washington Redskins

New York Jets

at Dallas Cowboys

at Miami Dolphins

at New York Jets

Tennessee Titans

at San Diego Chargers

Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos

at New England Patriots

Chiefs are a farce haven't heard anyone say anything but, Raiders Bengals still a mess, skins about the same, cowboys a wildcard 2 games against dolphins both winable titans broncos also able to get that's 9 if you can get to 9 catch someone flat or pull an upset and were at 10

The defense in this draft made us a couple wins better. If there is a free agent signing period we might get a game better there as well. Maybe Steve Johnson doesn't drop a winning TD pass and there's another win. It's trending up.

PTR

So you're saying 7-9...hmm, unfamiliar territory for this organization and these fans.

D2D

EDIT: checked that, missed one, 8-8...yes I can live with that.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

So you're saying 7-9...hmm, unfamiliar territory for this organization and these fans.

D2D

EDIT: checked that, missed one, 8-8...yes I can live with that.

Predicting anything above that gets you painted as a kool-aid drinker. I'm pretty confident (I usually am) that the Bills will be very competitive with a revamped D and the same offense (minus injuries, plus Marcus Easly) as last year.

PTR

I posted that same sentiment about the OL way back when Jim Kelly was still the QB. Then, it even seemed fairly plausible after the OL started playing well in December that they should've built on that for the next year. But, the reality was that they came out flatter than ever the next season.

I do anticipate that the run defense will take some strides forward this year (if there is football). That was the focus of this draft.

I agree that we shouldn't expect the OL to significantly improve until or unless talent is added. Unless Hairston proves to be a fourth round steal, I don't expect a whole lot of improvement until next year.

You've also raised an interesting possibility about the potential for a lockout in 2011. A lockout like that could help the Bills in two ways:

1) During the last collective bargaining agreement, the players made very significant gains. This was largely because the owners of large market teams sided with the players (who wanted a higher salary cap), not with the owners of small market teams. A lockout likely means that the owners will gain back the ground they lost a few years ago.

In the late '90s, the Bills were in salary cap trouble. These last few years, they haven't come anywhere close to sniffing the salary cap, in large part because increases in the players' percentage make it harder for small market teams to compete financially. Reducing the salary cap would reduce the gap between what the Bills can spend and what teams like the Cowboys and Redskins can spend.

2) The Bills would pick third overall. Carolina would have the first overall pick, and would have spent the first overall pick a year ago on Cam Newton. Without an NFL season, they (presumably) wouldn't be far along at all in the process of figuring out that Cam Newton will be a bust. They'd be looking to trade down. At third overall, Buffalo would have to be a very tempting trade partner for them. Assuming, of course, that the Bills were willing to offer the right price for the Andrew Luck pick. (Which they very well should be!)

Chiefs are a farce haven't heard anyone say anything but, Raiders Bengals still a mess, skins about the same, cowboys a wildcard 2 games against dolphins both winable titans broncos also able to get that's 9 if you can get to 9 catch someone flat or pull an upset and were at 10

The 2011 home opener (hopefully) will provide us with some indication of possible improvements with our run defense - against a very good running offense (Darren McFadden and Michael Bush).

I agree. Edwards did try and get the ball out as quick as he could, hence all the checking down. Lets not forget that he was in Turk Schonerts- AVP's offense with with some deep passing plays called (5-7 step drops and no time to throw) and his receivers not getting open or being in touch with the QB.Plus having crappy O lines that didn't allow a QB to have more then 3 seconds to deliver the ball. Pretty tough to throw a 7 step drop back pass in 3 seconds, AVP & Schonert never did figure that out.

I used to watch Josh Reed run his route, the QB looking directly at Reed... the DB slips by Reed and starts heading to the QB on a dog... Josh Reed keeps looking straight ahead and never even bothers to see if the DB is still with him or not, a total complete failure on a hot read. What a worthless WR to have....kind of amazed he stayed with the Bills for as long as he did. Looking back to DJ's teams and their lack of offensive ingenuity I'm surprised they won as many games as they did.

I look at teams like Green Bay- Baltimore-Pittsburgh and see them draft for the O line (LT-RT)in the first round all the time. Is it that difficult for the Bills FO to understand that the best offensive line players the Bills have obtained in the last few year were the #1 & #2 draft picks they used on Levitre and Wood,both guards! Now, if only they would draft some tackles in the first and second the Bills might have a decent O line at some point, plus a first rounder on a TE wouldn't hurt either.

The 2011 home opener (hopefully) will provide us with some indication of possible improvements with our run defense - against a very good running offense (Darren McFadden and Michael Bush).

Also in the first two weeks is Kansas City who rushed for 274 yards against us last year.

Yeah the Raiders are no "mess," that's a solid football team that went 6-4 over their last ten and swept all three division opponents in 2010.

Would be a nice win for the boys in blue...

Edited by Big Bad Boone