CBS Sports.com Grades

I am trying to figure out how Darius is anything but a A

- Total position of need

- Possibly the best player in the entire draft at any position

I assume it is because the Bills don't have a franchise QB and passed on one to take a DL in a DL deep draft. Nobody is debating that Dareus is a talented player, just not smart to pass on potential Franchise QB's when you don't have one.

Edited by Maddog69

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume it is because the Bills don't have a franchise QB and passed on one to take a DL in a DL deep draft. Nobody is debating that Dareus is a talented player, just not smart to pass on potential Franchise QB's when you don't have one.

What is this franchise QB's name?

What is this franchise QB's name?

It was reported that Gabbert would have been the Bills pick if Dareus was gone.

There's no guarantee that he will pan out, just like any player in the draft. But I would guess the draft grade was a B+ because the grader thought we should have looked to address the QB need before taking a DL

Well, just doing my part to chime in on one of those draft day threads that make me love this place...

If I had to give CBS Sports.com a grade, I'd give them a D. I have heard of them. They have reporters - step above Bleacher...but how often do you think, hmm, I have to go check that site out.

CBS Sports.com I give a D. Maybe in 4 years it will develop...

I am trying to figure out how Darius is anything but a A

- Total position of need

- Possibly the best player in the entire draft at any position

agreed, and who Mike Mayock called a "beast"

A little disappointed the Bills didn't go OT earlier as they drafted another project and need help now, didn't draft a TE. I just hope they got some starters this year besides Darius

ESPN looked at Dareus and Fairley on day 2. They showed Dareus play NT, DT, and DE. Fairley is a 3 technique one year wonder DT. Dareus solves so many problems for this team and instantly makes all the other DL's better.

Gabbert would have sat for at least a year behind Fitzy and we would be breaking him in in 2012. If Fitz blows then next year there is Luck and Barkley and I'm sure others to go after and they can start as a rookie knowing Fitz blows. There is no lost time. If Fitz turns out to be serviceable then next year they can upgrade the OLB and/or LT spot.

I can't see how anyone would not have chosen Dareus. I had hoped for Locker in round two. I thought his up/down career at UW was due to the lack of talent there and it appears at least one GM agrees.

I assume it is because the Bills don't have a franchise QB and passed on one to take a DL in a DL deep draft. Nobody is debating that Dareus is a talented player, just It's smart to pass on a QB's when there isn't one available at the 3 spot.

fixed

It was reported that Gabbert would have been the Bills pick if Dareus was gone.

There's no guarantee that he will pan out, just like any player in the draft. But I would guess the draft grade was a B+ because the grader thought we should have looked to address the QB need before taking a DL

This is what drives me crazy about the "Best Player Available" thing.

Everyone (including all the network football pundits) declaims teams should draft BPA rather than drafting for need. Drafting for need bad, bad, bad. Results in reaching, overall less talented team, etcetera.

Then when a team like the Bills makes up a draft board and takes the best player available on their board AND at a position of crying need, the same people turn around and yell "Bad bad bad - you need Q more than D you fools!"

Nuts.

This is what drives me crazy about the "Best Player Available" thing.

Everyone (including all the network football pundits) declaims teams should draft BPA rather than drafting for need. Drafting for need bad, bad, bad. Results in reaching, overall less talented team, etcetera.

Then when a team like the Bills makes up a draft board and takes the best player available on their board AND at a position of crying need, the same people turn around and yell "Bad bad bad - you need Q more than D you fools!"

Nuts.

Are you sure they're the same people?

B+ for a player who could have went 1 or 2...thats an A++++ pick

Sure that is enough +'s? :)

On one hand, picking the guy most people thought was the best player in the entire draft isn't exactly rocket science. On the other hand, the Bills didn't !@#$ this one up. Given their renowned abilities to do the latter, they deserve an A for not stepping on their member with this one.

For what it is worth...

1. B+ Dareus

2. B- Williams

3. C Sheppard

4. B Searcy

4. A Hairston

5. A White

6. C White

7. B Rogers

7. C Jasper

I think the C for Sheppard is a bit harsh from Prisco. He looks like a solid pick. Otherwise at least this website seems to like what Buffalo did.

We had a one of the most solid drafts in years. Very happy with this draft overall. No draft has ever been perfect but this one is very solid imo. Grading it out right now is too early tho. We won't know until another 3 years. Then we can see how well the talking heads know what they're talking about.

Edited by Pilsner

Because from the perspective of non-Bills fans, the Bills haven't made the playoffs for 11 years because they don't have a QB and they came away from round 1 without one.

I love Dareus, but in 5 years will there have been a QB in this draft that the Bills missed that becomes a franchise QB? I think some observers like Prisco think so. You saw their rankings. Most people had Newton and Gabbert in the top 5.

And those observers have a point.

The draft is a process that the Bills treat like an isolated event.

In a PROCESS, you need to do certain things over time. For instance, selecting a QB with your first selection in a draft. The Bills have now gone 51 years without doing so.

I really don't like Gabbert, but when you never go all in on a QB you should expect to lose.

I've said it before, had the Bills used their first pick in each of the last 7 drafts on a QB they would not be one bit worse off for it. Again, I love Dareus, he's a great DT/DE prospect but even if he makes ten pro bowls he will not have the impact of a franchise QB, that's just the way it is.

I think you are totally missing the point becuase there's no much spreading the term "Franchise" for a DT as there is for a QB, but let me tell you 2 "Franchise" DT examples: one in the 90s and one in the 2010's. In the 90s was this guy called Warren Sap, that took and won his team a SB, while a guy (less servicable than Fitz) was his QB. In the 2010's is last name is Su, who do you think had more impact in the Lions being way more competitive? his "FQB" or him?... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kent H Jr

I think you are totally missing the point becuase there's no much spreading the term "Franchise" for a DT as there is for a QB, but let me tell you 2 "Franchise" DT examples: one in the 90s and one in the 2010's. In the 90s was this guy called Warren Sap, that took and won his team a SB, while a guy (less servicable than Fitz) was his QB. In the 2010's is last name is Su, who do you think had more impact in the Lions being way more competitive? his "FQB" or him?... :rolleyes:

I think you are grasping at air here, the QB is far more important. Suh had one of the greatest seasons a rookie defender has ever had. The Lions stil stunk because Matthew Stafford was injured much of the season. His ability to stay on the field is in doubt due to injury.

Prisco give the Vikings an A for drafting Ponder with the #12 pick in the 1st round....LOL That's all I need to see

This is exactly why draft grades are meaningless. Those who write them want something to grab people's attention with. Solid d linemen will always be boring as compared to a qb. Even a qb who will suck.

Well, just doing my part to chime in on one of those draft day threads that make me love this place...

If I had to give CBS Sports.com a grade, I'd give them a D. I have heard of them. They have reporters - step above Bleacher...but how often do you think, hmm, I have to go check that site out.

CBS Sports.com I give a D. Maybe in 4 years it will develop...

Not by much....CBS Sports is a Micky Mouse run organization

:thumbdown: Let's see ... an instant analysis of CBS Sports.com grades ... D-. How can you give a B+ grade to the easiest draft pick of the first round. The Bills needed a monster on the DL ... Cam Newton was gone as was 'lay down on tough plays' Miller ... leaving us the best pick of the day a clear A+.

The final grade of any draft comes in another year or two after everyone has had a chance to play but I am crossing CBS Sports off my list as a "trusted" source.

A QB flaming out in Buffalo is a much better article though. These type of article have very little to do with the football value.

Look...I've been about as vocal as anyone around here about getting a Franchise QB...But once it was clear that Dareus was going to fall to the Bills at #3 they really only had 2 choices...Draft Dareus, or Trade back a bit for Gabbert...There was no way The Bills were going to take Gabbert over Dareus no matter how bad they need a Franchise QB...I'm about as big a Gabbert supporter as there is around here...But he a project QB (granted with huge upside) regardless, and Dareus is a ready-to-destroy-monster in an area of massive Need for The Bills...Any idiot who would dock the Bills a notch for taking Dareus over a QB at #3 has no business Grading any Draft...

I think you could have made the argument for QB better had it been Miller at #3...But with Dareus, no way...At least not yet...If Gabbert becomes a Top 10 QB in 3 years then maybe...But right now, no way...It's an A+ Draft Pick for The Bills all the way right now... B-)

A couple of responses to answering my post above......

- First....that is kind of a point....you should give an A grade to someone for not being an idiot and doing the right thing....because that is a choice. I am QUITE sure with Blaine Gabbart, Patrick Peterson, and of course Marcel Darius the phone was ringing with a trade down offer.....but Nix realizing just what a player like Marcel Darius means for your team stood his ground and made the pick. To someone like Nix who OPENLY says he would like all the picks he can get this had to be a temptation.

- Regarding the QB.....so....if we traded down and took Christian Ponder with our first pick (jesus christ I cant even believe that happened) then we would have had a BETTER draft? It does NO GOOD to put your eggs in a 1st round QB basket if you dont actually THINK they are a definate franchise QB......imo opinion the 2nd round would have been ok to take one because even if the QB didnt end up being a franchise guy and just a good backup for your team then it was worth...but that big money first round player needs to be a IMPACT player at some point. Marcel Darius or Christian Ponder? that isnt even a valid question for me.

- I beleive we do need to find a franchise QB....I dont think we should reach for one.

Marcel Darius not only will help this team himself but plays a position that helps others around him be good players because of the attention he will demand from the offense. Fitz was going to be our starter this year no matter what......

I absolutely will give credit to the GM for doing the RIGHT thing and not try to get cute and eventually hurting the team.......