After a couple more years of getting beat by Brady

Well, I see you chose your screen name correctly

You seem to have omitted part of it though (fixed)

and now yours if fixed

Totally agree.. There must have been some serious demand in Mallett, for him to fall to the 3rd round. WE don't have luxury picks, NE does..

You should have let Buddy know that last year. Drafting a franchise QB isn't a luxury pick, it is a necessity. Quite simple. They should have taken a QB earlier in the second round, but what can you expect from Buddy Donahue. I wish Buddy and Co. would take notes from Belicheat on how to operate a draft, we might not be a non-contender every year with a draft class that is 80 percent busts like last year.

Edited by billsfreak

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills draft a good player at every D position ( Dl, B, Sec).... We can not waste a top 70 pick on a guy that will sit. We upgraded the D with this draft. Now we will address our OL holes... Then go into the season ans see if we can win with Fitz,.... If yes, Great, if not, with our new better D. we will get a Qb in 2012..... Plus all of these qbs are not impressive..... So we repaired the D,... Next will be the O

Edited by coldstorage5

Hate to break it to you, but on average every player in the third is more likely to be a bust than a big hit, in fact, this is true in every round including the first. None of them have better than a 50% success rate...So if each pick is a gamble why not gamble on a kid in the third who's ceiling is through the roof and could be a franchise guy for the next 10 years if you can develop him?

I hate to break it to you, but I was commenting on the fact that some here think that Mallet is the second coming . . . . I have absolutely no problem with the Bills picking a quality kid with lots of production over a dumb, slow kid who reportedly has some issues that caused every team with a need for a QB to pass on him. NE (with Brady and all of their picks) could afford the luxury of hoping that he is not another Ryan Leaf.

Bills draft a good player at every D position ( Dl, B, Sec).... We can not waste a top 70 pick on a guy that will sit. We upgraded the D with this draft. Now we will address our OL holes... Then go into the season ans see if we can win with Fitz,.... If yes, Great, if not, with our new better D. we will get a Qb in 2012..... Plus all of these qbs are not impressive..... So we repaired the D,... Next will be the O

Somebody felt that these QBs were impressive, 4 of them went in the top 12

Somebody felt that these QBs were impressive, 4 of them went in the top 12

We had the third pick in the draft and did not draft again until the second round. I would pick Darius over any of these QBs including Newton. If Ponder had dropped to the second round, there is little doubt that the Bills would have picked him. He was not there so that stuck to the board and played the cards that were dealt.

and now yours if fixed

You should have let Buddy know that last year. Drafting a franchise QB isn't a luxury pick, it is a necessity. Quite simple. They should have taken a QB earlier in the second round, but what can you expect from Buddy Donahue. I wish Buddy and Co. would take notes from Belicheat on how to operate a draft, we might not be a non-contender every year with a draft class that is 80 percent busts like last year.

1) Is (if?) you're going to be pretentious and "fix" someone's screen name, try spelling it correctly... DELUSIONAL

2) Franchise QB is not a pick, it's an assessment. If you make the assessment that someone is a franchise QB, you've also likely committed 3+ years to finding this out. NE has a franchise QB in Brady and can develop a QB behind him. Buffalo has a stop-gap in Fitz, and when they do draft a QB with an eye toward the future they need to develop him. If they take a flier on Mallet this year, they are not drafting a QB next year, which may be a better draft from a value standpoint. This year the QB value is all messed up due to the fact there has been no free agency and teams with QB needs are drafting QBs WAY TOO HIGH with respect to ability.

3) Are you really that upset that the Bills are trying to improve a defense that gave up 200+ yard on the ground in half of their games last year?

Edited by transient

After a really good day, day two of the draft for the Bills has been more of last years garbage. With Mallet still available in the 3rd round, how do you pass him up? Now when Brady retires we will get our butts kicked by Mallet for a decade plus. Buddy and Co. dropped the ball in day two of the draft. I had very little confidence in our front office going into yesterday, but the pick of Dareus was actually a good pick, but what they gained in my book yesterday, the lost today. I am convinced we will always be a also-ran in the NFL. What happened to Ralph saying they were going to get a franchise QB? Did Buddy give him a pill and send him to bed? So frustrating. Very tired of losing but it isn't going to end anytime soon.

The thing to remember here is that New England didn't think Mallett was worth a second round pick. If they did, they would have taken him in the second instead of risking loosing him by waiting until the third.

New England has dabbled with non-Brady quarterbacks before. Most of their experiments have fizzled out. (Such as Rohan Davey.) Matt Cassell had some success, but I don't necessarily see him as the next Tom Brady. Mallett isn't the next Tom Brady either; and probably won't be the next Matt Cassell.

Hate to break it to you, but on average every player in the third is more likely to be a bust than a big hit, in fact, this is true in every round including the first. None of them have better than a 50% success rate...So if each pick is a gamble why not gamble on a kid in the third who's ceiling is through the roof and could be a franchise guy for the next 10 years if you can develop him?

I'm not sure if this post is in support of taking mallet.

After a really good day, day two of the draft for the Bills has been more of last years garbage. With Mallet still available in the 3rd round, how do you pass him up? Now when Brady retires we will get our butts kicked by Mallet for a decade plus. Buddy and Co. dropped the ball in day two of the draft. I had very little confidence in our front office going into yesterday, but the pick of Dareus was actually a good pick, but what they gained in my book yesterday, the lost today. I am convinced we will always be a also-ran in the NFL. What happened to Ralph saying they were going to get a franchise QB? Did Buddy give him a pill and send him to bed? So frustrating. Very tired of losing but it isn't going to end anytime soon.

well nix rightly showed ralph that there wasnt a francise qb in this draft.....as far as mallet beating us as a patriot i highly doubt he ever sees the field......he will be suspended for doing drugs or something stooopid long before he gets that chance....didnt he already miss a pre draft interview in denver cause he was out partying?...i see it was crazy easy to pass on mallet and im glad nix and whaley are making the picks and not you!!!!!!! go bills!!!!

The thing to remember here is that New England didn't think Mallett was worth a second round pick. If they did, they would have taken him in the second instead of risking loosing him by waiting until the third.

New England has dabbled with non-Brady quarterbacks before. Most of their experiments have fizzled out. (Such as Rohan Davey.) Matt Cassell had some success, but I don't necessarily see him as the next Tom Brady. Mallett isn't the next Tom Brady either; and probably won't be the next Matt Cassell.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I also feel that Mallet may have been a bit of a pawn in the Belicheat game. Watching NFL Network with NE having back to back picks and suddenly Lombardi breaks the news that Mallet will soon be a Pat*. Pats* use first of two picks on Stevan Ridley then wait what seems like a long time before taking Mallet, a pick that was announced on TV probably 10 minutes ealier, at least. My gut feeling at that moment was that they would have rather traded out of that spot than take Mallet, and that announcing the imminent selection was an attempt to drum up a yet another trade for them. Or maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist...

Given the Pats' history with drafting QB's (they've drafted quite a few QB's since Brady), I'm not worried that Mallett will amount to much. And in the Pats' system, he's Bledsoe, and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

1) Is (if?) you're going to be pretentious and "fix" someone's screen name, try spelling it correctly... DELUSIONAL

2) Franchise QB is not a pick, it's an assessment. If you make the assessment that someone is a franchise QB, you've also likely committed 3+ years to finding this out. NE has a franchise QB in Brady and can develop a QB behind him. Buffalo has a stop-gap in Fitz, and when they do draft a QB with an eye toward the future they need to develop him. If they take a flier on Mallet this year, they are not drafting a QB next year, which may be a better draft from a value standpoint. This year the QB value is all messed up due to the fact there has been no free agency and teams with QB needs are drafting QBs WAY TOO HIGH with respect to ability.

3) Are you really that upset that the Bills are trying to improve a defense that gave up 200+ yard on the ground in half of their games last year?

No I am not upset that they are trying to fix a terrible defense, and as far as the first two picks, Dareus is a great pick and Williams is was also borderline first round talent. The ridiculous reach with the third round pick when Mallet was sitting right there for taking is what makes no sense. And for you info, any pick in the NFL Draft is an assessment, as picks at any draft spot and any position can and have be major busts or major superstars. You are 100% correct in that Fitz is a Stop Gap, which means short term, and with absolutely nobody to step when his short tenure is over. What happens if Fitz has a good year (last year may have been his best, but for conversations sakes), and he goes elsewhere for more money than Cheap Ralphy will pay him? There is no guarantee there will be a franchise tag, and anyone who would pay Fitz that much anyway is crazy. If he leaves then what do we do? Nobody with a brain can say Fitz is the long term answer with a straight face. I like Fitz but lets be a realist, we aren't going to challenge the Pats or Jets in the AFC East with him at the helm. I guess my point is, when you are one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL, you can't throw away picks just like you can't ignore a hole at the most important position on the team. There is no guarantee on a quarterback in the draft turning into the QB you need, but if you don't take one, you will never know. Kinda like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

No I am not upset that they are trying to fix a terrible defense, and as far as the first two picks, Dareus is a great pick and Williams is was also borderline first round talent. The ridiculous reach with the third round pick when Mallet was sitting right there for taking is what makes no sense. And for you info, any pick in the NFL Draft is an assessment, as picks at any draft spot and any position can and have be major busts or major superstars. You are 100% correct in that Fitz is a Stop Gap, which means short term, and with absolutely nobody to step when his short tenure is over. What happens if Fitz has a good year (last year may have been his best, but for conversations sakes), and he goes elsewhere for more money than Cheap Ralphy will pay him? There is no guarantee there will be a franchise tag, and anyone who would pay Fitz that much anyway is crazy. If he leaves then what do we do? Nobody with a brain can say Fitz is the long term answer with a straight face. I like Fitz but lets be a realist, we aren't going to challenge the Pats or Jets in the AFC East with him at the helm. I guess my point is, when you are one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL, you can't throw away picks just like you can't ignore a hole at the most important position on the team. There is no guarantee on a quarterback in the draft turning into the QB you need, but if you don't take one, you will never know. Kinda like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

I don't think Mallet has the maturity to step in and be a leader on the field at this point, and I doubt he will in a year either, so in the scenario you describe I wouldn't want the Bills counting on him. Maybe he'll grow up in a few years in NE, but while they can afford to take the gamble I'm glad the Bills didn't.

Did you sit down with Mallett and hear straight from him what's the truth behind all the rumors? Did you have a team of personnel evaluators working for months turning over every stone trying to get to the bottom of this whole Mallett thing? Every single NFL team that was in the market for a QB this offseason did this and evidently they didn't like what they heard from Mallett, or what they found out about him, or maybe both.

Edited by Kingfish

Not sure I trust Buddy's judgement on QB's. He and Chan installed Trent as our starter last year and did not bother to go get a decent QB last year or this year (so far)

I honestly think that it was a case of Trent working the system. In mini-camp/OTA's Trent was making all the right plays(basically not checking it down).

When he finally got into a game, he choked.

I think how they skipped on Jimmy and Colt last year is a good indication of them knowing what they want in a QB.

It's called desperation. If we would have had free agency I am sure that these 4 teams would have overpaid for the chumps in the scrap heap.

Part desperation and even a bigger part that those teams realize you don't normally win without a franchise quarterback, and you especially don't win with a backup quarterback starting for you. The Bills just haven't figured that out yet.