Fox news says Bin Laden is dead!

Steve O

His organization and dream not only survive him, they may well get stronger with his martyrdom. It's less a victory than it is closure.

But what sweet closure it is. :w00t:

How many martyrs die using a woman as a human shield? Sounds like a works class puss to me.

PTR

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many martyrs die using a woman as a human shield? Sounds like a works class puss to me.

PTR

And how many people who would actually view him as a martyr would actually believe that story? There is a certain group of Muslims - a rather larger group than we probably think - who will be perfectly willing to put him just below Mohammed in their pantheon of religious figures.

And I know your response to that (the average American's response, really) would be "!@#$ 'em, they're terrorists." Which is precisely why such terrorists exist: it's easier to dismiss than understand, but makes fighting them so much less effective.

And how many people who would actually view him as a martyr would actually believe that story? There is a certain group of Muslims - a rather larger group than we probably think - who will be perfectly willing to put him just below Mohammed in their pantheon of religious figures.

And I know your response to that (the average American's response, really) would be "!@#$ 'em, they're terrorists." Which is precisely why such terrorists exist: it's easier to dismiss than understand, but makes fighting them so much less effective.

I think the group that reveres bin Laden is much smaller than you give credit for. In fact bin Laden was dispised by the vast majority of Muslims.

I was just reading how the populist revolt in Egypt carries more weight than bin Laden ever did. In fact al Qaida opposes that kind of democracy in action. Notice no one carried around pictures of bin Laden in Cairo, Libya or Tunisia. In fact probably 99% of the Arab world is glad to see his hairy ass dead.

PTR

I only skimmed through the posts here so forgive me if anyone already said this but I think it's great he's dead but the most important thing about this operation is the massive intelligence they got from that compound. That's what is going to hurt or ruin Al Quada more than the killing of their leader. I can't imagine what they have found. This should only be the tip of what the operation will reveal.

I only skimmed through the posts here so forgive me if anyone already said this but I think it's great he's dead but the most important thing about this operation is the massive intelligence they got from that compound. That's what is going to hurt or ruin Al Quada more than the killing of their leader. I can't imagine what they have found. This should only be the tip of what the operation will reveal.

It also puts any new al Qaida leaders on notice that there is a bullet with their name on it.

PTR

Dumping his body now eliminates any issues with the bin Laden family asking for his remains and giving him any respect in a funeral service back in Saudi Arabia

This

And to prevent an OBL grave or tomb from turning into some kind of Temple of Jihad

Awesome job by our guys!! Best is that apparently we didn't tell Pakistan and did it on their soil. What a message it sends to other dirtbag terrorists. Hide all you want, even in a country that is protecting you( pakistan!), we will come and get you - - - - and kill you!

I would guess that pictures of the raid and aftermath will begin leaking out soon.

Awesome job! God Bless the USA and our brave men and women in the armed forces (and inteligence services) who worked so hard to make this happen.

BRAVO!

I think the group that reveres bin Laden is much smaller than you give credit for. In fact bin Laden was dispised by the vast majority of Muslims.

1% is still 30 million militants. And you forget that the Islamic world doesn't view him the same way we do. He's an Islamic symbol of fighting against the oppression of the west - even moderate Muslims who readily admit he's a criminal postfix the observation with "But he does have a point." And now that symbol of Islamic resistance to western oppression is assassinated by the western oppressors? Hell, Americans lionize people for FAR less, what makes you thinks Muslims (not just Arabs - Filipinos, Indonesians, Serbs, e.g.) will be any different?

Time will tell, of course. Specifically, time will tell that I'm right. But time will tell.

I was just reading how the populist revolt in Egypt carries more weight than bin Laden ever did. In fact al Qaida opposes that kind of democracy in action. Notice no one carried around pictures of bin Laden in Cairo, Libya or Tunisia. In fact probably 99% of the Arab world is glad to see his hairy ass dead.

PTR

No doubt it carries more weight. So what? It's not an either-or proposition. Most of the populists in Egypt et cet. share the many of the same goals as al Qaeda, and are completely conscious of it (see my above: "...but he does have a point.") Their differences are primarily over the secularism of law and government, and over the means of fighting oppression.

I would have liked to see his body desecrated as much as the next guy, but I actually like the fact that they gave him a "proper" Muslim send off and got rid of it quickly. We really don't need anyone else pissed at us, and just like any dead, they deserve some (dare I say) respect.

It was a very smart move politically, and also a very smart move to have dispached him immediately rather than put him on trial and parade him around as a martyr. Really, any other way of handling this than what they did would have been very, very, very bad in the long run.

But we got him! 'Merica, hell yeah!

Edited by AxelRipper

1% is still 30 million militants. And you forget that the Islamic world doesn't view him the same way we do. He's an Islamic symbol of fighting against the oppression of the west - even moderate Muslims who readily admit he's a criminal postfix the observation with "But he does have a point." And now that symbol of Islamic resistance to western oppression is assassinated by the western oppressors? Hell, Americans lionize people for FAR less, what makes you thinks Muslims (not just Arabs - Filipinos, Indonesians, Serbs, e.g.) will be any different?

Time will tell, of course. Specifically, time will tell that I'm right. But time will tell.

No doubt it carries more weight. So what? It's not an either-or proposition. Most of the populists in Egypt et cet. share the many of the same goals as al Qaeda, and are completely conscious of it (see my above: "...but he does have a point.") Their differences are primarily over the secularism of law and government, and over the means of fighting oppression.

I think you're way off here but we won't convince each other. There are crazies and extremists in every group of people.

PTR

I think you're way off here but we won't convince each other. There are crazies and extremists in every group of people.

PTR

We killed their Pat Robertson. How many people would be upset if Robertson was taken out? A minority, but still a good number. Even people on the fringes would feel some anger/sadness about it.

We killed their Pat Robertson. How many people would be upset if Robertson was taken out? A minority, but still a good number. Even people on the fringes would feel some anger/sadness about it.

I had to google this Pat Robertson fella because I had no idea who he is. Just about everyone in the world knows who OBL is/was. I don't think its quite the same.

I had to google this Pat Robertson fella because I had no idea who he is. Just about everyone in the world knows who OBL is/was. I don't think its quite the same.

If you had mentioned OBL back in 1999, I'd bet more Americans knew who Robertson was.

Everyone in the world knows who OBL was because of 9/11.

Doesnt change their roles in their own communities.

When's the last time you saw a biblethumper strap explosives to themselves to kill people they've never met?

Big difference between Robertson/Evangelicals and OBL/Jihadists

When's the last time you saw a biblethumper strap explosives to themselves to kill people they've never met?

WHOA WHOA WHOA STOP RIGHT NOW

I never said that two were equal in what they do. Only that they play the same role within their respective "communities".

Dont read a bunch of BS into my post. Thanks.

Not really. Not to me anyway. How many bible-thumpers shoot doctors? Maybe not as many suicide bombers but they still do it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot