Who would you have picked? Post draft mock

Just for fun, let's weigh in on who you would have taken at each pick knowing who was off the board. So for each pick you can take anybody from the player we picked through our next pick. I really like Buddy's draft, so I am not up in arms complaining. As Cannon and Mallett sit on the New England bench for different reasons, I think we will like our actual draft better than mine. But now is the time to state who you wanted at each pick for the historical record :) (For example, I wanted Ngata over Whitner, but I wanted Lynch over Revis and would have wasted a 2nd on Claussen).

R1 #3 (Dareus DT) My pick: SAME

R2 #34 (Williams CB) My Pick: Akeem Ayers LB

R3 #68 (Sheppard LB) My Pick: Ryan Mallett QB

R4 #100 (Searcy DB) My Pick: Luke Stocker TE

R4 #122 (Hairston OT) My Pick: House Daven DB

R5 #133 (J. White RB) My Pick: Marcus Cannon OT

R6 #169 (C. White LB) My Pick: Quan Sturdivant LB

R7 #206 (Rogers DB) My Pick: SAME (what do I know in the 7th)

R7 #245 (Jasper DT) My Pick: SAME (what do I know in the 7th)

R2 #34 (Williams CB) My Pick: SAME

R3 #68 (Sheppard LB) My Pick: SAME

R4 #100 (Searcy DB) My Pick: SAME

R4 #122 (Hairston OT) My Pick: Julius Thomas TE

R5 #133 (J. White RB) My Pick: SAME

R7 #206 (Rogers DB) My Pick: SAME

R7 #245 (Jasper DT) My Pick: SAME

I put QB at the top of our need list, so I would have leaned toward taking Gabbert in Rd1. But there is no denying that Dareus is a solid pick.

I definitely would have taken Dalton or Kaepernick in Rd2 and definitely would have grabbed Mallet in Rd3.

This draft fell perfectly for the Bills to grab a QB in each of the first 3 rounds, but they chose to pass, just as they did last year.

Hasn't Gailey proven that we do not need a franchise QB to effectively compete in this league? Didn't Bellichek prove that with Matt Cassell? The Jets keep winning with Sanchez and he is average and not consistent. We need an offense that can block and run, once we have that the passing game will take care of itself. To have a chance at the playoffs, along with an effective offense, you need a very very good defense. We have a chance to move from the worst defensive unit in football to one that ranks 20 to 24 next year. Hopefully we can reach the top 15 the following year as Dareus, Carrington, Troupe, Sheppard and the backfield improves.

With what we have coming back from last year and what we drafted it looks like our draft top needs next year are OLB, TE, OL depth, and QB in that order, about half of what we needed this year. With any luck we can pick up a serviceable TE and RG in free agency this year. If so, we can begin to target specific needs to get the team on a playoff course in 2013. Imagine if we can get a monster OLB in the 2012 draft to go with Merriman, Poz, Moats and Sheppard, and if the D Line becomes halfway decent our defense will be solid.

I put QB at the top of our need list, so I would have leaned toward taking Gabbert in Rd1. But there is no denying that Dareus is a solid pick.

I definitely would have taken Dalton or Kaepernick in Rd2 and definitely would have grabbed Mallet in Rd3.

This draft fell perfectly for the Bills to grab a QB in each of the first 3 rounds, but they chose to pass, just as they did last year.

I think this means more that they didn't like the QBs available rather than that they didn't think that they needed

a longer-term answer than Fitz. I think that they are rightfully comfortable with Fitz for now and that they felt that there

was significantly better value at other positions of need, so that is where they used their picks.

Hasn't Gailey proven that we do not need a franchise QB to effectively compete in this league? Didn't Bellichek prove that with Matt Cassell? The Jets keep winning with Sanchez and he is average and not consistent. We need an offense that can block and run, once we have that the passing game will take care of itself. To have a chance at the playoffs, along with an effective offense, you need a very very good defense. We have a chance to move from the worst defensive unit in football to one that ranks 20 to 24 next year. Hopefully we can reach the top 15 the following year as Dareus, Carrington, Troupe, Sheppard and the backfield improves.

With what we have coming back from last year and what we drafted it looks like our draft top needs next year are OLB, TE, OL depth, and QB in that order, about half of what we needed this year. With any luck we can pick up a serviceable TE and RG in free agency this year. If so, we can begin to target specific needs to get the team on a playoff course in 2013. Imagine if we can get a monster OLB in the 2012 draft to go with Merriman, Poz, Moats and Sheppard, and if the D Line becomes halfway decent our defense will be solid.

I am generally not the optimistic type, but I think the defense can jump even higher than that this year. I think (hope*?) a DL of Kyle Williams, Dareus

and Dwan Edwards with Troup, Carrington and Spencer Johnson rotating in will be pretty darned good. I still think that our LBs are a little weak, but

I hope they resign Poz and that Kelvin Sheppard and Andre Davis can be a good combo next to him. At OLB, I think that Merriman (IF healthy) and

Moats can be respectable. Hopefully, AntonioColeman and Danny Batten can help out, too. In the secondary, I hope they can re-sign Drayton

Florence and that McKelvin steps up. McKelvin is a TREMENDOUS athlete and can be a good starting CB. I think McGee will start out at the other

CB and Aaron Williams can help a lot (along with a respectable Reggie Corner). At S, I think that Byrd will be much improved with not having to

focus on run D as much and I believe that George Wilson will be adequate at the other S with help from Bryan Scott and Williams.

Edited by OldTimer1960

R2 #34 (Williams CB) My Pick: SAME

R3 #68 (Sheppard LB) My Pick: SAME

R4 #100 (Searcy DB) My Pick: SAME

R4 #122 (Hairston OT) My Pick: Julius Thomas TE

R5 #133 (J. White RB) My Pick: SAME

R7 #206 (Rogers DB) My Pick: SAME

R7 #245 (Jasper DT) My Pick: SAME

Wow, seriously? I think I'm moderately deep into it.

But Round 5 and after I was like "who?" and Jasper came way out of left field for me.

Would have liked Bowers in the second

When the Bills are a strong team again they can take a flier on risky picks with potential to perform well above their draft level - Bowers, Mallet, Cannon

Until we are fielding a strong team -- that's the kind of drafting that has gotten the Bills into trouble, even just last year.

R1 Marcell Dareus DT

R2 Brooks Reed LB

R3 Jah Reid OT

R4 Dnorris Searcy DB

R4 Jason Pinkston OT

R5 Quan Sturdivant LB

R6 Virgil Green TE

R7 Mark Herzlich LB

R7 Michael Jasper DT

This draft would be MUNCH approved.

And for the record, the real one is MUNCH approved as well.

Edited by Munch

Have fun competing effectively.... And losing your last game of the year. Get a stud QB and you have a MUCH better chance of winning your final game. History repeats itself, over and over. Sure, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer can win a SB. Good luck putting together a defense like Baltimores and TBs that won the SB for them. "compete effectively". That's funny, and it's a philosophy that will get a gm and hc fired. I like Fitz, but he's NOT gonna win us a SB, unless we have one of "those" defenses. "those" defenses are harder to come by than a franchise QB. True story. Keep thinking we don't need a stud QB. I'm glad you're not our GM, that's for sure.

Liked most of our pick so this isn't a dis but what may have been.

R1 #3 Dareus DT - Blaine Gabbert QB (better hope we can get a franchise guy next year or we be back to 8 - 8 for years)

R2 #34 Williams CB - DT Marvin Austin (top ten talent could be just as good as Dareus)

R3 #68 Sheppard LB

R4 #100 Searcy DB

R4 #122 Hairston OT - Marcus Cannon RT ( Like Hairston but cannon is a road grader and has great feet)

R5 #133 J. White RB - Pernell McFee DE (really like him as a pass rusher, maybe be big for OLB but the Ravens drafted him so they think he can play there, same size as Suggs. We could a UDA for RB so why bother unless he is a game changer)

R6 #169 C. White LB (was one of my guys so I was thrilled with this pick)

R7 #206 Rogers DB - Bruce Miller OLB ( Guy is an animal with killer instinct and can bench 520 Lbs which is a lot for his size and age and we needed to get pass rushers not another corner.)

R7 #245 Jasper DT (who doesn't love a 400 Lb NT, surprised at how muscular he is and moves quite well for his size, I think Nix said he VJ 32" and LJ 9'5", so hopefully he works out because our D will be sick if he does.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FABW6VvkrA

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

R2 #34 Williams CB - DT Marvin Austin (top ten talent could be just as good as Dareus)

Austin is a very good 4-3 DT Prospect but he's not anywhere near Dareus as a Prospect...It's really not close...Austin is pretty much strictly a One-Gap, up-the-field DT...Dareus can play anywhere, along any front...Plus...Austin plays a bit out-of-control at times and lacks Dareus' discipline...Austin is described by some as the "ring-leader" of the little cheating operation that cost UNC half their Roster last year...And when he was Interviewed at The Combine several Teams let it leak out that he was a selfish Kid who refused to take responsibility for his part in the whole thing, and that he was quick to point the finger back at his University...

Not trying to nitpick you here...Just saying... B-)

I think I would rather have Dareus and Williams than Gabbert and Austin.

I was interested in the 2nd round QBs and especially Mallett in the third round, but I think I like Buddy's draft more than what I would have done. I would have loved to draft a QB, because that would have meant it had Chan's seal of approval, but I think that in hindsight, if Chan didn't want Mallett in the third then I think he probably has a reason not to like him. Adding an early round QB there is the expectation that he will be better than Fitz in the next year or two, and if Chan didn't think that about the guys available then I am fine with Fitz and waiting a year or two for the right guy.

But absolutely positively, I would rather have Dareus and Fitz on the team than Gabbert and Fitz (with one of them on the bench). I think once the Peterson and Green hype dies down a little people will realize we got the best player in the whole draft.

Liked most of our pick so this isn't a dis but what may have been.

R1 #3 Dareus DT - Blaine Gabbert QB (better hope we can get a franchise guy next year or we be back to 8 - 8 for years)

R3 #68 Sheppard LB

R4 #100 Searcy DB

R4 #122 Hairston OT - Marcus Cannon RT ( Like Hairston but cannon is a road grader and has great feet)

R5 #133 J. White RB - Pernell McFee DE (really like him as a pass rusher, maybe be big for OLB but the Ravens drafted him so they think he can play there, same size as Suggs. We could a UDA for RB so why bother unless he is a game changer)

R6 #169 C. White LB (was one of my guys so I was thrilled with this pick)

R7 #206 Rogers DB - Bruce Miller OLB ( Guy is an animal with killer instinct and can bench 520 Lbs which is a lot for his size and age and we needed to get pass rushers not another corner.)

R7 #245 Jasper DT (who doesn't love a 400 Lb NT, surprised at how muscular he is and moves quite well for his size, I think Nix said he VJ 32" and LJ 9'5", so hopefully he works out because our D will be sick if he does.)