Chan/Buddy might need more to turn this team around

LGB

Despite the fact that Buddy Nix recently mentioned that the Bills don’t have as many needs and most people think, it remains to be seen if the Bills have enough talent to improve to the point where Chan and Buddy will keep their jobs and not be another exit in the Bills staffing carousel.

Every NFL team seems to have deficiencies or areas of improvement on offense, defense and special teams. But sometimes it comes down to two things to be successful and overcome deficiencies: how good your QB is and if you have a pass-rush. Take care of these two positions and it takes some of the pressure off the other areas.

Green Bay is an example of this - as they were not a perfect team last year (could not run the ball), but look at what they were able to do with a great QB and pass rusher in Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews.

Historically, he Bills have only been competitive when they have had a better than average “franchise” QB and have been able to put pressure on the opposing QB.

This formula for winning is nothing new. Put just enough talent around a great QB to allow your team to score a lot of points. This forces the other team to take more chances to keep pace, which in turn, allows you to take more chances with a good pass rushing defense. This is the design for many teams like New Orleans, New England, Green Bay and San Diego to name a few.

Ralph Wilson said last year: “Quarterback is the top priority. We have to get some talent and the search for talent begins at quarterback.”

Well, the Bills have not had much success finding the type of QB that can take a team on his shoulders and move the chains down the field. The Bills haven't had a “franchise” quarterback since Jim Kelly and since that time, nine different QBs have started at least eight games. And besides Aaron Schobel, the Bills have not had much success generating a pass-rush.

Yes, the Bills have been plugging holes like they did this year, but they seem to be just treading water without building around the two major ingredients.

The Bills have not been able to benefit from their many years of sub-500 play that has put them closer to the top in draft choices (of course, they have not been helped with flameout high draft choices like Maybin and McCargo) and missed on Trent Edwards and JP Losman.

The other thing that does not help the Bills is that they have been changing their coaching staff every three years since Marv Levy. Just when one regime has “their” players in place, another staff comes and starts the process over again.

Ralph Wilson also had two words for Bills fans last year: “Pain and Patience”. I’m good with the patience part if Ralph, at 92 years old, or whoever might buy this team will do the same.

If we now have football savvy people running the Bills instead of marketing guys and clueless coaches on game days, then let’s try to give this staff the chance to assess the QB position and more than three years to get this thing headed in the right direction.

Go Bills!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that Buddy Nix recently mentioned that the Bills don’t have as many needs and most people think, it remains to be seen if the Bills have enough talent to improve to the point where Chan and Buddy will keep their jobs and not be another exit in the Bills staffing carousel.

Every NFL team seems to have deficiencies or areas of improvement on offense, defense and special teams. But sometimes it comes down to two things to be successful and overcome deficiencies: how good your QB is and if you have a pass-rush. Take care of these two positions and it takes some of the pressure off the other areas.

Green Bay is an example of this - as they were not a perfect team last year (could not run the ball), but look at what they were able to do with a great QB and pass rusher in Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews.

Historically, he Bills have only been competitive when they have had a better than average “franchise” QB and have been able to put pressure on the opposing QB.

This formula for winning is nothing new. Put just enough talent around a great QB to allow your team to score a lot of points. This forces the other team to take more chances to keep pace, which in turn, allows you to take more chances with a good pass rushing defense. This is the design for many teams like New Orleans, New England, Green Bay and San Diego to name a few.

Ralph Wilson said last year: “Quarterback is the top priority. We have to get some talent and the search for talent begins at quarterback.”

Well, the Bills have not had much success finding the type of QB that can take a team on his shoulders and move the chains down the field. The Bills haven't had a “franchise” quarterback since Jim Kelly and since that time, nine different QBs have started at least eight games. And besides Aaron Schobel, the Bills have not had much success generating a pass-rush.

Yes, the Bills have been plugging holes like they did this year, but they seem to be just treading water without building around the two major ingredients.

The Bills have not been able to benefit from their many years of sub-500 play that has put them closer to the top in draft choices (of course, they have not been helped with flameout high draft choices like Maybin and McCargo) and missed on Trent Edwards and JP Losman.

The other thing that does not help the Bills is that they have been changing their coaching staff every three years since Marv Levy. Just when one regime has “their” players in place, another staff comes and starts the process over again.

Ralph Wilson also had two words for Bills fans last year: “Pain and Patience”. I’m good with the patience part if Ralph, at 92 years old, or whoever might buy this team will do the same.

If we now have football savvy people running the Bills instead of marketing guys and clueless coaches on game days, then let’s try to give this staff the chance to assess the QB position and more than three years to get this thing headed in the right direction.

Go Bills!

I don't expect a areat improvement this year, but I think 3-4 more wins is possible. Things should really start coming together for us after next season (which would be year three of CHIX) especially if we land a top flight QB. If Ralph gave them a "get to the playoffs or else" deadline, I think it would be after the 4th season-- we are going into season two. Of course, this is assuming continued improvement. If we go 2-14 this year all bets are off..... but I don't see that happening

Edited by saundena

I would just like to point out a couple of things

- We were dead last against the run last year

- We were in nearly EVERY game we played last ear......fought till the very end

- We sustained A LOT of injuries....especially to our O Line......we had to be getting close to the record of players on injured reserve

- We were implementing a 3-4 defense for the first time even though we did not have the personnel to run it

Now take all that stuff....throw it in a pot...and stir it up a bit

Bills the comeback team of the NFL this year

Per Chix: It's going to be interesting who the Bills bring in...I'm scanning through the free agents and possible trades list-- who knows...could be a young guy or could be an old guy?

Pat Devlin, Kolb, Mcnabb, Palmer, Thigpen, Croyle, Hasselbeck, Garrard...many more possibilities. All we know is there bringing in one to two QB's to compete--its going to be interesting!

To the OP, you are citing the two hardest positions in the NFL to fill ....a great QB and great pass rusher. Lets face it every team in the NFL wants an Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews as very few teams have either. Rodgers is an exceptional QB with pinpoint accuracy and an amazing ability to escape the opposing pass rush, but he wasn't able to do that all year as he was concussed against Detroit. That lone concussion could have been severe and caused him to miss more then the one game, what happens then, GB doesn't even make the playoffs much less win the SB. I think GB realized they need to protect their super star QB better if they want to make a return trip to the SB, and drafted for more O line help, an OT-WR-RB with their first 3 picks.

Kinda makes you think about why GB drafted a WR with that 2nd round draft pick as they already have an amazing WR corps, and a brilliant young TE who as hurt most of last year. You mentioned that GB didn't have a great ground game, they could run the ball, they just weren't dominate at doing it. So as good as that offense was they spent their first 3 draft picks on improving it.

Now look back at the team that won the SB the year before in the NO Saints, this year they weren't as balanced on offense due to RB injuries and were forced to have Drew Brees shoulder more of the offensive load, he ended up throwing more INT's and the team didn't win as much. You cite a great QB and pass rusher, I think its more that you need a balanced offense and good a defense overall. Granted a great pass rush is important but it can be more then one lone player, the Saints and NY Giants can bring pressure from their front four, plus blitzing the LB's or DB's.

Looking at how far Buffalo is from have a good defense that can bring pressure from the front four and also blitz with a LB or DB. Then having a balanced offense that can make a 3rd down running or throwing when needed. There is no doubt the Bills are STILL lacking many many players in almost every area, about the only solid area on the current team is the kickers.

Buffalo still needs an top talent on the O line- RT-LT-G and a dominate TE that can block and be a deep threat.They are still lacking a good backup RB that can both block and find the hole, and a back up QB that has some game experience. Consider GB's receiving corps vs Buffalo's, are you kidding me...The Bills have somewhat decent receivers in Evans-Parrish-Johnson, Lee Evans doesn't catch many balls for being the premier WR, no TE, one RB who is older for RB's a scrub RT, and an average LT who gets beat when it counts the most. Plus, I'm not sold on on either Shawn Merriman or Chris Kelsay being a dominate OLB's, nor am I sold on both DE's.

Bottom line: the Bills need to be smart and aggressive in free agency when it opens and also with the un drafted players. I can't stress enough how important it is for Buffalo to fix that O line, find a TE and back up QB & RB, then perhaps a OLB and DE in free agency. If the Bills can keep Fitz upright and healthy and not running for his life every play and fix the run defense they might just win more then they lose. Lotta stuff to fix if they are gonna try and do it just by the draft, then consider not one player is starting from last years draft on a really bad 4-12 team. If the Bills fail to beef up the O line and Fitz gets a serious injury early...Andrew Luck here we come!

I know we won a few more games in 2009 than last year but there was a no quit fight in the guys last year. I wasnt on board at all w hiring Chan and even Buddy for that matter. But I do think they are the right guys for the job. I'm glad they didnt pick a QB just to pick one or to appease the fans. They didnt believe what they were looking for was there.....

No "franchise" QB has ever performed as such w/o a good OL. The Rams managed to win one year w/o a defense, but that was a huge exception. That magical QB may come to your team, but until he does, build a great team with a QB like Fitz who won't lose games for you. I have to wonder how Tom Brady does on a team w/o a good OL.

We're .500 this year. No doubt. I am happy with that. We'll only get better.

The defense in this draft made us a couple wins better. If there is a free agent signing period we might get a game better there as well. Maybe Steve Johnson doesn't drop a winning TD pass and there's another win. It's trending up.

PTR

I was listening to sports talk radio today here in Cali and one of the ESPN announcers made several points worth repeating. He essentially said that teams usually have a huge fall off in ability and success from their 1st to 2nd string quarterback. Unlike the teams of the past built on defensive line pressure and running the ball (Giants come to mind), the successful teams of the future will be built on the Offensive line and their ability to protect their starting QB.

He cited the fact that 85% of the playoff teams over some stretch of the last few years (3-4?) have had their 1st string QB start at least 14 games. He also used the Pats, Pack and Colts as examples of team following this trend to build their Oline through the recent draft to protect their QBs. I have always been a big believer that success starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Hopefully our O line will be healthy and play better this year.

Edited by Fastro

Go Bills!

The above is a very good and well thought-out post. We need more posts like it on these boards.

I'd like to expand on a point you made. You wrote: "But sometimes it comes down to two things to be successful and overcome deficiencies: how good your QB is and if you have a pass-rush." I'd like to expand upon a third component as well: the offensive line; and specifically its interrelationship with the quarterback.

I think you and I can agree that no quarterback can achieve much while lying on his back. Every quarterback needs at least some pass protection to be successful. But the amount of pass protection a QB requires to succeed will vary from one quarterback to the next. The below list should help illustrate this point.

Minimal pass protection required: Aaron Rodgers

Moderate pass protection required: Tom Brady

High level of pass protection required: Drew Bledsoe

Very high level of pass protection required: Rob Johnson

Tom Brady (for example) doesn't need much pass protection to be effective. But if you take away the moderate amount of pass protection he needs, you'll completely change the complexion of New England's offense. Similarly, there were times when Rob Johnson was a very effective QB. Those times occurred most often when Tony Boselli was protecting his blind side. In Buffalo, the combination of a QB who needed a lot of pass protection to be effective, and an OL in the bottom third of the league, meant that the Bills' offense often faltered when Johnson was under center. Rob Johnson might have had a much better career if Bill from NYC had been in charge of the Bills' drafts in the late '90s. No defensive backs would have been taken before the seventh round (if even then), but the problems with the offensive line would have been fixed!

While you should seek to have an offensive line that's as good as possible, you need to at least make it good enough to provide your quarterback with however much pass protection he usually needs. In some cases, such as that of Aaron Rodgers, that will mean very little pass protection is required at all. Most quarterbacks--including a number of QBs in the Hall of Fame--don't have Rodgers' gift for producing despite a lack of pass protection. Quarterbacks like that will obviously need a better offensive line than Green Bay's if they're going to be effective.

Like you, I'm deeply concerned about the Bills' failure to (thus far) find a franchise QB for the future. Hopefully that problem gets solved next year. Until it does, there will be a relatively low ceiling on what this team can accomplish. Let's face it, we're not going to replicate the Ravens of 2000 defense + their OL any time soon.

I do, however, have at least some optimism about the pass rush. If upgrading your quarterback play is about just one guy, upgrading your pass rush is about several guys. Some of the required "several guys" have been added. Dareus comes to mind. There's also a chance that either Merriman or Moats can be the pass rushing OLB the Bills need. If Jasper and Troupe can man the NT position, Kyle Williams could become the LDE and provide some pass rush from there. Obviously, you'd still like to add an elite pass rusher to that mix, but at least it's a strong start.

At this point, you may be tempted to point out that the problem with a strong start like this is that it will significantly impact the Bills' draft position, making it harder to add either an elite pass rusher or a franchise QB in future drafts. I share that concern, and hope the Bills find a way to (at very least) add a franchise QB in the 2012 draft. Hopefully there will still be some good ones available when the Bills pick.

I don't expect a areat improvement this year, but I think 3-4 more wins is possible. Things should really start coming together for us after next season (which would be year three of CHIX) especially if we land a top flight QB. If Ralph gave them a "get to the playoffs or else" deadline, I think it would be after the 4th season-- we are going into season two. Of course, this is assuming continued improvement. If we go 2-14 this year all bets are off..... but I don't see that happening

Going 2-14 and getting Andrew Luck would be the best thing that has happened to this team in 20 years.

The above is a very good and well thought-out post. We need more posts like it on these boards.

I'd like to expand on a point you made. You wrote: "But sometimes it comes down to two things to be successful and overcome deficiencies: how good your QB is and if you have a pass-rush." I'd like to expand upon a third component as well: the offensive line; and specifically its interrelationship with the quarterback.

I think you and I can agree that no quarterback can achieve much while lying on his back. Every quarterback needs at least some pass protection to be successful. But the amount of pass protection a QB requires to succeed will vary from one quarterback to the next. The below list should help illustrate this point.

Minimal pass protection required: Aaron Rodgers

Moderate pass protection required: Tom Brady

High level of pass protection required: Drew Bledsoe

Very high level of pass protection required: Rob Johnson

Tom Brady (for example) doesn't need much pass protection to be effective. But if you take away the moderate amount of pass protection he needs, you'll completely change the complexion of New England's offense. Similarly, there were times when Rob Johnson was a very effective QB. Those times occurred most often when Tony Boselli was protecting his blind side. In Buffalo, the combination of a QB who needed a lot of pass protection to be effective, and an OL in the bottom third of the league, meant that the Bills' offense often faltered when Johnson was under center. Rob Johnson might have had a much better career if Bill from NYC had been in charge of the Bills' drafts in the late '90s. No defensive backs would have been taken before the seventh round (if even then), but the problems with the offensive line would have been fixed!

While you should seek to have an offensive line that's as good as possible, you need to at least make it good enough to provide your quarterback with however much pass protection he usually needs. In some cases, such as that of Aaron Rodgers, that will mean very little pass protection is required at all. Most quarterbacks--including a number of QBs in the Hall of Fame--don't have Rodgers' gift for producing despite a lack of pass protection. Quarterbacks like that will obviously need a better offensive line than Green Bay's if they're going to be effective.

Like you, I'm deeply concerned about the Bills' failure to (thus far) find a franchise QB for the future. Hopefully that problem gets solved next year. Until it does, there will be a relatively low ceiling on what this team can accomplish. Let's face it, we're not going to replicate the Ravens of 2000 defense + their OL any time soon.

I do, however, have at least some optimism about the pass rush. If upgrading your quarterback play is about just one guy, upgrading your pass rush is about several guys. Some of the required "several guys" have been added. Dareus comes to mind. There's also a chance that either Merriman or Moats can be the pass rushing OLB the Bills need. If Jasper and Troupe can man the NT position, Kyle Williams could become the LDE and provide some pass rush from there. Obviously, you'd still like to add an elite pass rusher to that mix, but at least it's a strong start.

At this point, you may be tempted to point out that the problem with a strong start like this is that it will significantly impact the Bills' draft position, making it harder to add either an elite pass rusher or a franchise QB in future drafts. I share that concern, and hope the Bills find a way to (at very least) add a franchise QB in the 2012 draft. Hopefully there will still be some good ones available when the Bills pick.

I'd have to say Fitz needs only moderate protection at this point, but last year he didn't get much help at all from the RT position so in some games he was getting very minimal protection and running for his life( Jets game comes to mind). Had the Bills filled that one spot with a decent player the entire season could have been different. Sadly the Bills still haven't filled it with a decent RT as of yet. The 4th from this year looks to be another project much like last years 5th (Wang).

What also helps a QB is a decent running game along with play action to keep the opposing defense honest. Last season Buffalo was pretty much a one dimensional passing offense. Now consider if Fred Jackson ever gets a serious injury the Bills will have no running game whatsoever. The Bills need to improve the running game and actually make those 3rd and short at the goal line running the ball with an elephant offense. Chan Gailey loves his passing offense, but it was the dominate running game of the Ravens that beat the Patriots in that 09 AFC wild-card playoff game in New England. That game was basically a perfect blueprint on how to beat this teams biggest nemesis and it seems to have gone completely unnoticed by anyone at OBD.

I'd have to say the Bills improved their pass rush and run defense with this draft, exactly how much remains to be seen considering Darius simply replaces Marcus Stroud who wasn't really that bad. The team will also lose Whitner to free agency ,so again it remains to be seen if the team does get better on defense with a different starting safety and Kelsay - Merriman on the outside.

While upgrading the defense and almost ignoring the O line / run game... Its as if the Bills have a plan to be bad enough this year to be in position to draft that elite "franchise" QB next year

To the OP, you are citing the two hardest positions in the NFL to fill ....a great QB and great pass rusher. Lets face it every team in the NFL wants an Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews as very few teams have either. Rodgers is an exceptional QB with pinpoint accuracy and an amazing ability to escape the opposing pass rush, but he wasn't able to do that all year as he was concussed against Detroit. That lone concussion could have been severe and caused him to miss more then the one game, what happens then, GB doesn't even make the playoffs much less win the SB. I think GB realized they need to protect their super star QB better if they want to make a return trip to the SB, and drafted for more O line help, an OT-WR-RB with their first 3 picks.

Kinda makes you think about why GB drafted a WR with that 2nd round draft pick as they already have an amazing WR corps, and a brilliant young TE who as hurt most of last year. You mentioned that GB didn't have a great ground game, they could run the ball, they just weren't dominate at doing it. So as good as that offense was they spent their first 3 draft picks on improving it.

Now look back at the team that won the SB the year before in the NO Saints, this year they weren't as balanced on offense due to RB injuries and were forced to have Drew Brees shoulder more of the offensive load, he ended up throwing more INT's and the team didn't win as much. You cite a great QB and pass rusher, I think its more that you need a balanced offense and good a defense overall. Granted a great pass rush is important but it can be more then one lone player, the Saints and NY Giants can bring pressure from their front four, plus blitzing the LB's or DB's.

Looking at how far Buffalo is from have a good defense that can bring pressure from the front four and also blitz with a LB or DB. Then having a balanced offense that can make a 3rd down running or throwing when needed. There is no doubt the Bills are STILL lacking many many players in almost every area, about the only solid area on the current team is the kickers.

Buffalo still needs an top talent on the O line- RT-LT-G and a dominate TE that can block and be a deep threat.They are still lacking a good backup RB that can both block and find the hole, and a back up QB that has some game experience. Consider GB's receiving corps vs Buffalo's, are you kidding me...The Bills have somewhat decent receivers in Evans-Parrish-Johnson, Lee Evans doesn't catch many balls for being the premier WR, no TE, one RB who is older for RB's a scrub RT, and an average LT who gets beat when it counts the most. Plus, I'm not sold on on either Shawn Merriman or Chris Kelsay being a dominate OLB's, nor am I sold on both DE's.

Bottom line: the Bills need to be smart and aggressive in free agency when it opens and also with the un drafted players. I can't stress enough how important it is for Buffalo to fix that O line, find a TE and back up QB & RB, then perhaps a OLB and DE in free agency. If the Bills can keep Fitz upright and healthy and not running for his life every play and fix the run defense they might just win more then they lose. Lotta stuff to fix if they are gonna try and do it just by the draft, then consider not one player is starting from last years draft on a really bad 4-12 team. If the Bills fail to beef up the O line and Fitz gets a serious injury early...Andrew Luck here we come!

I agree that the Bills seem to be under the impression or have the idea that you don't need a quality experienced LT to protect your QB's blind-spot and really haven't gone out of their way to help Trent Edwards or Fitz.

In Edwards case, you had a guy that held the ball too long behind a bad OL. This scenario could have been made into another TV series like "the most dangerous job". Edwards just got pummeled in Buffalo and is now probably only one Pat LaFontaine hit away from another concussion and out of football for good with the Jags.