We can win with Fitz

Once you guys figure out that we can, indeed, win with Fitz, you'll see that it is clear that we need to get stronger on the OL and LB's (DT taken care of). I would personally like to see our offense play ball without having to worry about the defense giving up 400 yards per game each week, and actually be able to run the ball with a lead!

Focus on the lines first, then defense the rest of the way!

Go get a veteran FA in Free Agency to back up Fitz in case he goes down with an injury.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you guys figure out that we can, indeed, win with Fitz, you'll see that it is clear that we need to get stronger on the OL and LB's (DT taken care of). I would personally like to see our offense play ball without having to worry about the defense giving up 400 yards per game each week, and actually be able to run the ball with a lead!

Focus on the lines first, then defense the rest of the way!

Go get a veteran FA in Free Agency to back up Fitz in case he goes down with an injury.

Fitz over the 9 games following Balt game to finish out the season:

56% completion

12 TDs

16 Turnovers

QB rating = 70%

We cant win with that no matter how you spin it. That is amongst the worst in the NFL.

56% completion

12 TDs

16 Turnovers

QB rating = 70%

We cant win with that no matter how you spin it. That is amongst the worst in the NFL.

Why cherry pick his stats? Look at his entire year, or does that hurt your argument? Fitz is fine for 2011. We'll eventually get a new QB. But a better defense will bring us closer faster than drafting a QB out of desperation.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

56% completion

12 TDs

16 Turnovers

QB rating = 70%

Agreed...

I'm not saying the Bills can't win with Fitz at QB because I can't see into the future...I am saying that winning consistently, winning 10 Games or more in a Season with the QB Ryan Fitzpatrick has been thus far in his career is almost impossible...He's going to have to get MUCH better...And it's a stretch at this point to assume a QB with a 12-23 Record as a Starter and a career 73 QB Rating is going to be able to improve that much...Even though 2010 was by far his best season so far Fitz is going to have to do MUCH better for The Bills to be a consistant winner...I'm not a gambling man, but if I was I would not bet on Fitz...Not yet anyway... B-)

Why cherry pick his stats? Look at his entire year, or does that hurt your argument? Fitz is fine for 2011. We'll eventually get a new QB. But a better defense will bring us closer faster than drafting a QB out of desperation.

PTR

Cherry picking? It could be easily be explained as how Fitz did after Teams got a few weeks of Game Film on him...I don't see how that's cherry-picking...It's reality...And the stats from those last 9 Games are MUCH closer to the QB he was before the first 4 Games...So, at this point anyway, it's actually more likely the first 4 Games were the exception...And I'm not predicting anything...Just saying it is what it is... B-)

PTR

if you don't want to cherry pick, then look at his entire career stats and see that he sucks terribly.

PTR

You are redefining cherry picking. The poster "picked" the last 9 of the 13 games Fitz played.

I don't understand why this is such a debate. He is what he is. He's a 55% passer who will throw 20-25 td's and 15-20 int's. Everybody loves him. Fans. FO. Teammates. He's a great leader and a gamer but nobody wants him to be their starter for longer than 1-2 years. He is an excellent backup (hence why his 4 games before Baltimore were outstanding, because that what backs are supposed to do, win 1-4 games for your team) and the rest of the year he showed who he really is. He doesn't have an accurate enough arm. Over throws and under throws too many passes but will pull the occasion play out of his backside that has everyone saying "Wow, this guy has the potential to be great"

Edited by TheBlackMamba

General consensus seems to be that Gailey prefers mobile qbs. Is this because of the qb's he's coached in the past (kordell,thigpen,fitz), or because that is who he ended up with and made the most out of it? Fitz was clearly the more mobile qb between him and TE, yet TE initially was named starter. My question is Gailey's strength working with mobile qbs or is it that he could really take any type of qb and exploit his strengths and hide his weaknesses?

Thoughts?

PTR

Who is cherry picking? Fans fell in love with him after Balt game, I was just showing how he performed and finished the season following that game as people (because of that game) think he did better than he did.

In the only other 4 games I left off, THREE of them were 3 of his worst games of the season...NE, Jets, Jax. The BS "stat" line makes them look better than they were, but in NE he just dumped off all day and struggle to sustain drives all day. And if it wasnt for a Spiller ST TD, we would have been down 4 scores in the fourth.

Jets game was one of the worst games he played all year, yet he got "2 TD's" because he got a garbage time TD in the final minute of the game down 31 points against backups and prevent D.

Jax game he started ok, then completely vanished and fell apart in the 2nd half where he ONCE AGAIN, got a garbage time TD in the final minute of the blow out loss to make his stat line look more effective than he really was.

Then the Balt game, his best statistical game of the season. Yet, no one wants to acknowledge, that his 2 terrible INT's in the third are a major reason why we lost the game because it gave away our double digit lead for good against a much more talented team. So even though his stats were great, his performance in the 3rd was a major a contributor to that lost...

So you can have your precious stats for the first 4 games if you want, but he wasnt good in 3 of them...

And furthermore...if you look at his stats on the whole season anyway, the only positive one he has is TD's (and a third came in just two of his games, and several others in garbage time) and he is in the bottom half of the league in just about every other important QB category.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'd like to see what he can do behind a line that can run block (so teams can't just tee off on him), while playing with the lead (so teams can't just tee off on him), and with a full off-season of work and a full training camp (as the starter getting full reps).

Edited by ShipUPride

I'd like to see what he can do behind a line that can run block (so teams can't just tee off on him), while playing with the lead (so teams can't just tee off on him), and with a full off-season of work and a full training camp.

he's 28! he's had 6 full off seasons and 6 full training camps and he is still going to be a 55% passer and around 70-75% qb rating

the qb play around here has been so piss poor the last 15 years, this is actually an improvement, but he is not a long term answer.

Is Fitz perfect? No. Is he a great QB? No. Is he a pretty good QB who gives us a chance to win? Yes.

In his first game of 2010, AT New England, he put us in a position to tie in the final minutes.

AT Baltimore, he put on a show and had us in position to win. The D surrendered the win in OT.

AT Kansas City, he took us to OT against the Chiefs. The D surrendered the win in OT.

Against Chicago, we were tied in the final minutes. The D surrendered a game-ending field goal.

He led us to victory against the Lions.

He led an epic come-from-behind thumping of the Bengals in Cincy.

He took us to OT against the Super Bowl Steelers and had a perfectly thrown ball to Stevie in OT to win it...dropped.

He got wins over Cleveland and Miami.

Yes, I'm cherry-picking stats. Yes, our 4 wins came against mediocre teams. But our close losses came against playoff teams.

Wins are what matters, which is why I'm not giving him credit for being a champion. But there were A LOT of units that let this team down, and in a majority of the cases, it wasn't our quarterback.

We need a star QB, but Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallett aren't stars. We have enough "average," thank you.

he's 28! he's had 6 full off seasons and 6 full training camps and he is still going to be a 55% passer and around 70-75% qb rating

the qb play around here has been so piss poor the last 15 years, this is actually an improvement, but he is not a long term answer.

I agree. I don;t see why people so overvalue Fitz's performance from last year. He is not good. He is better than the crap we've had since Jim Kelly, but he is not good.

If you want to see what he would do with a good offense, look what he did in Cincy. When he was there, Carson Palmer was putting up ridiculous numbers, Fitz was terrible.

The more we debate this, the more I want to Bills to draft a QB with our pick in Round 2 or trade for one when trading is allowed.

the qb play around here has been so piss poor the last 15 years, this is actually an improvement.

This is EXACTLY what I believe to be the problem with a lot of Bills Fans when they evaluate Fitz...They're comparing him to JP and Trent and not to the better NFL QB's... B-)

Is Fitz perfect? No. Is he a great QB? No. Is he a pretty good QB who gives us a chance to win? Yes.

In his first game of 2010, AT New England, he put us in a position to tie in the final minutes.

AT Baltimore, he put on a show and had us in position to win. The D surrendered the win in OT.

AT Kansas City, he took us to OT against the Chiefs. The D surrendered the win in OT.

Against Chicago, we were tied in the final minutes. The D surrendered a game-ending field goal.

He took us to OT against the Super Bowl Steelers and had a perfectly thrown ball to Stevie in OT to win it...dropped.

Yes, I'm cherry-picking stats. Yes, our 4 wins came against mediocre teams. But our close losses came against playoff teams.

Wins are what matters, which is why I'm not giving him credit for being a champion. But there were A LOT of units that let this team down, and in a majority of the cases, it wasn't our quarterback.

We need a star QB, but Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallett aren't stars. We have enough "average," thank you.

1.) Ryan had a lot of turnovers which led to or directly caused us to lose games.

2.) You have no way of knowing whether or not Dalton or Mallett will be stars. Nobody does.

3.) Average would be an upgrade from Fitz

I'd like to see what he can do behind a line that can run block (so teams can't just tee off on him), while playing with the lead (so teams can't just tee off on him), and with a full off-season of work and a full training camp (as the starter getting full reps).

Thank you. But <shhhhhh> Everybody else is right:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter that his WR corp, RB, OL and D continued to fall to injury in his last 9 games. It's HIS fault alone that the Bills sucked!

He's a red-headed QB, so there's no hope..

<sarcasm off>

Let me illustrate how homeristic this stuff is and how Fitz's season is being made out to be more than it was...

He was terrible against KC and had ONLY ONE good drive late in the game...he had 4 dropped INTs in that game (2 of which should have been pick sixes) and completed 33% of his passes with a terrible INT after he led us to our lone TD that game. In the final drive after that TD and in OT he completed just 33% of his passes with an INT and he missed a wide open game winning TD pass to Spiller on top of that.

We should have won the game in regulation, but his AWFUL Int when he missed an open Lee (by a mile) almost in FG range for a first down and over a min left in regulation is the only reason we went to OT in the first place. We also should have been blown out, but KC failed to score too often and the their D had gifts delivered right into their hands and dropped them FOUR times.

This is the last game you should be using to say how well Fitz played...he was not the reason we had a chance to win that game...we almost won that game IN-SPITE of how inept Fitz was, not because of him.

These other games can be broken down too...but whats the point

Edited by Alphadawg7

:thumbsup:

Who cares what Fitz's stats are, Just win the damn game..! With a better D we would have won 4 or 5 more games last year..I think Fitz deserves another year before we go saying we can't take a team deep into the playoffs...There will be deeper QB's in next years draft...