Whitner rated by ESPN experts as #7 overall saftey in NFL

pmak

I agree with you Joe, that it isn't cut and dried, but it just seems that we have problems keeping our better players. Lee Evans is an exception. I would not be surpised to see Poz leave or Byrd when the time comes. I think we have to put as much effort into keeping people (like Jabari Greer, a favorite of mine or Jim Leonhard). I'm not at all sure how...if I knew I suspect I'd be a highly paid bills exec!

I agree with your point (and that of others). We spend a lot of time and effort replacing players rather than keeping players. This is not the fault of the present administration. It will be nice if we can build a team rather than continually have to plug holes.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is apparently viewed well by the rest of the NFL.

I believe he will get an offer higher than what the Bills might offer.

Given the Bills history with players who leave he will probably go on to a great career someplace else.

What are everyone's thoughts on the newest positional power ranking by ESPN?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers

4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs

6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans

7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots

9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

I think this hurts the Bills' chances of resigning Whitner. This will only inflate his ego and make him less likely to decrease his salary demands if he thinks people view him in this light. As much as I think he is overrated, he is still a serviceable safety and Searcy is an unknown quantity if he was drafted as his replacement.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forget about Whitner,

rotoworld

Bills GM Buddy Nix strongly indicated on a radio show Monday that the team has no intentions of retaining free agent SS Donte Whitner.

"Donte Whitner I don’t think wants to be here, and he probably won’t," Nix said. That's about as close to confirmation an NFL team will give. The Bills' moves already indicated they intend to move on, re-signing George Wilson and drafting Da'Norris Searcy, another "box" safety. Whitner, 26 in July, was the eighth overall pick in the 2006 draft out of Ohio State. He'll appeal to teams that value safeties who play the run effectively.

Who cares what anybody on ESPN thinks? The network is unwatchable and annoying.

i think Whitner is a good player......but he is so far below Polamalu and Reed that he is not worth Top Ten safety money. He is NOT an impact player and has HORRIBLE hands for interceptions. i say pass and save the $6.0mil/yr he is probably seeking.

So true it hurts. The drop off in the entire league after Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu is immense. Also, looking at those 2 players recent injury histories, a new argument can be made about how much a top safety is really worth when consider how many games they actually play in after they sign their first veteran contract versus the guarenteed money that is invested. The great safeties out there start breaking down after about 5 years. The Steelers and Ravens have not gotten their money's worth from these guys for a few seasons now and will continue to lose on those investments.

Outside of the Buffalo fanbase, Whitner is actually highly thought of.

As for stuff he says on twitter, sure it comes off as immature. But that's no more immature than the fans that ruthlessly attack him because he's not Ngata and can't separate what happens on and off the field.

You just paid the Buffalo Fan base a HUGE compliment when it comes to talent evaluation because on this one I can promise you we are right... B-)

You just paid the Buffalo Fan base a HUGE compliment when it comes to talent evaluation because on this one I can promise you we are right... B-)

Nope. I'll trust NFL execs much more than a bunch of morons who hate a guy because they didn't draft a different guy.

Immature or not, Whitner has never gotten a fair shake from the Buffalo fanbase.

As for stuff he says on twitter, sure it comes off as immature. But that's no more immature than the fans that ruthlessly attack him because he's not Ngata and can't separate what happens on and off the field.

He's highly thought of outside of our fanbase because those people don't watch him get burned by safeties or get run over by running backs. They think highly of him because they don't get to see him dance around and celebrate after making a tackle on a running after a 20yd gain. They like him because they remember him being drafted high in the draft and they see comments from him all the time. If they watched him every week like we do, I assure you they would not like him.

I don't dislike him because he is not Ngata. I dislike him because he is not very good.

Edited by Maddog69

He's highly thought of outside of our fanbase because those people don't watch him get burned by safeties or get run over by running backs. They think highly of him because they don't get to see him dance around and celebrate after making a tackle on a running after a 20yd gain. They like him because they remember him being drafted high in the draft and they see comments from him all the time. If they watched him every week like we do, I assure you they would not like him.

I don't dislike him because he is not Ngata. I dislike him because he is not very good.

So will you come back to this thread and eat crow when some other NFL team gives him a big money deal?

Nope. I'll trust NFL execs much more than a bunch of morons who hate a guy because they didn't draft a different guy.

Immature or not, Whitner has never gotten a fair shake from the Buffalo fanbase.

I think I've given him a fair shake. I've wanted him to be a difference maker in the worst way, but then I watch the games. He's a very sure tackler -- after the TE catches the ball for a first down. He makes NO impact plays. He doesn't make plays on 3rd down to get the defense off the field. He doesn't force turnovers. I understand he has everyone over to his house to have popcorn and watch film. Great.

What are everyone's thoughts on the newest positional power ranking by ESPN?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens

3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers

4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs

6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans

7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots

9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

I think this hurts the Bills' chances of resigning Whitner. This will only inflate his ego and make him less likely to decrease his salary demands if he thinks people view him in this light. As much as I think he is overrated, he is still a serviceable safety and Searcy is an unknown quantity if he was drafted as his replacement.

I have been saying this for a long time...Whitner is not viewed in the same light around the league as Bills fans see him. He also would be a starter on many teams in the NFL. I don't think he is worth any where near what he wants, but because other teams hold him in higher regard, and based on who would be available in FA, he will get more money than he is worth else where. It won't surprise me to see his career be about the same somewhere else, but it also won't surprise me to see him elevate his game else where on a better overall defense.