2 ways to build: Draft & $

The Bills (RW) continue to not pay good players. Then have to draft replacements to fill the needs. Never getting any better. Drafting a RB and 3 freaking DB's. They could have kept Lynch (saved the Spiller pick and this White pick), and could have kept several DB's or Free agent picked one. So that is half the draft spent filling holes left cause RW won't invest in the team. Treading water again this year. Could have a QB roster of of Tebow and Kaepernick backing up Fitzpatrick - but NOOOOOO! That may be far fetched but how about Anthony Davis a 16 game starting tackle instead of Spiller, and Kaepernick instead of Aaron Williams

And in the 7th Bruce Miller and Greg Romeus were both available. I don't get it.. :wallbash:

The Bills (RW) continue to not pay good players. Then have to draft replacements to fill the needs. Never getting any better. Drafting a RB and 3 freaking DB's. They could have kept Lynch (saved the Spiller pick and this White pick), and could have kept several DB's or Free agent picked one. So that is half the draft spent filling holes left cause RW won't invest in the team. Treading water again this year. Could have a QB roster of of Tebow and Kaepernick backing up Fitzpatrick - but NOOOOOO! That may be far fetched but how about Anthony Davis a 16 game starting tackle instead of Spiller, and Kaepernick instead of Aaron Williams

And in the 7th Bruce Miller and Greg Romeus were both available. I don't get it.. :wallbash:

I have been saying the same thing basically on this board for a few years, and whenever I do I get mauled by all these dreamers that claim Ralph is not cheap, he is the greatest owner in the NFL, etc. They could have kept Lynch who was under contract for a few more years with his rookie contract, but instead they wasted the #9 pick last year on a part time scat back at best and another pick this year, instead of just keeping a running back under contract with multiple 1,000 yard seasons under his helmet. Bills fans don't take much to get them excited or hopeful, but the truth is until Ralph is gone, the Bills will never be contenders.

I have been saying the same thing basically on this board for a few years, and whenever I do I get mauled by all these dreamers that claim Ralph is not cheap, he is the greatest owner in the NFL, etc. They could have kept Lynch who was under contract for a few more years with his rookie contract, but instead they wasted the #9 pick last year on a part time scat back at best and another pick this year, instead of just keeping a running back under contract with multiple 1,000 yard seasons under his helmet. Bills fans don't take much to get them excited or hopeful, but the truth is until Ralph is gone, the Bills will never be contenders.

I think you know what you have to do. :devil:

!@#$, I can't believe we didn't get Bruce Miller and Greg Romeus. They would have looked so sweet on the practice squad. Now we'll just have to sign completely comparable players from the UDFA pool to do that. Dammit :angry:

But yea, until the Bills actually resign their own good veterans and become competitive for worthwhile free agents they will not be in the running for the Super Bowl. I don't see the point of it at this stage of the rebuilding process, but I think the team will be good enough and show enough progress this season to sway Ralphie to open the wallet next offseason.

.__________>/^\<

| ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '|__\

| WAMBULANCE - | i<<

I_______________|I

..""(@)"""""""""(@)"............

Guys, Ive had to gas this effing thing up 3 TIMES today already. Can you quit your crying? GAS ISNT CHEAP!!

Oh my god this is the best, 4 people here have peed themselves / with the rest of mine being an accident.

Well, ultimately it does come down to the owner. We don't know how much impact Ralph has directly on draft day, but the primary issue is the hiring of people at management positions that aren't exceptional.

They subsequently get themselves fired for making poor decisions. This leads to organizational resets and the repetition of many of the same mistakes.

The need for these new regimes to come in and cleanse the organization of the previous regimes choices has yielded diminishing returns. Example: Lawyer Milloy was a better player than Donte Whitner, so not only did the Bills flush a premium selection on Whitner, they somehow found themselves not only treading water......but they actually also got WORSE at that position.

Same with London Fletcher to Poz, expended a high pick and still got a less productive, injury plagued player.

Nate Clements to Leodis McNuthin. Clements has his haters here, but the guy produced and never missed a game in Buffalo. McNuthin has been unproductive, injured and just a staggering disappointment considering his top 10 selection.

Travis Henry to McGahee to Lynch to Spiller......hell that only burned 3 first rounders and resulted in the team starting a 30 year old undrafted free agent at RB. This is the rare case where they ended up with the better player starting, but it cost them DEARLY.

Drayton Florence to Aaron Williams dropoff? I say it's likely. Florence was the Bills best CB and playmaker in the secondary, if Williams has a career as a CORNERBACK like Florence I would be surprised.

Or maybe Williams ends up replacing Jairus Byrd, who was just drafted in round 2, two years ago.

Why is it so impossible for the Bills to re-sign one of their own free agent dispose-of backs? A second round pick is a premium selection, but the Bills do not value their DB's enough to re-sign them? You can't defend using top picks on players that you don't value as pros.

I know there are a lot of people out there making excuses for Buddy Nix and company, but their premium draft picks did not even provide average results last season so they are already playing catch up.

Well, ultimately it does come down to the owner. We don't know how much impact Ralph has directly on draft day, but the primary issue is the hiring of people at management positions that aren't exceptional.

They subsequently get themselves fired for making poor decisions. This leads to organizational resets and the repetition of many of the same mistakes.

The need for these new regimes to come in and cleanse the organization of the previous regimes choices has yielded diminishing returns. Example: Lawyer Milloy was a better player than Donte Whitner, so not only did the Bills flush a premium selection on Whitner, they somehow found themselves not only treading water......but they actually also got WORSE at that position.

Same with London Fletcher to Poz, expended a high pick and still got a less productive, injury plagued player.

Nate Clements to Leodis McNuthin. Clements has his haters here, but the guy produced and never missed a game in Buffalo. McNuthin has been unproductive, injured and just a staggering disappointment considering his top 10 selection.

Travis Henry to McGahee to Lynch to Spiller......hell that only burned 3 first rounders and resulted in the team starting a 30 year old undrafted free agent at RB. This is the rare case where they ended up with the better player starting, but it cost them DEARLY.

Drayton Florence to Aaron Williams dropoff? I say it's likely. Florence was the Bills best CB and playmaker in the secondary, if Williams has a career as a CORNERBACK like Florence I would be surprised.

Or maybe Williams ends up replacing Jairus Byrd, who was just drafted in round 2, two years ago.

Why is it so impossible for the Bills to re-sign one of their own free agent dispose-of backs? A second round pick is a premium selection, but the Bills do not value their DB's enough to re-sign them? You can't defend using top picks on players that you don't value as pros.

I know there are a lot of people out there making excuses for Buddy Nix and company, but their premium draft picks did not even provide average results last season so they are already playing catch up.

You just hit the nail on the head.

I would only add that, no matter the regime, the Bills' penchant for drafting DBs and then replacing them is even more stupid when one factors in how much the NFL rules are slanted in favor of offense.

OF course DBs are going to "get burned" and "suck" and have PI penalties. That's the nature of the beast when they make breathing on WRs illegal, and the Front 7 can generate NOTHING for a pass rush. But, guys get scapegoated for not being able to cover perfectly, run out of town, and then the team goes and spends more draft picks in a rinse and repeat.

When the rules are this skewed, it matters less who you draft to cover WRs. A much better strategy is to invest in DL/LBs and pressure the QB into making hurried mistakes on passing downs, while simultaneously having guys up front who can also stop the run.

We're putting up the shutters before we build the roof.

What DB's did they "let go?" Winfield was offered an insane amount of money and the Bills couldn't match it ($10M ROSTER bonus, which would have hit the cap that year). Clements was WAY overpaid and overrated. Greer was an UDFA they developed who had 2 good seasons, but the Bills already had McGee and McKelvin, the Saints gave him a pretty good-sized deal, and Greer missed his last 6 games with the Bills, and has already missed 9 games with the Saints.

Who else? Peters? We've already gone down that road. He didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. So they obliged. Likely Lynch wanted to be on the West Coast/out of Buffalo.

Lastly and again as I've been saying, Buffalo isn't even in the top-15 of choices for coaches and players. So you go with what you get and hope it works out. Does Ralph not have an eye for FO/coaching talent? Perhaps. But he's the owner so deal with it.

What DB's did they "let go?" Winfield was offered an insane amount of money and the Bills couldn't match it ($10M ROSTER bonus, which would have hit the cap that year). Clements was WAY overpaid and overrated. Greer was an UDFA they developed who had 2 good seasons, but the Bills already had McGee and McKelvin, the Saints gave him a pretty good-sized deal, and Greer missed his last 6 games with the Bills, and has already missed 9 games with the Saints.

Who else? Peters? We've already gone down that road. He didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. So they obliged. Likely Lynch wanted to be on the West Coast/out of Buffalo.

Lastly and again as I've been saying, Buffalo isn't even in the top-15 of choices for coaches and players. So you go with what you get and hope it works out. Does Ralph not have an eye for FO/coaching talent? Perhaps. But he's the owner so deal with it.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Winfield(#1 pick), Clements(#1 pick) and Greer and apparently now Florence. Each of those CB's were the best CB on the team the year they were let go in free agency.

How many more examples do you need? LOL

The need for these new regimes to come in and cleanse the organization of the previous regimes choices has yielded diminishing returns.

Great post.

The NFL can have a salary cap and award the highest picks to the worst teams as a way to level the playing field. But until an organization has the right people in management making good decisions, it doesn't matter.

When the Bills went looking for a HC in January 2010, they found few individuals willing to interview. For a job in which only 32 openings exist, that tells me a lot about how NFL people see the Bills. And if a team doesn't have a savvy GM and good HC, they'll find themselves picking high more often than not no matter what.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Winfield(#1 pick), Clements(#1 pick) and Greer and apparently now Florence. Each of those CB's were the best CB on the team the year they were let go in free agency.

How many more examples do you need? LOL

Apparently you didn't read the post. The Bills couldn't match what the Vikes offered because of the salary cap. Clements wasn't worth what he was offered. And Greer has missed almost a full season's worth of games the past 3 years (the Saints drafted a DB pretty high this past draft). And what happens with Florence remains to be seen, but he had a disappointing season last year. I don't see how these examples are a knock against the Bills.

You just hit the nail on the head.

I would only add that, no matter the regime, the Bills' penchant for drafting DBs and then replacing them is even more stupid when one factors in how much the NFL rules are slanted in favor of offense.

OF course DBs are going to "get burned" and "suck" and have PI penalties. That's the nature of the beast when they make breathing on WRs illegal, and the Front 7 can generate NOTHING for a pass rush. But, guys get scapegoated for not being able to cover perfectly, run out of town, and then the team goes and spends more draft picks in a rinse and repeat.

When the rules are this skewed, it matters less who you draft to cover WRs. A much better strategy is to invest in DL/LBs and pressure the QB into making hurried mistakes on passing downs, while simultaneously having guys up front who can also stop the run.

We're putting up the shutters before we build the roof.

I honestly can't understand how Buddy Nix can have so much faith in guys like Shawne Merriman and Erik Pears that he can be searching around for cb's in the top 40 picks to allow them to not pay Drayton Florence. But then, I'm sure they were just sticking to their board. It's also good to know that Chris Kelsay is at least assured of a reserve role this season courtesy of a lack of competition.

I honestly can't understand how Buddy Nix can have so much faith in guys like Shawne Merriman and Erik Pears that he can be searching around for cb's in the top 40 picks to allow them to not pay Drayton Florence. But then, I'm sure they were just sticking to their board. It's also good to know that Chris Kelsay is at least assured of a reserve role this season courtesy of a lack of competition.

I do believe that this is what pisses me off the most about how the so-called BPA strategy played out this year.

Kelsay was so astonishingly bad and has such an outrageously stupid salary that you have to wonder whether Kelsay is like the Silence on "Doctor Who" --- an entity that controls many human actions and operates right out in the open because people forget all about them the moment they can't see this particular alien anymore.

.__________>/^\<

| ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '|__\

| WAMBULANCE - | i<<

I_______________|I

..""(@)"""""""""(@)"............

Guys, Ive had to gas this effing thing up 3 TIMES today already. Can you quit your crying? GAS ISNT CHEAP!!

Apparently you have to keep gassing it up Dank. Even with gas prices as they are, I'll throw in some 20's to benefit the cause. Your wambulance is classic.

!@#$, I can't believe we didn't get Bruce Miller and Greg Romeus. They would have looked so sweet on the practice squad. Now we'll just have to sign completely comparable players from the UDFA pool to do that. Dammit :angry:

But yea, until the Bills actually resign their own good veterans and become competitive for worthwhile free agents they will not be in the running for the Super Bowl. I don't see the point of it at this stage of the rebuilding process, but I think the team will be good enough and show enough progress this season to sway Ralphie to open the wallet next offseason.

(unrelated post. Did you go to City Honors for a couple years, maybe around 8th grade?)

We don't resign decent players and then drafttheir replacements and save $ yet don't get top noth FAs every year so we are like a hamster running that wheel in the cage thing. Jets go from crap to Champ game 2 yrs in a row with a total of like 5 or 7 picks over a 2 yr period because they sign top notch FAs that can play.